Carryall ambulance photos

Yes probably a cheap home-made built, you can identify the wood veneer floor without linoleum haha. I asked about those lights on another post .. they are 1961 plymouth tail lights!

There are pics floating around in cyberspace of at least two modular units that were built with TWO rear axles. One is a type I and the other is a type III.

I think it remotely connects through Starline, which built the Suburban I posted, and also built the tandem axle mods.

Steve T., if you repost your question/comment in the "Slightly Off Topic" forum, I'll put up some tandem axle photos - Starline built a lot of them. But we'll keep this thread for the Carryalls/Suburbans/Travelalls.

Virginia Beach, VA

9970159845_1d03f0871d_b.jpg
[/url]
Ambulances prepare to transport patients on moving day at the General Hospital of Virginia Beach. by rylie_trenchard, on Flickr[/img]

Well, I've learned a bit today. I didn't know that Prestige built anything but Type IIs, Bill. Do you have any idea when Carl Becker shut Prestige down? I bought two old coach-types from them in '77.

I think they shut down in 1983 after the fiasco with the New York trucks. They had the contract for New York City and the city refused the first batch and went to Wheeled Coach. I think that ended Prestige.

The trucks weren't that bad. The boxes were good to work in, they just bought every 400 and 351 engined chassis they could get to make the demand.

I think they shut down in 1983 after the fiasco with the New York trucks. They had the contract for New York City and the city refused the first batch and went to Wheeled Coach. I think that ended Prestige.

The trucks weren't that bad. The boxes were good to work in, they just bought every 400 and 351 engined chassis they could get to make the demand.

The only Prestige ambulances I ever saw in service belonged to the State School in Lubbock. Both were Type II Chevies c.1981.

I was surprised to learn a while back that Carl Becker was also a partner in B&B Coach. Interesting!

These photos clearly show the difference between roof caps on the 1971-72 (54" headroom) and 1968-70 (52") models:

Wakefield, NE
1972 Sentinel

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays a true procar photographer from the swift completion of his rounds." Originally white, this girl was originally purchased by the Loran-Fawcett F.H., and then turned over to the fire department when they exited the ambulance business:

Neodesha, KS
1970 Sentinel

Attachments

• Wakefield.jpg
    Wakefield.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 913
  • Neodesha.jpg
    Neodesha.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:
Oakland, NE
1971 Pacer

This is one of a handful of Nationals in Nebraska that didn't have ditch lights or rear flashers:

Louisville, NE
1970 Pacer

Attachments

• Oakland.jpg
    Oakland.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 896
  • Louisville.jpg
    Louisville.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 905
I have no information other than this is a '49 model:

(from an eBay listing)

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,155
Lake Charles, LA

Anyone have pictures of the old Holsten's Red Flash"? It was a carryall as I recall from seeing it as a youth when we worked an air show at Chennault Field in Lake Charles, circa '77 or so.

Anyone have pictures of the old Holsten's Red Flash"? It was a carryall as I recall from seeing it as a youth when we worked an air show at Chennault Field in Lake Charles, circa '77 or so.

You're really bringing up some memories there, Terry. I bought Peggy's '66 C/B Olds Seville ambulance c.1975 from Summers, and it was one of her "Red Flash" ambulances. I would guess that the Suburban replaced the Olds. The last one of her ambulances I saw was an almost-turquoise colored '74 Chevrolet MAC Modulvan that was sitting on Summers' lot the last time I was there in 1986.

The Olds was solid red and was devoid of lights and siren when I got the car, but the Red Flash graphics with the lightening streaks were still there. There were also two brackets that appeared to have gone to a set of C/B's torpedo lights on both front fenders. Just the brackets....no lights. We managed to make a decent-looking ambulance out of it with triple beacons and a Q on the roof and set of small red grille lights. Despite its age and how badly it looked when we got, it ran well and it became famous locally. In the summer of '76 when Mother, Jugs & Speed came out, one of the movie theaters in Lubbock borrowed the car and parked it in front of the theater with posters advertising the movie. One nice perk of the whole deal was that all ambulance personnel regardless of service were allowed to see the movie for free as many times as they wished so long as they came to the movie in an ambulance and in uniform.

Last edited:
Thank you...

You're really bringing up some memories there, Terry. I bought Peggy's '66 C/B Olds Seville ambulance c.1975 from Summers, and it was one of her "Red Flash" ambulances. I would guess that the Suburban replaced the Olds. The last one of her ambulances I saw was an almost-turquoise colored '74 Chevrolet MAC Modulvan that was sitting on Summers' lot the last time I was there in 1986.

The Olds was solid red and was devoid of lights and siren when I got the car, but the Red Flash graphics with the lightening streaks were still there. There were also two brackets that appeared to have gone to a set of C/B's torpedo lights on both front fenders. Just the brackets....no lights. We managed to make a decent-looking ambulance out of it with triple beacons and a Q on the roof and set of small red grille lights. Despite its age and how badly it looked when we got, it ran well and it became famous locally. In the summer of '76 when Mother, Jugs & Speed came out, one of the movie theaters in Lubbock borrowed the car and parked it in front of the theater with posters advertising the movie. One nice perk of the whole deal was that all ambulance personnel regardless of service were allowed to see the movie for free as many times as they wished so long as they came to the movie in an ambulance and in uniform.

Great history. Never knew where it went, but we got a kick out that name way back when and always remembered it. Any pictures?

Great history. Never knew where it went, but we got a kick out that name way back when and always remembered it. Any pictures?

I had some pix of the car years ago, Tery, but they disappeared in 1989 when my '70 hightop Suburban ambulance was stolen. I had a big manilla envelope with all of my ambulance pictures dating back to 1969 in the glove compartment of that truck.

Nice Springfield Interne from Roanoke Life Saving & First Aid Crew, Roanoke, VA. Probably about a '66 or '67. I really like the Fireballs on the front fenders and rear roof.

This was posted on a Facebook group, not my photo.

Attachments

• 555631_557654084256284_1652679662_n.jpg
    555631_557654084256284_1652679662_n.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 688
Back