Sad Pro-Cars

Probably the most valuable piece of the above car is the key chain laying on the front seat. The photo didn't reproduce too well - but it has the M-M logo on top and it says "Funeral Coaches - Ambulances, Miller-Meteor Division, Wayne Corporation, Piqua, Ohio 45356". Not sure how common they are, but it's the first one I've seen.

If I had seen that M-M key fob laying there it would have been "liberated" from its place of rest!:17875::071:

If I had seen that M-M key fob laying there it would have been "liberated" from its place of rest!

Yard I frequent has literally thousands of cars. Each Cadillac I check has already had the VIN plate removed, procars included. Finally found one on a '61 Superior (last year). Managed to remove 2 rusty screws and ended up cutting the other two out before throwing in my items to take up front. Following conversation ensued:

"I have no idea how much for that. Never priced one."

You have hundreds missing?!?

"Yes, but since 1961 you're the first person that actually asked a price! Everyone else has just put them in their pocket."

Pretty pathetic, those that feel an item is small and needs 'liberating' really. So I hope you meant 'buy'.

Pretty pathetic, those that feel an item is small and needs 'liberating' really. So I hope you meant 'buy'.

Didn't catch the joke there I guess! I'm now going to become a stiff collar and no more joking!

Now, are you talking about VIN plates being gone? Wouldn't the local DMV catch on to that if rusty VIN plates appeared on another car?

As for the M-M key fobs I have about 4 or 5 in my collection. I have the original for the 77 that's in nice shape. I got two more from Amb-Coach in Nashvile that they GAVE to me, one went on the Caddy crest key set for the 73 and I got two more from Danny this summer, one (worst of the bunch and hard to read) went on the everyday key for the 73 and the other is in my display at home. So they really aren't that hard to come by. I will try to get a good photo of one of the better ones and post this week.

I didn't think that's what you meant. Happened to have heard that term used negatively too much in the past. ;)

Like those that liberate radiators and catalytic converters...

Some collect VIN plates, others actually use them on cars (along with welding in matching frame number). You'd be surprised what some fetch, all dependent on build codes.

I've got a 73 M-M that I'm parting out and will be removing the VIN plate along with the M-M plate just to keep someone from placing them on another vehicle as the day is drawing nie for it to go to the crusher! Haven't seen the VIN plates gone on cars in yards here but will look more closely on my next yard run just to see how many are gone.

BTW, a departing photo will be posted to this forum when the crusher day comes!

I've got a 73 M-M that I'm parting out and will be removing the VIN plate along with the M-M plate just to keep someone from placing them on another vehicle as the day is drawing nie for it to go to the crusher! Haven't seen the VIN plates gone on cars in yards here but will look more closely on my next yard run just to see how many are gone.

BTW, a departing photo will be posted to this forum when the crusher day comes!

That'll be a really sad procar pic.

One of the reasons I stopped, besides taking the photos, was to "liberate" the key fob. I knew it was there from the last time I looked at the car, about a year ago. The car is not in a public salvage yard, it's in the woods behind a friend's house, and I would be willing to bet that I'm the only one to have opened the doors to the car in the last 15 years. I didn't "liberate" it yesterday, as intended, because the car's owner wasn't home, and while I'm pretty sure he won't mind, I did want to ask first. It's not in the best shape, the thread holding the two halves together is coming apart, but I thought it was pretty neat.

I know that Jeremy and Shawn, like myself and all members of the PCS, are nothing but the most outstanding, trustworthy and honest individuals, and meant "liberate" in only it's purest sense.:yankchain:

Came with our '68

Although our car is currently a sad pro car the key fob is in good shape.

Attachments

• keyfob.jpg
    keyfob.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 709
Thanks for posting the pic - neat to see the (small) differences between '68 and '72 - they dropped the Divco and just put Wayne Corporation, and added the zip code for Piqua.

Sad Pro Cars

Can anyone identify what, when, where, and who's?

Attachments

• scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 713
That is only the 3rd one of those I have seen. The other 2 were 1955s. One of those was needing everything and on ebay a few years ago and originally came from Kentucky or West Virginia and the other is a very nice original tucked away in a garage for many years. Its so unusual to me that the top doesn't fold. Its just canvas on a steel framework that looks like a typical folding convertible mechanism with no functional joints.

Something here for everyone...

Check out the '47 or '48 S&S at 6:20:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFdpzvh6Vf0&feature=related[/ame]

'47; '48 & '49 grills are similar and neither retains prewar resemblance.

I have a CA friend looking for a set of landaus for his '49 S&S. Other than his description of appearing "similar but different" to later S&S bars I didn't know what to keep an eye out for. Now I do. ;)

Back