How many Criterion's are left...

I sure got an "F" on that one!

THANKS STEVE!!..... I now recall being "educated" on that years ago that they both looked similar (to a novice at least) from a view to the rear quarter and rear end. Neither model seems to have survived very many at least... were they both very popular in their hey day? THX AGAIN..... still in a learning process.... but always eager to have the facts straight.

Last One

Steve,

It is also my understanding that the Mt. Morris car was the last Criterion built, but do we have some physical evidence of this? I'm just curious if there are any statements from M-M to that effect, or if the body number is known. Thanks.

Steve,

It is also my understanding that the Mt. Morris car was the last Criterion built, but do we have some physical evidence of this? I'm just curious if there are any statements from M-M to that effect, or if the body number is known. Thanks.

I think Larri Dirks and Steve Foster (of Foster Coach, the dealer that sold it) both told me this. I have no body number or other proof. Foster, a long-time M-M dealer, now sells ambulances only:

http://www.fostercoach.com/index.html

THANKS STEVE!!..... I now recall being "educated" on that years ago that they both looked similar (to a novice at least) from a view to the rear quarter and rear end. Neither model seems to have survived very many at least... were they both very popular in their hey day? THX AGAIN..... still in a learning process.... but always eager to have the facts straight.

Don't feel bad, my friend...I learn something new every day!

The Guardian was only offered from 1960-1962 and was never very popular (for aesthetic reasons, I'm sure).

This style of Rescuer (and Pontiac Criterion) was used from 1959-62 and sold well. Using the same roof, the Cadillacs had 48" headroom while the Pontiac had only 46". This is because the frame "kick up" over the rear axle was higher on the Pontiac.

Did the link to the other thread not work? I thought it would be cumbersome and inefficient to address the same issue in separate threads.

It brings me back to the same picture, leading me to believe that this was the same thread... Here is your coment on that thread... Talk about inefficient and cumbersome...

The car to the left is a 1962 Superior/Cadillac 48" Rescuer that was at one time owned by the Hadleys and then Byrds in OH. The last time I saw it was at the Gaithersburg PCS meet in 1989...anyone know where it is now?

I don't think this '74 has appeared yet in any of the previous 17 pages. I shot this car (or what's left of it) at Carl Woerner's many years ago.

Terry

Attachments

• Criterion 007.jpg
    Criterion 007.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 349
i find it vary in lighting as to how these cars were treated. have you noticed how many of the roof signs are not put in correctly. the sign is made over size and screwed to the body not put in the rubber like it belongs. these pictures of when the first or second set has given up on the car show the different way they were taken care of and decked out. hardly any of them are alike. in the siren or lighting.

Here are a couple pictures of my Criterion in it's early days. First for the Millington Rescue then to Long Hill and finally into Leo's hands before coming my way.

Attachments

• Millington 2.jpg
    Millington 2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 393
  • Millington 3.jpg
    Millington 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 383
  • Long Hill 2.jpg
    Long Hill 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 390
  • Long Hill 1.jpg
    Long Hill 1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 386
Spoiler?

I don't think this '74 has appeared yet in any of the previous 17 pages. I shot this car (or what's left of it) at Carl Woerner's many years ago.

Terry

What is the custom made "slanted device" on the rear of the top?..... Air Spolier.... (*) Dust Preventer? (*) Our former 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance from Craig, Colorado had two small (commercially made) stainless steel air foil looking devices mounted just above the rear door and window. When I asked an old-timer from the Craig FD what they were for.... he said they were to direct the wind current down from the rear of the roof and blow the dust off the rear window when traveling down dirt roads. I don't know if he was "B-S'ing" me or not.... but we left them on as they didn't detract from the era correct looks of the car and obvioulsy had been on the car from new.... maybe a "Meteor Proprietory" Invention? Where is Lima and Allen Counties?..... must have had year around snow and salted roads?.... poor ole girl looks like she definately was used hard and put away wet! MM

What is the custom made "slanted device" on the rear of the top?..... Air Spolier.... (*) Dust Preventer? (*) Our former 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance from Craig, Colorado had two small (commercially made) stainless steel air foil looking devices mounted just above the rear door and window. When I asked an old-timer from the Craig FD what they were for.... he said they were to direct the wind current down from the rear of the roof and blow the dust off the rear window when traveling down dirt roads. I don't know if he was "B-S'ing" me or not.... but we left them on as they didn't detract from the era correct looks of the car and obviously had been on the car from new.... maybe a "Meteor Proprietary" Invention? Where is Lima and Allen Counties?..... must have had year around snow and salted roads?.... poor ole girl looks like she definitely was used hard and put away wet! MM

Mike - What you see on the top center of the rear door is a vent, There is a fan inside the door controlled by a switch. As the window in the patient compartment was fixed, this vent was the only option for venting unpleasant odors. The car in the photo also shows that it was ordered with a grab rail, and many had two of them. They were useful when standing on the rear step to access the top box to remove or replace the scoop stretcher or long spine board. I'll be adding one over the door, and another on the opening (left) side. The rails were purchased at a marine supply store, and are still available in chrome finish or stainless steel.

Where is Lima and Allen Counties?..... must have had year around snow and salted roads?.... poor ole girl looks like she definately was used hard and put away wet! MM

Lima is in Allen county, Ohio in the northwestern part of the state. Carl would have had a quick trip home, I-75 runs right through Lima & Cincinnati so he probably only left a debris field of rust driving south on I-75 to get it home :yum:

Mike - What you see on the top center of the rear door is a vent, There is a fan inside the door controlled by a switch. As the window in the patient compartment was fixed, this vent was the only option for venting unpleasant oders. The car in the photo also shows that it was ordered with a grab rail, and many had two of them. They were useful when standing on the rear step to access the top box to remove or relplace the scoop stretcher or long spineboard. I'll be adding one over the door, and another on the opening (left) side. The rails were purchased at a marine supply store, and are still available in chrome finish or stainless steel.

I'm not sure you're talking about the Lima/Allen Co. car; in any case, that car does appear to have a spoiler on the roof!

What is the custom made "slanted device" on the rear of the top?..... Air Spolier.... (*) Dust Preventer? (*) Our former 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance from Craig, Colorado had two small (commercially made) stainless steel air foil looking devices mounted just above the rear door and window. When I asked an old-timer from the Craig FD what they were for.... he said they were to direct the wind current down from the rear of the roof and blow the dust off the rear window when traveling down dirt roads. I don't know if he was "B-S'ing" me or not.... but we left them on as they didn't detract from the era correct looks of the car and obvioulsy had been on the car from new.... maybe a "Meteor Proprietory" Invention? Where is Lima and Allen Counties?..... must have had year around snow and salted roads?.... poor ole girl looks like she definately was used hard and put away wet! MM

The "wings" (dust deflectors) you're talking about were very popular on station wagons as well as carryalls (Suburbans, Travelalls, etc.). Some were mounted horizontally at the rear of the roof, either on the roof itself or as an integral part of the luggage rack:

http://www.motorvista.com/pictures/buick/wood-panel-station-wagon.htm

Others were installed vertically at the "D" pillar:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39176416@N02/3751916914/

My error; I thought Mike was refering to the other photos. The deflectors shown on the station wagons were added to vent away the exhaust gases from the tail pipe. As a child I rode in the back of our family station wagons (we had a number of them over the years) with the rear window rolled down. If I remeber correctly our 1960 (61?) Dodge Pioneer had a rear facing seat. Without the deflector, the exhaust would have been sucked into the car when the window was open. The rear facing seat presented a great opportunity for waiving to truck drivers and getting them to honk their air horns; super neat stuff when you are 10 years old.

Back