Real Life Ambulance Scene Pictures

I would agree with you about the Oldsmobiles, Steve. A friend in Odessa has a '70 C/B Olds ex-Air Force amblance, at it's a hightop. I've seen a number of lowtop Pontiacs that the Air Force used, but not in the Oldsmobiles.

But let me correct myself here. I couldn't see the Olds shown above when I first logged on last time. That one definitely is a lowtop. But I agree....most unusual.

Memphis Fire Dept. '70 Superior Cadillac. Took this shot in 1974 while returning from the C/B plant in Blytheville, AR to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Attachments

• Memphis FD001.jpg
    Memphis FD001.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 1,073
Memphis Fire Dept. '70 Superior Cadillac. Took this shot in 1974 while returning from the C/B plant in Blytheville, AR to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Did you pick up a new ambulance when you were there? In 1974 Ruidoso, NM bought a new '74 C/B high top Olds.....strangely enough from Gordon K. Allen, the Superior dealer and not Summers, who dealt in C/B here in Texas. They traded in their old ambulance, a '67 Chevy wagon, which I was able to scoop up easily, and used as second-out ambulance for a good long while. And as most of you know, I bought Steve Loftin's '74 Olds in 2002, which now resides in MI.

Did you pick up a new ambulance when you were there? In 1974 Ruidoso, NM bought a new '74 C/B high top Olds.....strangely enough from Gordon K. Allen, the Superior dealer and not Summers, who dealt in C/B here in Texas. They traded in their old ambulance, a '67 Chevy wagon, which I was able to scoop up easily, and used as second-out ambulance for a good long while. And as most of you know, I bought Steve Loftin's '74 Olds in 2002, which now resides in MI.

Skip, the new ambulance was a '74 Dodge Medicruiser. A former high school class mate of mine had recently bought an ambulance service that both Kerry and I had worked for. I had already moved on to a much larger 5-car service a year or so earlier. Kerry bailed out when this guy bought the smaller service. The new owner ordered the Medicruiser, and even though he was a competitor of the service I worked for, I paid my own airfare and took some vacation time solely for the opportunity to visit the C/B plant and take as many pictures as I could. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the plant and got his new toy, he nixed the plant tour and sat in the parking lot blasting his horn at me while I ran around shooting as many cars as I could in the compound in 15 minutes or less. He also drove the whole 1200 miles home, since he didn't want anyone else behind the wheel of his baby.

Irony = Firestone Building During Firestorm

Evening view of crowd gathered outside Firestone Building in Kansas City Mo, medical personnel with stretcher, and firefighters on roof of building; located on the northeast corner of Linwood and Troost.

Posted with permission of Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri

getimage.exe

A little off topic because its not a actually a professional car per say but I thought it was neat enough to post and it is after all related to the medical care as this is a rail car ambulance.

Interior view of medical railroad car with medical equipment and unidentified uniformed male employees

Posted with permission of Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri

getimage.exe

Skip, the new ambulance was a '74 Dodge Medicruiser. A former high school class mate of mine had recently bought an ambulance service that both Kerry and I had worked for. I had already moved on to a much larger 5-car service a year or so earlier. Kerry bailed out when this guy bought the smaller service. The new owner ordered the Medicruiser, and even though he was a competitor of the service I worked for, I paid my own airfare and took some vacation time solely for the opportunity to visit the C/B plant and take as many pictures as I could. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the plant and got his new toy, he nixed the plant tour and sat in the parking lot blasting his horn at me while I ran around shooting as many cars as I could in the compound in 15 minutes or less. He also drove the whole 1200 miles home, since he didn't want anyone else behind the wheel of his baby.

I would've loved that MediCruiser myself, Terry. The small town of Brownfield, TX, just southwest of Lubbock bought a new one in 1974. Along with the tunnel lights and beacon it had a Q flanked by twin CP100 speakers over the cab, and it had a G.E. Powercall that would wake the night! I lived in an apartment complex right on the road from Brownfield, and when they would clear some of the intersections using both the Q and Powercall at the same time.......ouch!

