Rocky has a new coach?????

Thank you guys for the compliments!! I am glad that you guys like to see my builds that I have been doing. I know that its not stock, and a lot of you guys prefer that. I was a little nervous at first to show my build. But im having fun saving one of our pro cars for future generations to enjoy, And to have a car I will be able to drive all over our great country when im done with it. I will keep posting, if you guys don't mind seeing it.

58 project

Rocky, I have used a Milwaukee saw to cut some pretty thick metal, and never any other style like a wheel, or plasma, so what cutters did you use in what locations? Cutting into the frame must of been very time consuming. Please share the details.

Mike I have used most of all the cutting tools to do this frame mods, with the exception of the sawzall on this.

I have done a lot of the cuts using a electric grinder with the 4 1/2" cut off wheels on it. I have done something that is not safe is I have pulled off the guard so I can see where the blade is at. " I don't recommend doing that as it is not safe" I try to always where a face shield when I cut and make sure my face and neck is not in line with the blade as I cut in case if it blows apart. And just want to say I have had it happen, and it will happen very fast if you twist the blade or lean it. Always try to keep it straight and let it do the cutting don't force it.

I also use my plasma cutter to cut a lot of the steel, and use that to cut out my plates the I put in. After I cut out the plates I put on a abrasive flapper wheel to grind the plate edges smooth, and to finish off my welds.

At time I have also used my smaller wheel cut off wheel, also with the safety guard off of it also.

Here are a pic of some of the tools, and cut off wheels.

Attachments

• DSCN7094.jpg
    DSCN7094.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCN7095.jpg
    DSCN7095.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCN7099.jpg
    DSCN7099.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN7096.jpg
    DSCN7096.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN7097.jpg
    DSCN7097.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN7100.jpg
    DSCN7100.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 229
I did get the front cross member all cut down, so I was able to put my mock block back in place to figure out my motor mounts.

When I cut the original factory motor mounts off the frame I just boxed and plated the frame. I like the driver side, pass side needed to get widened out more for good mounting plates surface.

Here is what I did there to get it ready for the mounts.

Attachments

• DSCN7085.jpg
    DSCN7085.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN7086.jpg
    DSCN7086.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN7088.jpg
    DSCN7088.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN7107.jpg
    DSCN7107.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN7108.jpg
    DSCN7108.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN7109.jpg
    DSCN7109.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCN7083.jpg
    DSCN7083.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN7080.jpg
    DSCN7080.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 203
Making straight cuts.

I was quite amazed at how straight, long and wide your cuts were without going off course as seems to happen sometimes. Do you know anyone that has tried one of the 5" double cut saws? 5' counter rotating blades with carbide tips. I think they were originally developed for extraction by fire and rescue, cutting cars apart quickly.

I banged away on the 58 again some more this weekend. Had to refit the mock block, and install the radiator again, got the motor mount tabs cut and fit.

So happy to say I now can bolt a motor in it, But there are still some fitting issues I have to work out now on the power steering pump??

Attachments

• DSCN7111.jpg
    DSCN7111.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 227
  • DSCN7113.jpg
    DSCN7113.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN7114.jpg
    DSCN7114.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCN7115.jpg
    DSCN7115.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN7118.jpg
    DSCN7118.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 222
  • DSCN7119.jpg
    DSCN7119.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN7120.jpg
    DSCN7120.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 226
  • DSCN7121.jpg
    DSCN7121.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 219
The saddle plate looks nice and shinny, I have a question as to why you didn't transplant a newer one like maybe out of a Mustang II? I think you could of cut the two rails and have a whole new front end with more modern suspension, and room for all the steering pump etc.?
Looks like you will have room for another small motor in the front:D lots of room. I like watching this build, so keep up the good work.

The whole Mustang II would fit in the back of a '50's hearse !

I guess the best thing about a Mustang II is that they were of use to guys building other cars with their parts.

Darren

I agree they weren't designed for that kind of vehicle, but the whole 6500 pounds is not on the front it shares weight with the rear axle. I've seen people put big block blown motors on top of this front end and it seems to work.
I was looking under my 48 National, and finding some rust where they spliced the car and sectioned it. It is very crude and elementary, and looks like something you would do for a demo derby car.
I'm sure the way he is doing it will work, and its probably better than the original design.

The saddle plate looks nice and shinny, I have a question as to why you didn't transplant a newer one like maybe out of a Mustang II? I think you could of cut the two rails and have a whole new front end with more modern suspension, and room for all the steering pump etc.?
Looks like you will have room for another small motor in the front:D lots of room. I like watching this build, so keep up the good work.

Herb, That is the problem is the mustang II clips are way to light duty for that big of a car. They will make clips for them under 50's cad's but those cars are really too big and heavy for them.

And I have already changed the front end to disc brakes, and this car is a 25,000 mile car so the control arms are clean ect. The other funny part is measuring the overall size ect. I did not think that I would of had to cut and modify that much to get it in there right. But oh well, I do find it kind of fun to figure out these problems and work through them.

It has been a lot of work but im really happy with how its all going. And as always it has been a learning curve.

One of the things im looking into is if I can bolt up a later power steering box to that frame. I have heard other guys on cars taking later model boxes and doing that. If any one has changed one to something newer I would love to hear what you used?

One of the things im looking into is if I can bolt up a later power steering box to that frame. I have heard other guys on cars taking later model boxes and doing that. If any one has changed one to something newer I would love to hear what you used?

605 for a monte carlo is real close if my memory is correct. 69-72

Back