1958 Cadillac Superior Beau Monde Survivor in Cuba

Photos of this remarkable '58 Beau Monde survivor just surfaced, located in a small town near Matanzas, Cuba, about 2 hours east of Havana. A couple of my Cuban car friends have heard of the Cadillac for years but never seen it until now. I don't know what type of coach it is but have not seen such a clean, original vehicle of any type there still wearing its factory paint, wheel covers - even the steering wheel looks perfect. It's been in service from the beginning, now wearing government license plates, and I hope to find this Coche Funebre on a future trip to see the interior's condition and get more photos.

58 Superior Beau Monde 3 Matanzas Cuba.jpg
58 Superior Beau Monde 2 Matanzas Cuba.jpg
58 Superior Beau Monde 1.jpg
58 Superior Beau Monde 5C Matanzas Cuba.jpg

Thanks Bill. Not a silly question, but how does one determine the difference between a combination and funeral coach?
Is there a data plate or model number somewhere on the car? Is Model # 8680S a combination coach?
If I ever see this beauty, I'd like to know where to look for its model number.

Data plates are generally riveted or screwed to the left fender well. If you are photographing a car, getting a picture of the body builder data plate, and the chassis manufacturers data plate, will usually give you a lot more information about the car and its build.

Combination coaches usually had a flippable floor, flat for ambulance use and with rollers for hearse use. Combos also usually had a demountable beacon on the roof, which you may see switches for up front, and a screw hole in the roof, plus they often times had a demountable siren under the hood, which there also may or may not be evidence of.

Wonder if that quarter-panel brightwork is custom from the coach builder or taken off a '57? It's not from a '58.
Chris,
That quarter panel trim is original, unique to Superior and was an extra-cost option. For '57-8, it was mostly seen on their Coupe de Fleur flower cars, but available on other models. Superior offered various renditions of this brightwork from '57 up through the 1960s.

20210623_120521.jpg

Back