I spotted a '73 MediCruiser a few years ago over in Odessa. It had been an in-plant ambulance for some oil co. over near Pecos. The unusual thing was that it had all amber lights on it....no red. But it had twin CP25 speakers powered by a Federal Director. It was sale, but the guy wanted waaay too much at the time.

AAA Ambulance San Jose .

AAA and Federal were both owned by Ray Bell of San Francisco. AAA was contracted by the County of Santa Clara to Zone 14, which included Cupertino (Now the home of Apple Computer), and unincorporated Monte Vista. AAA ambulances were painted orange (see attached photos), while Federal units were painted a deep red.

There was also a Bay Cities Ambulance which operated in a few cities of the east side of the San Francisco bay.

Where have all these beautiful rigs gone ? I remember the two tone green '66 MM Paramount Bay Area Ambulance Service had in Pacifica for a couple of years and you could hear that PA 15 siren scream from a couple miles away !

Bay Cities Ambulance Service ran out of Alameda and was owned by Allied Ambulance Service in Oakland that eventually got absorbed into AMR . The East Bay in Alameda County had several ambulance services besides Bay Cities-Allied including Acme-Western , Valley , Fremont ( later Regional Medical Systems ) , and Intensive Care .

Unit G 6 circa 1935

Okay, this gorgeous '35-'36 Auburn based ambulance is simply stunning. (Grill badge reads 852, which would have been '36. Not to say that it isn't a rebadged '35 851.) Would Crown have been coach builder?

Note (B&M?) siren tucked behind bumper.

00065893.jpg

Under magnification, license plate appears CA 1935. After subsequently searching online it looks to have served Hollywood Receiving Hospital and was designated G-6.

Okay Attila , Do you know that a later unit G 6 , based out of the LAPDs Hollywood Division police station for Central Receiving Hospital played a role on one of the saddest days in our country's history ? On the night June 5 , 1968 it's attendant crew took a critically wounded Robert F. Kennedy from the Ambassador Hotel where he was assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan to Central Receiving Hospital . He was hours later after surgery transferred by Goodhew Ambulance to Good Samaritan Hospital where he died .

JFK Ambulance

Wait a second, what about all that documentation from both GM and Superior coach that Barrett showed regarding that Pontiac ambulance? NOWHERE did it say that it was anything but a Superior, that I recall anyway...

Entire magazine articles have been written about those supposed "JFK Ambulance(s)", and it seems like everything talked about those cars being Superiors and even claimed they had paperwork and documentation from Superior coach proving it, or am I remembering everything wrong?

Abe

There's too many people running around claiming that every '63 Pontiac ambulance owned by the Navy is the one that took JFK's body along with a few copy cats . Whoever claims to have the actual ambulance should provide real proof of documentation and let it go to it's place in the national museum .

Parkland Hospital

Has this been posted before? I hadn't noticed it if so.

Parkland Hospital in Dallas, November 24, 1963 - where President John F. Kennedy was rushed.

8029647100_71498e8ab7_z.jpg

Love that sign. Something else to fake. ;)

That's the hearse that took my favorite President to the airport in Dallas . It's double duty . Oswald did not act alone .

Real Life Ambulance Scene Photos

QUOTE=John Royark JR;93753]I was thinking someone swerved to miss the dog and made a bigger mess.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking that we who serve or have served in EMS should have a thread section to swap war stories .

Buddy Holly Plane Crash

The car on the left appears to be a Meteor, while the other is a Superior:

(internet photos)
And for the three men I admire most .

The Father , Son and the Holy Ghost .

They caught the last plane for the coast .

The day the music died .

Don Mc Clain " Americn Pie " 1971

Standing on a frozen highway with the wind freezing your face and the snow and ice pelting you, those are Golden memories,as I sit by my window warm and toasty and hear sirens heading out there for another big accident,glad to say "oh yea been there done that " old school you bet your biffy it was.

Back