How many Criterion's are left...

The late Jess Byrd bought what was supposedly the last Critierion built in June 1976 after it served as a demo at the Indianapolis 500 on Memorial Day weekend. It had a Orange belt, 2 - Federal 184 Beacons on the front upper roof, 2 red roof flashers on each side , a Federal PA20A Interceptor siren and 2 Federal CP 25 Speakers mounted between the tunnel lights. Sorry to say that I don't have any pictures of it and that I don't know what happened to it after it was retired. The last time I saw it, the body was in fair shape but rust was moving in on the roof

The late Jess Byrd bought what was supposedly the last Critierion built in June 1976 after it served as a demo at the Indianapolis 500 on Memorial Day weekend. It had a Orange belt, 2 - Federal 184 Beacons on the front upper roof, 2 red roof flashers on each side , a Federal PA20A Interceptor siren and 2 Federal CP 25 Speakers mounted between the tunnel lights. Sorry to say that I don't have any pictures of it and that I don't know what happened to it after it was retired. The last time I saw it, the body was in fair shape but rust was moving in on the roof

I always thought this was the last Criterion. But it can't be since this is a 1975.

Attachments

• 197520MM20lights1.jpg
    197520MM20lights1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 428
you just see the molding on the front roof. but that pictures may be one of the ones I had miss labled. I'll check it. we were swaping a lot of them discussing the grab bars. got to love that pictures with the snow tires on the car.

???

The car in the photo you posted, Richard, is indeed a 1976 model. The photo was taken in 1995 when Jon Wurm and I visited Lifeline Ambulance Service in Des Moines, Iowa. (The photo should be credited to Jon Wurm.) The owner told us that his understanding was that this was the last Criterion off the line, although no data was provided to prove this.

We do know this rig last saw service in Mt. Morris, Illinois, was traded in to Foster Coach Sales ca. 1989, and then sold to the owner of Lifeline. Not knowing the ownership history beyond that, it is possible the car was owned by Jess Byrd, as Mr. Tarbert suggests. The physical appearance and emergency equipment seem to match.

One thing I do recall as being "odd" about this car was that it had no "First Aid Bar" (medicine cabinet) in the rear loading door. Criterions came standard with such cabinet in both the rear loading door and right rear side door. This car had a correct Miller-Meteor inner door panel that was orange to match the rest of the interior. It likely could have come from the factory like this, or the original door panel with cabinet could have been damaged and replaced at some point in time.

Glad the year was cleared up. For some reason this picture was tagged as a 75 in my file and will need to change that.

So this could possibly be the last Criterion.

CRITERION GRAND LIST add.

With the information supplied by Robert I got to thinking just how many Criterion's are still out there. Please add to the list if you know one or someone who owns one.

1) Richard's 74 Criterion
2) Robert's Criterion
3) Kevin Lynch's 74 Criterion he sold which went to California
4) Chris (the bright green and white) Criterion
5) Danny's 74 Criterion he just sold
6) The blue and yellow one which sold on ebay a while ago
7) The 74 in Colordao
8) The white one Zach had and sold
9) Doug's red and white Criterion he picked up in PA
10) Bayshore Criterion #1
11) Bayshore Criterion #2

I know there are more but this should get us started and please correct me
on any of these.(QUOTE)

Richard very nice meeting you & your wife @ Albany. Hope this response
can be seen 5 months later, but i just read it today-3:15 am. On your list of 11 -Chris #4 What was his procar history?? My best friend & fellow AS operator BENOITs of Somersworth, NH made my office his first stop upon receiving his NEW screaming Kelly green / white Criterion (his own paint #).

On your list of 11 -Chris #4 What was his procar history?? My best friend & fellow AS operator BENOITs of Somersworth, NH made my office his first stop upon receiving his NEW screaming Kelly green / white Criterion (his own paint #).

I'm not sure but perhaps Robert Sheperd or Ed can shed some light on it for you.

With the information supplied by Robert I got to thinking just how many Criterion's are still out there. Please add to the list if you know one or someone who owns one.

1) Richard's 74 Criterion
2) Robert's Criterion
3) Kevin Lynch's 74 Criterion he sold which went to California
4) Chris (the bright green and white) Criterion
5) Danny's 74 Criterion he just sold
6) The blue and yellow one which sold on ebay a while ago
7) The 74 in Colordao
8) The white one Zach had and sold
9) Doug's red and white Criterion he picked up in PA
10) Bayshore Criterion #1
11) Bayshore Criterion #2

I know there are more but this should get us started and please correct meon any of these.
Richard very nice meeting you & your wife @ Albany. Hope this response can be seen 5 months later, but i just read it today-3:15 am. On your list of 11 -Chris #4 What was his procar history?? My best friend & fellow AS operator BENOITs of Somersworth, NH made my office his first stop upon receiving his NEW screaming Kelly green / white Criterion (his own paint #).
The owner, Chris Bruno, is in CA. I believe he acquired it out there and had it painted that color to advertise his business.

Chris car was a calf car that started life as Orange and white in this lettering for this company. went to a man that had a shop make some repairs on it. it got sold for the mechanics lean to the Co. that Chris was working for. was painted green and white then. when he left the Co. he was able to keep the car. it is now red and white.

Attachments

• chris 1974 criterion #74350 cb 4 off the truck.jpg
    chris 1974 criterion #74350 cb 4 off the truck.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 550
did I not just say it's now red and white. same set of colors as Roberts 75 and lettered for a new company Chris is now working for. photo curiosity of Chris, threw Robert, to me, now to you. cell phone one so we are only showing the new lettering and this plug is for cheap advertising for this company. half the reason one thinks there are so many cars is they change colors like women's hair.

Attachments

• 1974 mm chris.jpg
    1974 mm chris.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 492
I just had to ask

What is a Criterion? Can somebody put into context the historical significance, if any, compared to other ambulances. Lifeliner, etc. I was trying to understand all the replys...seems like an important topic with so many. Or direct me to an article that explains it. When I come to my first meet, I don't want to look like a hayseed from Kansas, if possible.

don't put the wheat straw in your teeth and you'll be OK.
if you check the pictures you'll see it's a body style of MM ambulance they only made about 150 of so of from 74 to 76. it has the blank sides and the half door on the center drivers side. a walk threw stand up in pt compartment, with cabinets on the big wall. it was atempt to make time with the van conversions and along with the superior 54xl went away with the down sized caddys in 77.

What is a Criterion? Can somebody put into context the historical significance, if any, compared to other ambulances. Lifeliner, etc. I was trying to understand all the replys...seems like an important topic with so many. Or direct me to an article that explains it. When I come to my first meet, I don't want to look like a hayseed from Kansas, if possible.

This copy of the Criterion brochure may help answer your questions.

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 407
  • Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 401
of course now this is not to be confused with the hearse of the same name some years earlier ether. so when there talking make sure it is a Criterion ambulance there talking about. the truth is if you see one at the meet it is a rare opportunity. there just aren't that many round. I consider my self lucky to have had the opportunity to get to work on two of them in the same day. all total I have done something on 3 in my life time. to me there just like all the rest they rust out and fall apart to.

did I not just say it's now red and white. same set of colors as Roberts 75 and lettered for a new company Chris is now working for. photo curiosity of Chris, threw Robert, to me, now to you. cell phone one so we are only showing the new lettering and this plug is for cheap advertising for this company. half the reason one thinks there are so many cars is they change colors like women's hair.

Well heck, I couldn't afford to paint my old Criterion once and Chris changes and paints his everytime he gets a new job.:pat:

Back