1965 Superior Pontiac missing medical equipment

Hi everyone!

My name is Hodge Hager. I'm from Ohio and recently bought Rich Litton's ambulance from NJ last year. I have obtained what I think are all of Pontiac's and Superior's manuals for it but have yet to figure out a few things. 1. There is a chromed post mounted near the Rico suction unit that appears to have broken off. I don't know what it was supposed to be, may or may not have been suction-related. I can't find any interior pics of other ambulances with anything similar. 2. On the bottom shelf of one of the medical cabinets is a sort of W shaped metal bracket. IDK if it was original to the car and/or what it was for. 3. There is a metal period correct fan in the cabinet as well that I've seen in plenty of other ambulance pics, but I don't see where there would have been mounting holes in the patient compartment leading me to suspect that it probably wasn't original to the car. Thoughts? I did go all the way back to Volzke Ambulance out of Seward, NE that started service with it on 2-15-72. I spoke to the owner's son last year. He informed me that his father had passed away the previous year and he couldn't offer much info. on the car. I do have a few pics of the car when his father bought it but none of them are interior pics. It was made on 7-23-65. Would it have been common to sit that long until '72 to be bought and start service? I wouldn't think so. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get much more history from the title or Superior's records. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the internet for sales brochures hoping to find medical equipment options offered at that time but haven't found anything to help figure out the broken post mystery yet. I have included pics. Also, do most of you have to have new body seals custom reproduced for the ambulance-specific parts, like rear door seals? Thank you very much for your help.

20221022_214942.jpg20221109_161017.jpg

Hi everyone!

My name is Hodge Hager. I'm from Ohio and recently bought Rich Litton's ambulance from NJ last year. I have obtained what I think are all of Pontiac's and Superior's manuals for it but have yet to figure out a few things. 1. There is a chromed post mounted near the Rico suction unit that appears to have broken off. I don't know what it was supposed to be, may or may not have been suction-related. I can't find any interior pics of other ambulances with anything similar. 2. On the bottom shelf of one of the medical cabinets is a sort of W shaped metal bracket. IDK if it was original to the car and/or what it was for. 3. There is a metal period correct fan in the cabinet as well that I've seen in plenty of other ambulance pics, but I don't see where there would have been mounting holes in the patient compartment leading me to suspect that it probably wasn't original to the car. Thoughts? I did go all the way back to Volzke Ambulance out of Seward, NE that started service with it on 2-15-72. I spoke to the owner's son last year. He informed me that his father had passed away the previous year and he couldn't offer much info. on the car. I do have a few pics of the car when his father bought it but none of them are interior pics. It was made on 7-23-65. Would it have been common to sit that long until '72 to be bought and start service? I wouldn't think so. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get much more history from the title or Superior's records. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have searched the internet for sales brochures hoping to find medical equipment options offered at that time but haven't found anything to help figure out the broken post mystery yet. I have included pics. Also, do most of you have to have new body seals custom reproduced for the ambulance-specific parts, like rear door seals? Thank you very much for your help.
The "W" bracket is a double IV bottle/bag hook. It would have been hung on an IV pole. As for the other chromed post is definitely aftermarket given that it is screwed in with slot screws rather than Phillips head screws as would have been factory. I have no idea what it may have been for. Hope that helps a bit.

Hodge, welcome. I own your sister car, and if you need any pics for comparison when you are working on it, just drop me a note.
I will be at my car today, and will check about the chrome mounting post.DSC_1625 (2) (600 x 400).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tim. Does your roof flasher flash fast, faster than the car's hazard flasher? Mine does, all of the bulbs light & Rich thought he remembered the Pontiacs back then in NJ EMS flashing slower than it does. I have attached pics from when it was new (assuming Volzke bought it new in '72). Rich said he replaced the original roof light w/the "hill" light & sold it, along w/changing the front panel from EMERGENCY to AMBULANCE & having the portion above the doors that was originally red painted white. I plan on switching that stuff back. Any idea what the original roof light was from the pics? A pic from Cincinnati where it went after Volzke makes it look like a flat four beam but the earlier pics look like a round dome 2 beam. Have you had to replace body seals? If so, where did you find them? My roof leaks in the front as my roofline body seals between the rain gutters & roof are dry rotted & split open, along w/a leaky back door seal. I am looking for a replacement turn signal switch. All I can find are ones for tilt steering wheels. I'm guessing there must be a difference? Thank you for any help you can give me. I'd love to see your car at a meet sometime soon. Take care!

