Water seeping into the rear quarter panels

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Since it was raining this afternoon I decided to explore the interior of the 54XL. The inside of the rear passenger side quarter panel are in excellent shape, but, as expected water is seeping in from the mouldings and the Antenna and shoreline plug. The last two will need new gaskets.

I am not talking buckets of water like my old 67, but enough to be noticeable.

The question I have is should I drill a hole to let the water that is collecting drain out or just leave it as is. It will be a few more weeks before the car can get in the garage and if I plan a few overnight trips and get caught in rainstorms then I worry that this may start the rust process.

Of you recommend drilling a hole, how big and how do you prevent water and dirt to come in from the road as you are driving?

Thanks.PXL_20210619_224458696.jpg

No question about it, drill a 1/4" hole in the bac side of the quarter panel. I would start with an 1/8" drill, and then move to the 1/4" drill. Look for the lowest point on the quarter panel on the inside sheet metal, where the quarter panel and the inner panel are joined together at the bottom. There might already be some slits between the two sheets of steel that have become clogged. If you don't provide a place for the water to escape, then it will start to rust from the inside to the outside. If you can get into the space, then clean it as best as you can, and then use a waxy rust inhibitor, such as Cosmoline or Fluid Film.

I didn't even notice the Romex. That has to be some wiring "upgrade" or change from as built originally. I have never seen Romex in an automobile. I suggest that you do some investigating, and replace it with stranded automotive wire of the proper gauge. I would also replace all heater hoses, if they are original. Just like your vacuum hoses, heater hoses deteriorate with age.

The Romex is for the 120-volt side. It goes from the shoreline through 3 in-car 120-volt outlets and into the converter which then transforms the 120V to 12V and goes to the batteries.

Back