Vintage Ambulance Action Photo

Sharp uniforms, and Rescue 6 ain't too shabby looking either. Hey, what do you suppose the kid in the backround is so happy about? Sure has a big smile on his face for being at the scene of a scooter accident.

............... Hey, what do you suppose the kid in the backround is so happy about? Sure has a big smile on his face for being at the scene of a scooter accident.

He is happy to see a shiny new Cadillac Professional Car, and thinking to himself that someday, he is going to own one just like it and start the PCS... :D

Nope, not cops, neither one is wearing a gun!

The guys in the uniforms with the stripe on the pants are probably career firefighters from the county fire department, wearing tan uniforms. The guys in the white coats are presumably the ambulance crew, possibly volunteer or career firefighters assigned to the ambulance. The firefighters probably came on an engine or squad.

The earlier picture in the same series shows a cop in the background and a third firefighter.
8542.jpg

Interesting history note for fire guys - Ambulances in Arlington County, VA (where this photo is from) were called "Rescues" until shortly after a 1982 plane crash. The passenger jet crashed on the 14th St. Bridge, connecting Arlington, VA with Washington, DC. Serveral people were pinned in flattened cars on the bridge, and units from both Arlington and DC fire departments responded. Now in DC, a "rescue" is a big truck with extrication tools, which would have been called a "squad" in Arlington. The DC Fire units called Arlington requesting another "rescue" (big truck with tools) on the bridge, and shortly, an Arlington "rescue" (little truck with stretcher) showed up. So DC called again to request a "rescue" (truck with tools) from Arlington, and another Arlington "rescue" (truck with stretcher) showed up. Proving the need for clear communication, a region-wide plan was set up shortly afterward that standardized the name (and, after 9/11, regionalized numbering as well) of every type of fire/rescue vehicle in the area.

the wrecked car picture

Don't know what the kid in the first picture is smiling about. Maybe he knows something we don't.
What is the opinion on the model of the car on its roof? The side trim says Buick to me. Until I got to the small bits of chrome at the front of the rear fender wheel opening. I don't remember Buicks having that. I could not see 'port holes' in the front fender either. The snow tires tell us it was not in the deep south.
Mike

taking a second look

After taking a second look at the car accident picture with the same Cadillac ambulance we know one thing for sure. The Cadillac is a 55 model. Last year for the round exhaust ports in the rear bumper. You can see part of the grille. The 'dagmars' go up high into the grille. This is where the parking lights would be on a 1954 model. Now about the other car...where are your best guesses?
Mike

Junior Explorer

Sharp uniforms, and Rescue 6 ain't too shabby looking either. Hey, what do you suppose the kid in the backround is so happy about? Sure has a big smile on his face for being at the scene of a scooter accident.

He must be part of the ambulance crew. He's holding a blanket in the other photo. Maybe he had a standard first aid card.

He must be part of the ambulance crew. He's holding a blanket in the other photo. Maybe he had a standard first aid card.

First Aid cards were all anyone had back then. I started in 1971, and our State requirements were Advanced First Aid and an Emergency Vehicle Operators License. I received a CPR certificate from the AHA, and advanced ambulance training from our local Medical Society. The ambulance specific course was a very big deal then, and taught by doctors who were members of the Society. I got my EMT-1A in 1972, after attending the first class offered in my area.

Back