Window Rubber

I am hopeful that someone may have a source for the stationary glass rubber for my 1956 Cadillac Superior Moderne. The rubber on the rear glass including the rear door and corner pieces are very dry and need replacing. I would really appreciate any help.

This is always a problem. To match it up you need a profile. The companies that sell this kind of stuff by the foot do so with a picture showing the end view profile. Metro Rubber. Steele Rubber and Rubber The Tight Way are the most common. Others like Dan has mentioned are good sources. I suspect that they are all manufactured in one place and all the venders buy from them.
The bad part is in order to get a profile you need to remove one. One trick I have found is if they are just hard with a few cracks in them is to soak them with WD-40 inside and out between the glass and rubber between the rubber and body. Don't force things as they will brake easily. Do this a couple times a day till you can feel them soften up. It may take awhile. Then if there is only a split or crack or two. Tape off the body and use the urethane windshield glue to fill in the cracks and splits. Use care don't get it on the paint as lacquer thinner is the only way to get it off. Don't worry about appearances right now. Let it set up then the next day you can trim excess off with a new razer blade. Take any excess off the glass this way to. Then you can sand it with a course sandpaper like 220 grit so that it us flush with the rubber. On a close inspection you will see the repair. But on somethings it's all you can do.

This is always a problem. To match it up you need a profile. The companies that sell this kind of stuff by the foot do so with a picture showing the end view profile. Metro Rubber. Steele Rubber and Rubber The Tight Way are the most common. Others like Dan has mentioned are good sources. I suspect that they are all manufactured in one place and all the venders buy from them.
The bad part is in order to get a profile you need to remove one. One trick I have found is if they are just hard with a few cracks in them is to soak them with WD-40 inside and out between the glass and rubber between the rubber and body. Don't force things as they will brake easily. Do this a couple times a day till you can feel them soften up. It may take awhile. Then if there is only a split or crack or two. Tape off the body and use the urethane windshield glue to fill in the cracks and splits. Use care don't get it on the paint as lacquer thinner is the only way to get it off. Don't worry about appearances right now. Let it set up then the next day you can trim excess off with a new razer blade. Take any excess off the glass this way to. Then you can sand it with a course sandpaper like 220 grit so that it us flush with the rubber. On a close inspection you will see the repair. But on somethings it's all you can do.
I appreciate it, Jim, new one I have one possibility pending, if it doesn’t work out I will certainly try the ones you suggested here.
Thanks for your help.

Like everything else the price on that stuff has doubled in the last two years. We used one of the steel rubber products for the side glass in the 70. It was only 4 something a foot then.

Back