Merry Oldsmobiles

This '75 C/B Cotington 54 was purchased new by the Winkler, Manitoba Fire Dept. Sometime after I moved south in late '89, it was sold to Winnipeg collector, Brian Schuff. From what I have been told, he later resold it to an overseas collector.

Attachments

• Winkler Olds 001.jpg
    Winkler Olds 001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,049
  • Winkler Olds 002.jpg
    Winkler Olds 002.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 931
the nice part of the 74-75 was you could make a new rear bumper out a a standard one as long as the C/B center was good.

This '75 C/B Cotington 54 was purchased new by the Winkler, Manitoba Fire Dept. Sometime after I moved south in late '89, it was sold to Winnipeg collector, Brian Schuff. From what I have been told, he later resold it to an overseas collector.

Love that car (minus truck mirrors, of course) - sure makes me miss my '74!

Oak Forest F.D.
Oak Forest, IL
1966 Seville

Meda-Care A.S.
Milwaukee, WI
1974 Cotington 48

Community Amb. Ass'n.
Steelton, PA
1969 Cotington 48
1974 Cotington 54

(from my collection)

Steve: Are you familiar with the history of the Oak Forest car? In 1975 I bought a red '66 Seville just like this one from Summers, but it had come from Holston Ambulance Service from Lake Charles, LA. I don't think that Peggy Holston bought very many new cars, so this could be the one. When I got the car the roof was bare, so it would be hard to tell for sure.

Most of us are familiar with the twin '72 Cotington 48s owned by David Stalhut and Larri Dirks. There were several of these cars built with Federal #15A Junior beacons on the corners instead of the usual tunnel lights. Here are a few more:

1971 - District Heights, MD
1972 - Powhatan Beach, MD
1971 - Metro A.S. (Hellertown, PA)
1972 - Lower Milford Twp., PA (later sold to Reinsel F.H. in Sharon, PA)

(SL collection)

In 1977 I had the chance to buy the Metro Ambulance car from Metro's owner, Butch Brown. I got acquainted with Butch when I saw a picture of another car of his in one of the EMS magazines classifieds. At that time my service was called Metro-Alert Ambulance....hence the similarity. From then until the mid-80s I talked to Butch quite often. I could've gotten the Olds worth the money, but trying to get it from PA to TX was the problem.

1967 Olds hightop from Lyons, Ill.

Just curious to know if anyone has pictures of the 1967 C/B hightop Oldsmobile that was operated by Lyons, Ill. for a number of years. I bought the car in 1977 for a whopping $400 from the former Prestige Ambulance builders in Arlington, TX. Lyons had traded the Olds in on a new Prestige Type II unit. I've heard over the years that Lyons exclusviely ran Olds ambulances for many years, with this being the one departure. The few pictures I had of this car were lost when that car was stolen in 1979.

Is the 57 Comet still sitting down there......someone really needs to make a play for this car....if it is still sitting languishing. Gonna be a shame to see this one magically appear overseas one day.

Attachments

• 2dr840k.jpg
    2dr840k.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 158
Just curious to know if anyone has pictures of the 1967 C/B hightop Oldsmobile that was operated by Lyons, Ill. for a number of years. I bought the car in 1977 for a whopping $400 from the former Prestige Ambulance builders in Arlington, TX. Lyons had traded the Olds in on a new Prestige Type II unit. I've heard over the years that Lyons exclusviely ran Olds ambulances for many years, with this being the one departure. The few pictures I had of this car were lost when that car was stolen in 1979.

This is EXACTLY the Ambulance I am looking for to "replicate" one Our Fire Department had brand new and lost track of after trading it early (only a year old or so because of chronic rear axle problems) on a "1-Ton Box Car" if anyone runs across one? THX-MM

This is EXACTLY the Ambulance I am looking for to "replicate" one Our Fire Department had brand new and lost track of after trading it early (only a year old or so because of chronic rear axle problems) on a "1-Ton Box Car" if anyone runs across one? THX-MM

Our '67 was almost a beige with orange color, Mike, and had a Super Chief over the cab. It had two big tunnel lights over the cab and the smaller ones built into the front of the hightop, and it had a red 175 up on the hightop. The big tunnel light on the driver's side was originally green, and we replaced it with a red sealed-beam.

Skip: Unfortunately, I don't have an actual picture to show you... but as I recall it was all red, black wall tires, a center-porch mounted Q with tunnel lights and a single CJ-184 on the roof. They only had it in service about a year with chronic rear axle problems that took out the fender skirts and caused body damage each time. The Ambulance line of succession there was our 1954 Henney-Packard was replaced by a 1959 M-M (High Top) Cadillac that was replaced by this New 1967 C-B (High Top) Olds. After the Olds they went to 1-Ton Modular Boxes that they still use today. MM

1969 Cotington combination, Part 1

I saw this car in Pampa, TX in May of 2012. When I passed through a few weeks later, it was gone. The owner of the property thought it went "somewhere in Arkansas."

I hope it's in the hands of someone that will restore and care for it:

Attachments

• 1969 Olds A left front.jpg
    1969 Olds A left front.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 931
  • 1969 Olds B driver door open.jpg
    1969 Olds B driver door open.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 931
  • 1969 Olds J rear AC.jpg
    1969 Olds J rear AC.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 940
  • 1969 Olds C left center door open.jpg
    1969 Olds C left center door open.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 949
  • 1969 Olds D rear door open.jpg
    1969 Olds D rear door open.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 937
  • 1969 Olds E right rear.jpg
    1969 Olds E right rear.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 943
1969 Cotington combination, Part 2

Truly, great cars are still out there and waiting to be discovered!

I didn't put this in the Sad Pro-Cars thread because it was 99.5% complete and restorable when I photographed it. The only thing that wasn't on (or somewhere in) it was the cot hook, which would be easy to replace. Although dirty, the interior was in GREAT shape:

Attachments

• 1969 Olds F front attendant seat.jpg
    1969 Olds F front attendant seat.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 944
  • 1969 Olds G passenger door open.jpg
    1969 Olds G passenger door open.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 922
  • 1969 Olds H IV hook.jpg
    1969 Olds H IV hook.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 920
  • 1969 Olds I rear attendant seat.jpg
    1969 Olds I rear attendant seat.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 939
  • 1969 Olds L right rear curtains.jpg
    1969 Olds L right rear curtains.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 927
  • 1969 Olds K engine left.jpg
    1969 Olds K engine left.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 927
Dixie/Oldsmobile in Independence, KY

Too bad this internet photo (from 1962) wasn't a little bigger:

Attachments

• 25_anniv.jpg
    25_anniv.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 830
This is a 1975 Oldsmobile hearse by Cotner Bevington. I was all set to buy it from a really nice seller for what seemed like a great price... when we decided to take it on the freeway for a test drive. Suddenly the transmission had a total failure. I decided to keep my money, but felt bad enough that I paid for the tow. It just happened that we broke down right in front of my father's place of work. When I had my first hearse, he was always giving me a hard time every time that one broke down. I could just see him walking by and seeing me waiting for a tow in this one!:rolleyes:

Maybe I should have still bought it! My friend later saw it with this for sale sign from another seller. $7500 was a few thousand more than what I was going to pay for it!

Attachments

• 1975Olds_zps41c05459.jpg
    1975Olds_zps41c05459.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 1975Olds2_zps423ac470.jpg
    1975Olds2_zps423ac470.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 142
this is the best we could do with it stand back about 5 ft and it not to bad?

Attachments

• 1955 dixie.jpg
    1955 dixie.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 784
Back