What are your favorite procar movies?

1. Grand theft Parsons. There is a hearse through out the entire movie and its actually a co-star.
2. Mother Jugs and Speed
3. Harold and Maude

Its hard to decide only three because I also love a couple more but for once I am following directions:toocool:

I watched a movie last night called "The Elite Killers". In it there was a scene where James Caan is transported to the hospital in a 71 Cadillac M-M. What I found a bit strange was they had him with an IV which I know they didn't do back then. :stars:

Very cool!

Robert!

Excellent... Just excellent! I went to YouTube and in Part 2 of "The Long Hot Summer," I saw the scenes you mentioned.

Being the proud owner of a 1957 M-M ambulance I imagined what my car would look like in pwder blue and white!

While I don't remember seeing this movie as a youngster... I do remember the crush I had for Lee Remick and never realized just how attractive she and Joanne Woodward were in their younger dayz! They were VERY hot for that Long Summer!"

Thanks for the info!

Rick

"The other candidate for PCS President!"
:D

This is a 1957 Miller-Meteor Futura ambulance running Code-3 in the 1958 movie "The Long Hot Summer". Orson Wells is being transported home in the ambulance, and there are a number of shots of the car. You really get a very good look at it, both inside and out. The film is very good, and has a cast of great actors including Paul Newman and Joann Woodward.

Jeremy, you aren't following directions either. ;) Liking all of them isn't an answer. I need your top three favorites. Once everyone responds, I'm going to calculate the answers to figure out the top couple of favorites for a top secret project that I'm working on.

Ok, ok!!!:whip: Here are my top three!

1. M,J&S!

2. Phantasm Series.

3. Hell's Highway Series.

But I still like all the others that are listed too!!!!!!:p

Whats Love Got To Do With It is pretty good with a 1954 A.J. Miller Rescuer high top ambulance (Mike McDonald's?) along with a shot of at least a combo or low top ambulance in a hospital scene and a great night shot of a 1970 Superior Rescuer ambulance lit up on a run along with number of Series 75 limo's in the movie as well!:toocool: Its a pretty good movie if you can get past about 80% of the movie being about Ike beating the poo out of Tina!:4_11_9:

I watched a movie last night called "The Elite Killers". In it there was a scene where James Caan is transported to the hospital in a 71 Cadillac M-M. What I found a bit strange was they had him with an IV which I know they didn't do back then. :stars:

Not completely true, in 1967 the first Paramedic program started not very far from you. Miami City Firefighters were trained as the nations first Paramedics by Dr. Eugene Nagel, in response to The White Paper of 1966, Accidental death and Disability: The Neglected Disease of Modern Society.

Everyone is taking credit these days for the "First" Paramedics

To be accurate,

The first Paramedics to be trained and practice in the USA, happened right here in Pittsburgh, PA in 1966.

Dr. Peter Safer (Father of CPR) and Dr. Nancy Caroline, author of Emergency Care in the Steets, the first Paramedic training manual, started Freedom House Ambulance. These trainees were the VERY FIRST.

To be accurate,

The first Paramedics to be trained and practice in the USA, happened right here in Pittsburgh, PA in 1966.

Dr. Peter Safer (Father of CPR) and Dr. Nancy Caroline, author of Emergency Care in the Steets, the first Paramedic training manual, started Freedom House Ambulance. These trainees were the VERY FIRST.

I read about Freedom House Ambulance, they were staffed with African American males. In medic school we were told Miami was first, Freedom House has a very interesting website.

Freedom House made it cool to stay in school!

Brendan,

Freedom House was not totally staffed by African Americans, but I will say predominantly. Dave Lindell, a friend and paramedic instuctor, was one of about 9 white guyz that worked there. I had the opportunity to work with several FH Alums. Bob Zepfel (deceased), a funeral director and ambulance operator in Pittsburgh and then Greene County, PA and Ronald Ragin (no relation to the former prez) whom I heard had passed... but I just like to say "Whereabouts Unknown!" When I started in 1971, it was the best of times... REALLY!:D

Those guyz and galz were really the first attempt at bringing definative ALS, prehospital care to the streets... and was pretty much the model, that guyz like us could be "trained/ educated " to be the eyes, ears and hands of the doc's. Lots of those guys were mentors to we young upstarts!

In addition, Dr. Ron Stewart who is/ was the Minister of Health somewhere in Canada/ Nova Scotia, did his residency in Emergency Medicine at U of Pittsburgh and went on to establish The Center for Emergency Medicine w/ Dr. Don Benson and begin to put emergency residents into the field. Stewart went on to become the Medical consultant/ advisor for the TV show Emergency and the fist medical director for Pittsburgh EMS, which essentially put Freedom House out of business in 1975.

Just to keep Sarah happy, I'll follow the rules too. In no particular order; Mother Jugs & Speed, Harold & Maude, Grand Theft Parsons. As a footnote here, while the Packard Hearse in "The Hearse" was a cool car and got plenty of air time, the movie sucked canal water!

Has anybody seen "Once Around" with Richard Dreyfus? The final scene shows the main character's funeral procession led by a silver limousine style 1985 Eureka Concours Town Car. Unfortunately, the roof cap over the driver's compartment is in place.

To be accurate,

West Virginia may beat out Pittsburgh for being the first. I asked my friend and EMS historian to answer the question, and received the following response.

I think depends how you define "paramedics". If you use the term "trained to Federal standards, Freedom House wins out, as Nancy Caroline wrote a training text for Freedom House, which morphed into the DOT Paramedic Training Curriculum, than the EMT-II curriculum, than the EMT-I curriculum. I am not sure that Safer had much to do with Freedom House, I understand Caroline did the work. After many years helping the Feds get there act together the Israeli government ask her to come to Israel (she is Jewish) to set up a pre-hospital care program, modeled on American standards. It is run through the Israel version of the Red Cross, Magen David Adom.

I believe Freedom House started up in 1966 about the same time as Seattle, and when Los Angeles County was trying to figure out how to set up their program, which briefly used Cardiac Care Nurses, but moved on to firefighters.

Jim Page documents paramedics in rural West Virginia that were operational in the mid-1960's long before New York, Miami, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles or Seattle. Most interesting they could not afford radios so they worked on standing orders unlike most of the fire service based models.

Back