Merry Oldsmobiles

Very interesting! I know there was a previous thread where we discussed the different lens colors for Ful-Vus too, and I believe it was Atti who posted screen shots of a movie where a M-M hightop was driven off a cliff fully lit, with a red beacon ray in the center, flanked by 4 corner Ful-Vus all with amber lenses.

I learn something new here every day! :applause:

Damage from a 1955 Santa Fe Train wreck that occurred in View, Texas near the train depot - featuring a new '55 Olds.

high_res

Without seeing the entire car, my guess is National on the combination.

I'd say the vehicle involved was a 1948-53 Dodge truck.

Love the CBs

These are some extraordinary cars! I worked out of two when I worked for Salata in Gurnee,IL. The one was, I think, a 1968' red and white high top that originally came from Deerfield Bannockburn, IL. Fire. The other was newer by several years, white over solid Omaha orange with huge blue stars of life on the rear passenger doors. Never knew where that came from, but I'm sure John got it through Bob Hedges. Wish I had taken pictures back then. Steve, ever see the Deerfield one?

These are some extraordinary cars! I worked out of two when I worked for Salata in Gurnee,IL. The one was, I think, a 1968' red and white high top that originally came from Deerfield Bannockburn, IL. Fire. The other was newer by several years, white over solid Omaha orange with huge blue stars of life on the rear passenger doors. Never knew where that came from, but I'm sure John got it through Bob Hedges. Wish I had taken pictures back then. Steve, ever see the Deerfield one?

I never saw the D-BFPD car, a '67 that was sold to Salata's in 1974. I actually drove the newer one you mentioned after it was traded in from Salata. It was a 1972 Cotington 48 with a Dietz beacon. I took this picture just before it was shipped to Capitol. Here is her lineage; I don't know where she went after Capitol:

1. Pleasantville F.D., NJ
2. Claymont F.D., DE
3. Salata F.H. (Gurnee, IL)
4. Capitol A.S. (Cleveland, OH)

(SL photo; April, 1978)

Attachments

• Salata.jpg
    Salata.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
I worked out of two when I worked for Salata in Gurnee,IL. The one was, I think, a 1968' red and white high top that originally came from Deerfield Bannockburn, IL. Fire. --- Steve, ever see the Deerfield one?

Maybe, now that I think about it - did it (the D-BFPD '67) have a Super Chief whistle?

No, no Super Chief

No Steve, it just had a Federal Director with a single common chrome speaker on the lower roof section.

Thanks for the answer! I and my friend Ray worked out of the 1972 at a motorcylce race stand by in 1977 at the Walworth County Fairgrounds in Elkhorn,WI. We transported a near fatal event, BLS, and couldn't contact Lakeland Hospital because we did not have the correct selectable Wisconsin PL on 155.340. That rig rode and ran beautifully, but I think John disliked it because of the color and the Star of Life. He was death on stuff that even hinted at federal mandates or guidelines.

Fyi

The very first Olds on the list was restored by Tom Hutton and sold to Tim Fantin. That was ages ago. Tom bought it by submitting a bid at my prodding. I'm not sure where it is now.

I ran out of two C-B Olds 48" units in the 70s. One was a 1969 and the other a 1970. The 69 was a cherry of a unit and was equipped with a Fed 184 beacon, with the 4 front and two rear tunnel lights and A Federal Director with two Federal Grille Speakers. The 70 was a piece of crap and went thru two engines in a short time and was permanently put out of its misery. It came with a Dietz 4 bulb beacon that had a short and went out after each rotation, but would come back on as it rotated past the short. It had a Cobra style roof speaker and a Heathkit electronic siren that also left a lot to be desired. It had two Mars 888 lights built into the front tunnels that did not move but was very bright when on as we were able to aim them down the road.

Used car lot (Moline, IL)
1964 Seville ambulance

I have no idea if this was a combination or an ambulance. It was probably originally owned by the local funeral home:

Maple Park & Countryside F.P.D. (Maple Park, IL)
1964 ?/Oldsmobile - Weller, perhaps?

http://www.mapleparkfpd.org/index.html

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Moline.jpg
    Moline.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 767
  • Maple.jpg
    Maple.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 757
The very first Olds on the list was restored by Tom Hutton and sold to Tim Fantin. That was ages ago. Tom bought it by submitting a bid at my prodding. I'm not sure where it is now.

I traded the 70 Olds off to Noel Schiff of Chicago for my 97 Lincoln McClain flower car in 2006. Noel sold it to Bob Smith of Ohio shortly before he died.

Nice 3/4 shot of a known '58 Comet Olds combination via Flickr. Posted by Brain Toad taken in Petaluma, CA on 5/16/09. Note infrequently seen purple dome.

Attachments

• olds4.jpg
    olds4.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 138
  • olds5.jpg
    olds5.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 137
Back