Bowtie beauties - procars on Chevy chassis

Here's a Chevy pro-car ambulance I like, this is a '66 National from Marlboro, MD (photo taken at our annual state fire parade in Ocean City, MD).

And you can't show Chevy's without some of the Suburbans. This is a '65 ACC from Trappe, MD. It seems like most every firehouse in Maryland had at least one ACC Suburban in that era, they were very popular around here. **I almost bought this when it was finally sold by Trappe in 2001, but I was the second-highest bidder. I think it's still out there, though.

(Lichtman collection, both Joel Woods photos)66NationalChevyMarlboro1.jpg65ACCSubTrappe0.jpg

This was mine, Two pics before I bought it and two after a little work. Sold it to a guy in Seattle and now its a clown car.

1970%20Chevy%20Ambulance.jpg

A%202.jpg

DSC01227.JPG

DSC01229.JPG

mail

mail

mail

station wagons

Here is a picture of my 1962 Chevrolet Bel Air C/B wagon...

(Paul Steinberg Collection)MVC-004L.jpgMVC-007L.jpg

1962 Pontiac Catalina by C/B

This 1962 Pontiac Catalina was manufactured by C/B just 2 days before my 1962 Chevrolet Bel Air, so it is safe to assume that they were both on the production floor at the same time. What I find interesting is that the Pontiac got roof trim that the Chevrolet didn't, even though they are both designated as being Tartan models on the C/B data plate. I have also found some other minor details between the cars that are not as noticeable. Both cars could technically be combinations cars, but the Pontiac is dressed as a hearse, and the Chevrolet is dressed as an ambulance.
(Pictures by Rocky Fluegge, used with permission)62 pontiac hearse 106.jpg62 pontiac hearse 107.jpg

Barrett F.H. (Sherman, TX)
1961 C/B-Chevrolet

Johns Hopkins APL Lab (Columbia, MD)
1960 National/Chevrolet

(SL collection)Barrett CB Chevy.jpg1960 National Chevrolet.jpg

Last edited:
63 Chevy possibly from the Dragstrip at Fontana (CA)

Don't know anything about the location or history of these neat Chevrolets:
1963 National and 1949 (?) Barnette. (Karsnia collection)

On the '63 Chevy.....the background and staff looks like a picture maybe from the Fontana (CA) Dragstrip. It has a Super Chief and an "added on" center probably CA STEADY RED Light too. MM

Here's a Chevy pro-car ambulance I like, this is a '66 National from Marlboro, MD (photo taken at our annual state fire parade in Ocean City, MD).

This is truly a good-looking car! I wonder what (if anything) National did to beef up the suspension, brakes, and tires to accomodate the extra weight? Does anyone know how the frame was reinforced after being stretched...double frame insert? Fishplate?

The flashers on this car are the same as 1961 Plymouth taillights. These were used on hundreds of limousine- and carryall-style ambulances in the US and Canada throughout the 1960s. Does anyone here know who made them? Here's a close-up shot from another thread:Plymouth 1961 taillight.jpg

Last edited:
This is truly a good-looking car! I wonder what (if anything) National did to beef up the suspension, brakes, and tires to accomodate the extra weight? Does anyone know how the frame was reinforced after being stretched...double frame insert? Fishplate?

The flashers on this car are the same as 1961 Plymouth taillights. These were used on hundreds of limousine- and carryall-style ambulances in the US and Canada throughout the 1960s. Does anyone here know who made them? Here's a close-up shot from another thread:

I don't know who made them but there is a set on Ebay for sale now, in pretty rough condition.

Hey, if anyone needs/wants some of these lights, I have a set I'd sell, and they're in better shape than the ones in the e-bay auction. Lenses, too! Let me know if you're interested. :071:

Jim Green F.H. (Pryor, OK)
1955 National/Chevrolet combination
Jim split from the family business in 1958 and opened a competing firm; this was his first ambulance. The lights and siren from this car were later used on a '64 Ford wagon (seen in the station wagon thread on this site).

(SL collection)

Individual (Jenks, OK)
1955 National/Chevrolet ambulance
The owner sold this car in 1986, and I have no idea where it ended up. I remember it being in very good shape.

(SL photo)Jim Green 55.jpgJenks 55.jpg

Steve, that is a great shot with the '57 National. As for that '55 you shared, saw it online a while back somewhere... it looked pretty much now like it did in that photo & is sure a choice ride to restore

Back