Shiny Dash/Upholstery

The dash and upholstery in my Criterion are in pretty good shape, all things considered, and have cleaned up quite well, but I'd like to give them a bit of a shine.

Back in my muscle-car days (a.k.a. the "Stone Ages"), the product of choice was Armor-All, but I have heard people say that it can dry out and damage dashboards and upholstery. Any truth to that? If so, can anyone recommend a better product? What do you folks use in your cars?

Thanks!

I have not heard anything good about Armor-All in recent times. I use a Turtle Wax Ice interior product. You need to be careful when you use it on the seats. Nothing like going around a corner and sliding across the seat to the passenger's side!

I use Meguiar's Dash & Trim foam. Works very well and seem to leave just the right amount of shine. From what I have read, proper interior detailing consists of a limited amount of "gloss and shine." This gives the car a "clean, fresh" appearance, closer to that when new, rather a "glazed, made-up" look.

What ever you do, do not put anything on the steering wheel! :eek: I know of a case were someone did to get an in service ambulance ready for a parade, by the way it wasn’t me. I tell you the driver that had to take that ambulance on its next call was one surprised, and very unhappy person. Good thing he used his seat belt, as the seat was also done.:eek: It was the talk of the squad for months.:D

What ever you do, do not put anything on the steering wheel! :eek: I know of a case were someone did to get an in service ambulance ready for a parade, by the way it wasn’t me. I tell you the driver that had to take that ambulance on its next call was one surprised, and very unhappy person. Good thing he used his seat belt, as the seat was also done.:eek: It was the talk of the squad for months.:D
My partner at a private ambulance service I used to work at used to Armor-All the dash, the seats, the steering wheel, and even the gas & brake pedals. Makes the truck very hard to drive in DC traffic..... I was not pleased. :thumbsdown:

Am I correct in assuming, Steve, that after the first time you landed on your butt after a sharp corner or had your foot fly off the brake, you and your partner had a little "chit-chat" behind the station??? :D

Am I correct in assuming, Steve, that after the first time you landed on your butt after a sharp corner or had your foot fly off the brake, you and your partner had a little "chit-chat" behind the station??? :D
Uh, yes, that would be correct. I told him if he ever did that again, well, I just told him where he would find his bottle of Armor-All.... And I had him clean the pedals, seats, and steering wheel as well. He was sliding around on the bench seat in the back as well, which was actually funny to watch in the mirror, so I think he understood a bit where I was coming from. It was "his" rig (this was back in the days of painting the name on the door), but he didn't drive, I did, so it was a "learning experience."

The dash and upholstery in my Criterion are in pretty good shape, all things considered, and have cleaned up quite well, but I'd like to give them a bit of a shine.

Back in my muscle-car days (a.k.a. the "Stone Ages"), the product of choice was Armor-All, but I have heard people say that it can dry out and damage dashboards and upholstery. Any truth to that? If so, can anyone recommend a better product? What do you folks use in your cars?

Thanks!

Where are the pcitures?:thumbsdown:

I posted some interior pics the other day, Richard. I'll try and get some exterior shots today, but we're heading for New Brunswick tonight to spend Christmas with my wife's family and are in a bit of a time crunch.

Just a little heads-up: Don't expect her to be pretty. She sat outside for 14 years and needs a big heaping dose of T.L.C. But I'm pleased to have a chance to save her.

Just a little heads-up: Don't expect her to be pretty. She sat outside for 14 years and needs a big heaping dose of T.L.C. But I'm pleased to have a chance to save her.

We are all glad you have invested in a rare Criterion and breathing new life into her. :thumbsup:

On my dash, tires, door panels and top I use mink oil. Then about once a month I use a toothbrush to get in the vents and crevices, then just buff it with an all cotton diaper.

Back in my younger days in early 80's seems like everyone I knew would take vasoline and apply to dash with small paint brush. This may have worked well for preserving the dash but in summer when it was hot the stuff would thin down and drip off the dash. I don't think I would recommend this process, especially for Richard Vyse. Maybe Paul could use this being not as hot in north east.:eek:

Back in my younger days in early 80's seems like everyone I knew would take vasoline and apply to dash with small paint brush. This may have worked well for preserving the dash but in summer when it was hot the stuff would thin down and drip off the dash. I don't think I would recommend this process, especially for Richard Vyse. Maybe Paul could use this being not as hot in north east.:eek:

I don't even want to dignify this post with any comment for fear that anything that I might say would not be politically correct. I think it best to leave the Vaseline in the jar... :D
Tech Tip:
If you must use Vaseline on your car, then smear some over the terminal end of the light bulbs before installing them into the sockets. This will prevent moisture from causing corrosion and will aid in the removal of the bulb when it burns out. :thumbsup:

I have had good luck with the tire spray. I like the turtle wax one better then the armor all one. use a 1 to 1 1/4 paint brush cut the bristles to about 1/2 there length and spray on the tire spray. work the cracks and crevices with the paint brush then mop up the dirt and excess liquid with a terry cloth or micro fiber cloth. it lifts all the dirt out of the groves and leaves the new vinyl look instead of covering over the dirt with a shine. remember you can clean off any of the armor all products with any ammonia base glass cleaner.

The only thing that gets armor all or sprayed with shiny stuff is the tires! Evetrything else just gets a wipe down with a damp cloth and vaccumed out.

I don't use Armour-All anymore. I like Son of a Gun in liguid spray or a spray foam and don't even wipe the tires anymore. I did however, had to use a ton of Son of a Gun spray on the dash of the Lifeliner to get it to clean up and soften up too. Now it is plyable and clean with no cracks.:applause:

Now something I do used on the phenolic (aka Formaica, actually Wilsonart) casket floor in the 77 M-M is a funiture polish called Liquid Gold. Its about $5 or $6 a can but this will make a wood grain casket floor in the back of a hearse look like a million $! It will give the floor a light sheen and will hide any scratches that are in the floor covering as well.

Now something I do used on the phenolic (aka Formaica, actually Wilsonart) casket floor in the 77 M-M is a funiture polish called Liquid Gold. Its about $5 or $6 a can but this will make a wood grain casket floor in the back of a hearse look like a million $! It will give the floor a light sheen and will hide any scratches that are in the floor covering as well.

This also a trick I use!! Learned it from my girlfriends uncle, who works at a coach dealer:D

Back