Classy Cadillacs

Chambers A.S. (Terre Haute, IN)
1972 Classic combination

This car was converted to a hightop by a funeral home in Ohio, then later sold to Chambers. C.A.S. was a non-emergency transfer service; this was their only car for at least 10 years.

(SL photos)

This thing looks hideous, from all sides in my opinion. I can't imagine a company being that hard up for cash that they would put together something like that! I'm surprised it wouldn't have been more cost effective for them to just buy a used coach than to hammer and nail this thing together. Especially since it was being used as a transport car, my gosh they could have just used any nice used limousine style coach, put a beacon ray on it, and called it a day.

well, since this thread IS called "Classy Cadillacs" I figured I might post a recent picture I took of MY coach that I thought came out nicely and shows her in a very classy pose!! Well, at least "I" think so!!

602601_3626925950218_1534813080_n.jpg

Hope it posts nicely!

Dana Bennett
Forestville, NY

Johnson Space Center (Houston, TX)
1964 Kensington

(SL collection)

I've had this photo for years (thanks, Walt!) but was mystified about the light in front of the grille. At first I assumed it was a Roto-Ray, but with what - a protective cover of some sort? I vowed I wouldn't post or share it until I found out what it was.

Fast forward to yesterday: I was looking through the November, 1962 issue of FIRE ENGINEERING magazine and saw this ad. Eureka!

Attachments

• 1964 SS Johnson Space Center Houston TX.jpg
    1964 SS Johnson Space Center Houston TX.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 985
  • fog light.jpg
    fog light.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 983
The guy that did it was usually inebriated. He even went on calls in that condition. He refused to let his employees help with it. The Suburban that he also "re-finished" looked even worse.

I'll have to go digging into my archives too because I have a photo of a "Tatosian" flower car (likely the same one?) I don't know much about these either, except that Tatosian supposedly did a limited number (one, two, a few?) for loyal M-M customers who needed a flower car but did not want to purchase a Superior.

Please post the photo when you find it.

1964 Kensington

(SL collection)

I've had this photo for years (thanks, Walt!) but was mystified about the light in front of the grille. At first I assumed it was a Roto-Ray, but with what - a protective cover of some sort? I vowed I wouldn't post or share it until I found out what it was.

Fast forward to yesterday: I was looking through the November, 1962 issue of FIRE ENGINEERING magazine and saw this ad. Eureka!

Very cool, never seen one of these.

What are you talking about - the guy that did what?
The owner that took an axe to the top of the 72 Combo and made it a high top
(now owned by Chambers). I have talked to some of his former employees that worked for him when he did it, and they said that they tried to stop him from doing it. The Combo was even leased at the time. The owner drove it to the Superior dealer in Lima, OH at the time and parked it in front of his shop well after they had closed and left it with the keys in the ignition. The dealer called our service the next day (as we had the same phone number) and inquired about it.:pat:

To my knowledge, this was the only Cadillac they built:

Whitley F.H. (Douglasville, GA)
1959 Barnett combination

(factory photo)

Attachments

• Barnett.jpg
    Barnett.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,170
  • Barnett 59 Cadillac.jpg
    Barnett 59 Cadillac.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,161
Sorry for the poor photo, but it is the only one I could find of this fintastic 59 that was in use in my home town of Windsor, Connecticut.

8069015123_6260975e4a_o.png

1959 S&S Victoria 3-way.
Owned by Buddy Cox, Mt. Vernon, Kentucky.
Ex- Glenn Funeral Home, Owensboro, Kentucky.

Taken at the PCS Volunteer Chapter Meet Berea, KY Sept 22, 2012.

Jeremy D. Ledford photos.

Attachments

• Berea 2012 070.jpg
    Berea 2012 070.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 892
  • Berea 2012 076.jpg
    Berea 2012 076.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 897
1959 S&S Victoria 3-way.
Owned by Buddy Cox, Mt. Vernon, Kentucky.
Ex- Glenn Funeral Home, Owensboro, Kentucky.

Taken at the PCS Volunteer Chapter Meet Berea, KY Sept 22, 2012.

Jeremy D. Ledford photos.

I don't know about the rest of you, but (sometimes) it just seems like you have seen one or several dozen too many 1959 Cadillacs AKA; the "Holy Grail" of Professional Cars, but this one is definately an exception to the rule... BEAUTIFUL CAR! ... thanks for sharing! MM

1964 Kensington

(SL collection)

Since many of us seem to have heard of this type of light, I'm wondering how effective they were. And I wonder if they're still being made?

Abe

Back