You have owned it for how long !?!?!

My father Norman J. Merksamer took delivery of a metallic orange 1972 Pontiac LeMans Sport convertible with the 400 V-8 and energy-absorbing Endura nose brand new at Klinger Pontiac of Mamaroneck, NY in December, 1971, and it was really the only car he used on a regular basis until he purchased a yellow Mustang V-8 convertible in 1994. As my mother ran a 1968 Cadillac DeVille convertible at the time, my father always called the LeMans "the little car," even though it was bigger than the Town Car my mother owned by the 1990s. Though our local body shop had a hard time repainting dings in the Endura nose without cracking or flaking, the LeMans' incredibly long tenure was certainly helped by its sweet-running 400 CID V-8 and the absence of suitably-charismatic brand new droptops during the 1980s - a boxy K-car convertible simply could not have taken its place! I don't think it ever got gassed up WITHOUT attracting at least one purchase inquiry per fill-up, and I never thought twice about driving it 100 or 200 miles to Pennsylvania shows like the PCS Northeast Chapter's Lahaska meet. Thanks to our salty Northeast winters, however, there was more Bondo than sheetmetal in the cowl and rocker panels by the time we attempted a ground-up restoration that was badly-botched by two different shops. The second restorer even sold off the 400 V-8 and used the less-desirable 350 from the parts car, and it went downhill from there after the project leader had a falling out with the shop owner while my dad's car was deep in the disassembly stage. It was just a couple of years ago that we found a new owner through the local gas station owner who always admired the car in spite of our troubles refurbishing it.

Last edited:
I bought the 80 S&S Victoria combination in 2004 unfortunately I sold it. The car I have had the longest is the 75 Superior 54" that I have had since 2005.

I had a '73 Buick Centurion convertible from June 1987 until June 2011 when I traded it in on a pickup.

Pro car-wise the ones I've had the longest are my '65 Superior Cadillac Sovereign combo (since Sept. 1990) and my '72 Superior Cadillac 54" (since March 1992) How time flies!

I bought my 59 Eureka Ambulance in September of 1975. It was sitting in the local AMC dealer's "Really, REALLY Used" car lot with "RUNS GOOD" painted on the windshield. They killed 3 batteries getting it started.

Had this since I was in high school, dont remember the exact year...was either 05 or 06 I believe.
Bought it for $250 from Carl Woerner. Its shifted back and forth with my dad before but its all mine again. Hope I can someday get the needed shelter and money to fix it up to it's true potential.....

DSC07890.jpg

DSC07888.jpg

DSC07889.jpg

I own my 1978 New York City police car clone since 2007. Was a straight 4 door passenger car with 50k miles on it and I did the police conversion in 2009... and Own my '70 M-M since last year!

I bought my 1951 Buick in 1973. I know I was 14 and could not get a license until I was 15, so I drove it to the end of our drive and turned around for a year or so.

Had this since I was in high school, dont remember the exact year...was either 05 or 06 I believe.
Bought it for $250 from Carl Woerner. Its shifted back and forth with my dad before but its all mine again. Hope I can someday get the needed shelter and money to fix it up to it's true potential.....

DSC07890.jpg

DSC07888.jpg

DSC07889.jpg

What year model Miller-Meteor Landau Traditional is this? A 77, 78 or 79?

What year model Miller-Meteor Landau Traditional is this? A 77, 78 or 79?

It's a 77. 67k original on it. Needs some body work, paint, exhaust system and brake lines fixed. It was originally Saffron exterior and Brown/Tan interior and then Brown exterior when I bought it but I want to do a Black and Black conversion. Also im not sure what year make and model the landau bars are because they were a pair that Carl had laying around so pretty sure they arent original, but they do the trick.

Couldn't tell enough by the picture. Couldn't see the grille or tail lights clearly and with the incorrect landau irons I couldn't tell for sure.

It's MIKE STEVENS with a 1969 Camero he bought new and still owns.
:clap:

Prize and photos coming tomorrow after Mike gets to the meet.

Way to go Mike and THANKS to everyone who posted their cars and stories.
:thankyou2:

This is a reminder... keep em, don't sell em !
That way you will never regret it !

Darren

Professional car owned the longest contest

Well, nothing like reading about the contest after the fact (I need to get on the Website more often!). As a post-note, George has owned his 1936 Henney Packard funeral coach since 1966. I would have guessed others could top that...

Bee Hamlin

Bee

That would have taken it !!! ...but yes, too late to apply. Sorry.

Hearing George has had a car for 46 years is outstanding !!!
Congrats to George !!! Amazing ! as I am 46 years old until October 2012.

Mike

You didn't show up at the meet so I will get it to you as promised.

The prize is a Phoenix Mint Diecast 1937 Studebaker Hearse.

This is a SPECIAL EDITION in a series of Buffalo NY Traditions
Featuring the Carlton Ullrich Funeral Home.
The funeral home name is printed on the hearse making this a
future collectible as they are limited and only sold in 2012.

Congrats Mike !
Darren

Not a procar, but........

In Nov. 1966 I went with my father to pick up (his) 1967 Buick Skylark Convertible from New Britain Buick, New Britain CT. I didn't know he had bought a new car. One evening after dinner, he said "want to come with me to pick up the new car?" Of course I always went where dad went. When I saw it was a convertible, I remember saying "oh no! it's a convertible! If it rolls over we'll get killed!" Imagine that????????

My first hearse was my 1967 Superior limousine style 3-way, purchased in 1990 from Gleeson Mortuary in Torrington CT, with the assistance of Paul Cichon who checked it out for me. Tom

Attachments

• Tom_Buick.jpg
    Tom_Buick.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 67_Superior011.jpg
    67_Superior011.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 96
Longest ownership question

In December of 1966 I bought my 1963 Chevy Impala convertable. It is not currently on the road, but I do in fact still own it and it is a topic of conversation on many occasions.

Back