Real Life Ambulance Scene Pictures

There's too many people running around claiming that every '63 Pontiac ambulance owned by the Navy is the one that took JFK's body along with a few copy cats . Whoever claims to have the actual ambulance should provide real proof of documentation and let it go to it's place in the national museum .
Derrick, the REAL ambulance that transported JFK was scrapped long ago. The well-known fake one has been discounted on several occasions. Do a search for "Kennedy Ambulance" on this site and you will see a thread with the entire discussion and documentation of this. The real one is gone, the fake is now well-known to be a fake (even the current owner agrees), and we can all rest.

For that matter, I wish there was a national museum for EMS. We're trying.

Steve ,clicked on to the were trying line and got a web page for making origami and gutter cleaning.but yes a national EMS museum would be great,in Ontario we have Len's in Chatham,and as all know its full,so whoever starts one make lots of room.

ems museum

Derrick, the REAL ambulance that transported JFK was scrapped long ago. The well-known fake one has been discounted on several occasions. Do a search for "Kennedy Ambulance" on this site and you will see a thread with the entire discussion and documentation of this. The real one is gone, the fake is now well-known to be a fake (even the current owner agrees), and we can all rest.

For that matter, I wish there was a national museum for EMS. We're trying.

I wish there was a museum also. should be in Baltimore also as modern ems evolved from there. I still have my patch from emt school in Baltimore from 1974. American academy of orthopedic surgeons. white patch with blue and red writing. ahh, the good ol days....

add any thing to the back of the rig you want it's still ABC. with the best tool you can't buy being between your ears. the best medicine, a warm touch and a little compassion from a man that appears to be calm with everything under control as as the bridge collapses from under you.

once you have that kind of service then you can add the rest. if you don't have it you don't have a service.:thumbsup:

Yes...and that's the "real" O'Neal ambulance that transported Oswald, not the fake that went for mega-bucks at Auburn. Almost missed that nice lowband antenna on the Chevy wagon ambulance in the corner of the photo.

FYI - No, it's not; that's unit 606 in the photo. 605 (a twin to 606) was the one that transported Oswald.

Feel free to correct me but I believe 606 is the unit that transported Officer J.D. Tippit to Parkland and Steve is correct, I believe, in saying 605 took Oswald later.

I don't know if an O'Neal unit transported Tippit or not, but it wasn't in 606. The 606 crew stayed at the hospital, assisted the hospital staff as they could, and then helped casket Kennedy after Vernon O'Neal brought it in the '64 M-M.

Thanks, Steve. Didn't realize that there were other units at the ER at the same time. Are the unit number visible? Do you know who the Chevy wagon in the bottom rt. corner of the photo belonged to?

If I remember correctly, the unit numbers were on the tailgates. I don't know whose '62 Chevy wagon that is, but always wondered what firm the '60 Pontiac (seen in several of the ER driveway photos; I think it's a C/B) belonged to:

(Internet photos)

Attachments

• JFK21_27403099.jpg
    JFK21_27403099.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 638
  • photo_jfkl-01_0022-st-527-3-631.jpg
    photo_jfkl-01_0022-st-527-3-631.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 614
'63 Olds Ambulance

This is a C/B Seville, likely a combination car.

It was . The owner of Magic Valley Ambulance service at the time who was also the Twin Falls County Coroner for many years , bought this unit from the former Twin Falls Chapel Funeral Home . He also owned during that time two '62 Pontiac Bonneville combination units bought over from White Mortuary when he started the ambulance service in 1968 . I got my start in EMS with this company as a 17 year old kid in 1979 but was not EMT certified until 1981 when our state's rules changed .

Driving the '64 M&M

If my past information is correct, I believe it was a man named Aubrey Rike who actually drove the casket and '64 M&M to Parkland that day.

If I remember correctly, the unit numbers were on the tailgates. I don't know whose '62 Chevy wagon that is, but always wondered what firm the '60 Pontiac (seen in several of the ER driveway photos; I think it's a C/B) belonged to:

(Internet photos)

Thanks for that, Steve. What is the source of the Parkland ER photos? As a kid my mom, grandmother and I would spend a week or so in Dallas, staying at the Marriot on Stemmons Fwy when Mother got her vacation. I used to see a lot of ambulances flying down the fwy enroute to Parkland back then. But the ones I really remember were the Dudley Hughes, O'Neal and Sparkman-Hillcrest ambulances, along with Black and Clark's panel trucks that they ran at the time. It was B&C's 1971 lowtop GKA Chevy Suburban that I bought in 1981. They bought the truck new and ran it only a year when Sparkman-Hillcrest won the Dallas Co. ambulance contract away from Hughes. B&C had always subcontracted with Hughes over the years, but was not included when Sparkman's got the contract. That effectively put Black and Clark out of the ambulance business, leaving them to use the Suburban as a first-call vehicle until the time I bought it. But I'm glad I did because it turned out to be the best work horse we ever had. It was retired in 1989, only after everything that could go wrong with it, did!

As to the Olds, I don't recall ever having seen that one. Interesting: that appears to be a CAM siren on the right fender. Since almost all of the Dallas funeral homes were still running ambulances at the time, it could've been anyone, or could've been from one of the surrounding communities in on an emergency transfer.

Thanks again for the neat information. This is a part of the Kennedy assassination I've only learned through this board.

Back