Unity 10000 Dual Head Spotlight Springs

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I am restoring the Unity M10000 dual-head spotlights on my 54XL.

I need to replace some of the springs which are rusted out. Unity does not seem to manufacture these anymore, so any recommendations as to where I could find new or reproduction springs?

Worst case scenario I can always fabricate new ones, but if I do, where do I find the proper material for the springs?

The plate is not as bad as it looks, it is mostly surface rust that will clean-up and I will use chrome paint to finish it up if required.Springs 01.jpgSprings 02.jpgSprings 03.jpgSprings 04.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my knowledge, those springs were never available as a separate item. The entire plate was available as a part, however, that hasn't been available in more than 10 years. There was a fellow at Unity that I had dealt with to get obsolete parts, however, he passed away about 4 years ago, and there is no one there that has the experience that he had and knows the old product line as he did.
Possibly you could salvage all the good springs, and drill out the rivets and transfer them to one backplate to make one good unit at a time. I have no suggestions as to how to fabricate new springs out of wire.

The spots do show up at swap meets. But people think there made of gold. Finding one intack would be the problem. A vender Were one could get the spring wire might be easer to find then a good used plate. Try putting it in the search and see what popes up.

Most used heads are going to have the same issue. I probably have 8(or more) of these spots in a drawer at my shop, but not willing to part them out.

My suggestion would be to visit your local hardware store and purchase springs with approximately the same wire diameter and the largest available coiled diameter. You will also need round nose pliers to form the tight ring where your new bulb spring attaches to the back plate. Use pop rivets or screws to attach your replacement springs.
You may have to experiment some to find springs with the right temper - just don't lose your temper when the first set does not come out perfect.
This is part of the "fun" of restoring an old car.

If you do a lot of the work yourself, restoring an ambulance means that you have to be a carpenter, electrician, mechanic, spring technician, flooring person, etc.

This is what makes it all fun!

Springs are formed and then tempered to become springs. The process gives the springs a memory, and defeating that memory is difficult, to say the least. I see a lot of them at the swap meets, but most are badly pitted, which would give a good indication that the springs are gone. Best to find a nos or very little pitting on one, and hope for the best.

Back