Thanks Tim. Does your roof flasher flash fast, faster than the car's hazard flasher? Mine does, all of the bulbs light & Rich thought he remembered the Pontiacs back then in NJ EMS flashing slower than it does. I have attached pics from when it was new (assuming Volzke bought it new in '72). Rich said he replaced the original roof light w/the "hill" light & sold it, along w/changing the front panel from EMERGENCY to AMBULANCE & having the portion above the doors that was originally red painted white. I plan on switching that stuff back. Any idea what the original roof light was from the pics? A pic from Cincinnati where it went after Volzke makes it look like a flat four beam but the earlier pics look like a round dome 2 beam. Have you had to replace body seals? If so, where did you find them? My roof leaks in the front as my roofline body seals between the rain gutters & roof are dry rotted & split open, along w/a leaky back door seal. I am looking for a replacement turn signal switch. All I can find are ones for tilt steering wheels. I'm guessing there must be a difference? Thank you for any help you can give me. I'd love to see your car at a meet sometime soon. Take care!
Hodge...welcome to the PCS. You'll find a wealth of information amongst the members here. Check your roof light bulbs for good contact/ground and condition. One of the leading causes of a fast light is a problem with the bulbs. Start with the simple easy to fix areas before moving to more complex ones.

To add to Bill's comment, with any electrical issues always verify the ground connections. Many of the electrical issues I had were caused by bad grounds.

As to the original beacon, the first two pics are either a Federal 174 or 176. With a clear dome, likely 174.
The third pic is likely (?) a Dietz 211 (?).
The 174 was a continually rotating 4 beam unit, all lamps on the same plane (unlike the 175 hill light). The 176 was an oscillating light . If you google video them you will see them in action.
I will try and post a video of my light pattern/speed.federal 176.jpgdietz 211.jpg

Perhaps Ed can speak up and help you with thoughts on the seals replacement and turn signal switch.

I also replaced my bullett lights and side marker lights with RED LED bulbs (not clear). Use the number on the present bulbs and look for the strongest LED replacement on Amazon. Much brighter, and not expensive.

Living up here in western Canada, the trip to the meets is a long one, and I don't have a trailer, (and am no mechanic to deal with break downs). Otherwise would love to attend with a car.

The fiberglass top was sealed with a strip calk type materal. A heavy clay type sealer common used in those years. A decent paintable exterior caulk is best to use today to seal.things like that now. As for the runner door type seales. Cut a thin wafer from were it is not damaged and then compare the profile with sites like steel rubber or metro till you can find a match. As for the speed of the flaser. Not knowing how thay are wired it is hard to say. If it's a plug in flasher going to a heavy duty one wil! Slow them down.

Your 1965 Superior Pontiac ambulance was delivered from the factory with a Julian McDermott Multi-Pulse flasher. This flasher gave a clicking sound under the hood of the car. A couple of years ago I posted the wiring instructions for this flasher on our forums. I might have a used one in the garage, but it will be a while before I will be able to check for you. I will get back to you on this.

Hi Hodge,
Sorry I am late to the dance, but I am the Ohio Chapter President. My job keeps me from getting on here as much as I used to but I was excited to see another Ohioan with a pro car. Where are you located in Ohio? I may be able to help you with your car with equipment. Anyone here can tell you I am no gearhead or body man, but I worked out of these cars many years so I know what looks right. I am in northeast Ohio in the Akron-Canton area but I know where everybody else in Ohio lives who can help you out as well. The Ohio Chapter is planning some Chapter meets around the state this year so maybe you can come show that beauty off. Get a hold of me.

Hi Hodge,
Sorry I am late to the dance, but I am the Ohio Chapter President. My job keeps me from getting on here as much as I used to but I was excited to see another Ohioan with a pro car. Where are you located in Ohio? I may be able to help you with your car with equipment. Anyone here can tell you I am no gearhead or body man, but I worked out of these cars many years so I know what looks right. I am in northeast Ohio in the Akron-Canton area but I know where everybody else in Ohio lives who can help you out as well. The Ohio Chapter is planning some Chapter meets around the state this year so maybe you can come show that beauty off. Get a hold of me.
Thank you Ron. I am in Bellefontaine, about an hour northwest of Columbus. Robinaugh Ambulance Service in town has a 1972 Superior Cadillac but the interior had totally changed by then. Darin, the owner (who's father bought the ambulance but passed away last year), wasn't sure what my interior should contain. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Thank you Ron. I am in Bellefontaine, about an hour northwest of Columbus. Robinaugh Ambulance Service in town has a 1972 Superior Cadillac but the interior had totally changed by then. Darin, the owner (who's father bought the ambulance but passed away last year), wasn't sure what my interior should contain. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Here's a shot of my 75 Superior. A 65 would not be likely to have a defibrillator but would have a kit, oxygen, maybe a demand valve resuscitator, a Rico suction unit, a backboard or a scoop stretcher. The interiors did not change much over the years of the 60s and 70s. In the spring your are more than welcome to come on over to see how we have our cars set up and I might have some surplus you can take home with you. Right now everything is covered up and tucked away for a long winter nap. I have five cars, and three of them are Superiors, so you could get some ideas. Ohio Chapter is planning a meet in May in Springfield (down by Dayton, not the one near Akron). We also have a meet planned for August in Alliance and working on one near Mansfield.

IMG_3363.jpg

We are also having our 46th Professional Car Society in August 8-12, 2023. There will be more information on these forums shortly. thanks
Paul Steinberg
President

Back