New owner!!

Good afternoon fellow PCS fans.

I would like to introduce myself. I have been a huge fan of classic autos. I have always wanted one to restore and to have one to enjoy. It has been a 12 year search to find something in my price range and something I could get my hands on. I found what seems to be a rare conversion. I was told by a someone over at Superior Coach company that they produced only a 120 for the year. The current location of the car is in the high plains of Texas. It is sitting in my drive way (the wife is soooo happy about that..not really)

May I present to a 1968 Pontiac Superior Ambulance. What you see is what you get. I am in need of wiring help and possible guidance on how to fix everything. The over all "bones" are great but the flesh needs help. Our plan is to fix it up right and possibly convert it to a show piece and use it for unique rides around town.
frontend .jpghatch.jpgside.jpg
The good:
Not too much rust
No locked wheels
Starter engages
Transmission is not bound
All doors open/close with minimal effort

The Bad:
Wiring is shot
Motor is locked
Rat turds everywhere
Floors are gone( but can be fixed)

Congratulations and welcome to the world of professional cars. I owned a 1968 Superior Pontiac ambulance too and we loved that car. Best of luck in your parts search and restoration.

Good afternoon fellow PCS fans.

I would like to introduce myself. I have been a huge fan of classic autos. I have always wanted one to restore and to have one to enjoy. It has been a 12 year search to find something in my price range and something I could get my hands on. I found what seems to be a rare conversion. I was told by a someone over at Superior Coach company that they produced only a 120 for the year. The current location of the car is in the high plains of Texas. It is sitting in my drive way (the wife is soooo happy about that..not really)

May I present to a 1968 Pontiac Superior Ambulance. What you see is what you get. I am in need of wiring help and possible guidance on how to fix everything. The over all "bones" are great but the flesh needs help. Our plan is to fix it up right and possibly convert it to a show piece and use it for unique rides around town.

The good:
Not too much rust
No locked wheels
Starter engages
Transmission is not bound
All doors open/close with minimal effort

The Bad:
Wiring is shot
Motor is locked
Rat turds everywhere
Floors are gone( but can be fixed)
Congratulations!

You have any insight as what to do?
It does have rear AC and not much else
Is it a combo. Hearse/ambulance Or stright hearse? First thing is to go to e-bay buy you a factory service manual for that year. This will give you the factory wiring . Then with the superior it is pretty much one wire at a time with a 12 volt power source. The cares were built as a custom order vary few dealer stock. So each has things the customer wanted or did not. Ambulances and combos normally have a master panel accessed by the driver and at the attendant seat. Most hearses only have the dome lights wired like normal cars. It a matter of playing and guess work.

Is it a combo. Hearse/ambulance Or stright hearse? First thing is to go to e-bay buy you a factory service manual for that year. This will give you the factory wiring . Then with the superior it is pretty much one wire at a time with a 12 volt power source. The cares were built as a custom order vary few dealer stock. So each has things the customer wanted or did not. Ambulances and combos normally have a master panel accessed by the driver and at the attendant seat. Most hearses only have the dome lights wired like normal cars. It a matter of playing and guess work.
It was a basic ambulance owned by the AirForce. The only thing special that it has is the AC and a siren button on the floor. The only fuse panel that I have found is right under the dash and a relay type on the firewall.

It is a Consort "standard wheelbase" car, from what I can see. It looks like a straight military ambulance, to me. As I said, I owned a 68 hightop Superior Pontiac and I also owned a 1970 Superior Pontiac Consort ambulance, they were both excellent running cars that drove very well. Those 400 cubic inch Pontiac motors are very strong, so perhaps you can get your engine freed up and make it run again. Do yourself a favor, clean out those rat turds, before you start working on it. BTW, you will most likely find rodents in the headliner and other places, my advice, get rid of them.

It is a Consort "standard wheelbase" car, from what I can see. It looks like a straight military ambulance, to me. As I said, I owned a 68 hightop Superior Pontiac and I also owned a 1970 Superior Pontiac Consort ambulance, they were both excellent running cars that drove very well. Those 400 cubic inch Pontiac motors are very strong, so perhaps you can get your engine freed up and make it run again. Do yourself a favor, clean out those rat turds, before you start working on it. BTW, you will most likely find rodents in the headliner and other places, my advice, get rid of them.
This is a long-wheelbase car. To my knowledge the US (and Canadian) military never bought a short Superior.

Looks to me like a ambulance. To my knowledge the military never had a Hearse.. The pictures you have posted show cott mounts on both sides. Roof vent ac in rear No rollers. With the divider gone it hard to tell. Has some one replaced the floor or just striped it. But i would say ambulance. Long wheel base My 72 cb was set up for two cotts also. it still had all the DOD tages in it.

Looks to me like a ambulance. To my knowledge the military never had a Hearse.. The pictures you have posted show cott mounts on both sides. Roof vent ac in rear No rollers. With the divider gone it hard to tell. Has some one replaced the floor or just striped it. But i would say ambulance. Long wheel base My 72 cb was set up for two cotts also. it still had all the DOD tages in it.
yes the divider is gone.. it was bought from the AF and driven by a school district for years. The floor has some 1980s vinyl flooring and its terrible. We probably will put down a piece of metal over the the plywood floor.

Back