Carryall ambulance photos

Via San Diego EMS.

2934228338_f30715729d_o.jpg

Skip Goulet sent along some pictures of a '72 National Chevy Suburban ambulance that Barry McCroy in SC recently bought in CA.

Attachments

• 130610 1972 ambulance 021 - Copy.jpg
    130610 1972 ambulance 021 - Copy.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 740
  • 130610 1972 ambulance 009 - Copy.jpg
    130610 1972 ambulance 009 - Copy.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 730
While I'm here, here's a Starline Suburban ('74 I think) from Professional Ambulance of Fairfax, VA. They bought it used in 1978. I used to work for the sister company, Silver Spring Ambulance in MD. (But that's not me in the picture.)

Attachments

• 74StarlineSuburbanProfessionalAmbFairfaxVA.jpg
    74StarlineSuburbanProfessionalAmbFairfaxVA.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 732
With the November date and sign announcing "here comes Ottawa", that would be the Grey Cup Parade, the Canadian Football League equivalent to the Superbowl.

Skip Goulet sent along some pictures of a '72 National Chevy Suburban ambulance that Barry McCroy in SC recently bought in CA.

Thanks for posting these, Steve. Barry McRoy is fire chief in Walterboro, SC. He found this truck on Ebay and bought it. He flew out to San Jose and drove it all the way home. You can see that the previous owners did a "number" on the emergency equipment. They removed the beacon; gutted the CP25 speaker, removed the Interceptor that had been inside and changed all the tunnel lights to clear. Barry has a huge collection of emergency equipment that he's built up over the past few years, so re-equipping the truck will be no problem. What he is looking for, however, is an vintage Motorola radio that was setup for the old "HEAR" system, with the telephone dial on the control head and a Model 30 cot, if anyone in the group has anything available.

... What he is looking for, however, is an vintage Motorola radio that was setup for the old "HEAR" system, with the telephone dial on the control head and a Model 30 cot, if anyone in the group has anything available.
Oh, you didn't tell me that. E-mail me or have him e-mail me, I have cots and at least one dial head (not sure of the whole radio).

St. John Ambulance units in parade dated 11/24/56.

Gilbert A. Milne & Co photographers and part of the City of Toronto Archives.

White vehicle is a 55-56 GMC. 57 had a different bumper, 55 and 56 had subtle differences that would not be seen in a photo from that distance. Chevy did not have bumper bullets or badge in center of hood.

While I'm here, here's a Starline Suburban ('74 I think) from Professional Ambulance of Fairfax, VA. They bought it used in 1978. I used to work for the sister company, Silver Spring Ambulance in MD. (But that's not me in the picture.)

Nice! I didn't know that Starline ever produced a Suburban ambulance. I have an '84 Starline/Chevy Type II that belonged to a small town S.E. of Lubbock. I've had it for 11 years and it only has 43K on it.

The Suburban was the original vehicle that Starline produced.

That's very interesting. I've only seen two Starline ambulances in service in this part of the country, although there are probably others. I've always been a big fan of Suburbans, so I would've loved to have seen one.

As I noted, I have an '84 Type II Chevy Starline ambulance. The only othe Starline I've seen was a '70s Dodge Type II Starline ambulance in Friona, TX.

Here is one of my personal collection.

Service d'ambulance Gauthier, Dolbeau-Mistassini, Quebec, Nov 2. 1971, crashed while trying to cross the red light (2 mins of walk from my house actually!) in Code-3.

Here is one of my personal collection.

Service d'ambulance Gauthier, Dolbeau-Mistassini, Quebec, Nov 2. 1971, crashed while trying to cross the red light (2 mins of walk from my house actually!) in Code-3.

Was this a Canadian-built rig, Martin. I've seen those little torpedo lights on some of the Canadian ambulances that appear in Peter Adsten's book.

Back