Pontiac finally on the restoration pathway

Most of the paint is finally off. I don't know what kind of reddish-brown primer was there but that stuff was hard as nails! The next step is for the body man to continue with the self-etching primer as then body filler. Interesting to see how and where the lead was applied. Little in some areas and lots in other areas.

IMG_5161.jpgIMG_5162.jpgIMG_5163.jpgIMG_5164.jpg

A little 36 grit on the 9 inch sander will have that down to shining steel in half a day. One other hint if you put in the pertronicks solid state points she will start and run a lot better. They do make one in 6 volts for that engine.

A little 36 grit on the 9 inch sander will have that down to shining steel in half a day. One other hint if you put in the pertronicks solid state points she will start and run a lot better. They do make one in 6 volts for that engine.
Thanks Ed. Yes, I have been using a 9 inch disc with 40 grit on the larger areas. Man...that sure cuts down on the time. I learned that you need to switch back to a smaller sander with 80 when you're closer to the leaded areas. I'm definitely going with the elctronic points.

Those dirty rotten little mice bast#$%@. Built nests along the top of the windshield surround. Here are the before and after photos.Resized_20230207_094145_6042.JPGResized_20230207_094231_3665.jpgIMG_5318.jpgIMG_5319.jpg

Doors have now been media blasted and primed. Media blasting saved me many hours of work trying to get into all the small nooks and crannies. Where the weather stripping attached was like cement plus along the bottom of the door there is a strip of metal teeth designed to grip the weather stripping. It would have been a nightmare trying to clean this area properly.

Attachments

• IMG_5378.jpg
    IMG_5378.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 15
Brave or naive perhaps. In any event, it's a learning journey for me and I'm enjoying doing the work I'm capable of.

Wasted space for sure but I'm guessing the time and materials needed to make a compartment wasn't something that Barnette would make money on.

Back