The DSS farce

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Ok spent the whole day yesterday chasing down facts for the department of social services. They could not believe that i swapped trucks around 4 times in a short time frame before i could find one i can sit in and still pull a trailer but get good gas mileage empty. Then prof of a set of of documents for this that and the other thing. But the hard one is proof of the value i have set on the 12 cars i have here the 13 truck and the 06 montie have a value. But what is the value of a 86 H&E 6 door with the 4.1 or a 72 CB with the motor pulled out. Or a 64 chevy service car taken apart? How about a 96 S&S 6 door with transmission troubles ( goes to the hospital tomarrow). The trouble with more then one car is now there is 11 that need at least one thing done to them. The power antenna on the 86 broke the last time it was driven. I have the parts but not time to put it together right now. So it's laying on the front floor in pieces. I'll get to it soon but not now. how a bout a 1953 Armbruster ambulance with minor mechanical problems. But what is the cash value? It's a matter of interpretation.

The key is a true value. Got a dealer friend that will help me. As DSs will not except any value i but on them.

In order to receive medicate assistance for the 8000 cost of placing my wife in to extended care they require a full accounting of assets . Personal property are assets things such as shop equptment, cars,life insurence, collectables all have to be accounted for as anything sold, traded or given away in the last 3 years. Then things that they feel that were shuffled or under sold are adjusted to some standard That suits them.a dollar amount that is your fair share is set. That is why I'm having a dealer friend give me a faire market value on the 12 cars. Not a fun process but as anyone else that has gone threw it knows a nessary one. As the decline continues to effect her ability to function it becomes a safety factor. Either option move to long tearm care of have help come to the house is a major expense. That no amount of pre planing can prepair one for as things change to fast in the health care busness.

Ed, so sorry to hear all of this. I fear the hoops to jump through north of the border are similar. A travesty to ask families to do this in my opinion.

Here in New Brunswick, they do not take any of the assets in their calculations for placement in adult residential facilities (ARF). Facilities are responsible to provide heat, lights, meals, laundry, etc. They have a standard rate that allows the residents to keep $150 per month for their expenses. The rest goes to the Provincial ARF fund to pay for the operations of the facilities and the Government subsides the rest.

One can choose to go to the fancy ones where they have to pay out of pocket for the fancy stuff, but most of the basic ARFs are really good.

Overall this is a horrible challenge considering what you're trying to accomplish. I feel bad...thinking of both of you- the care taker is often forgotten.

In another lifetime I was one of those DSS bureaucrats. There used to be arbitrary (but very minimal) values set for the kind of assets Ed references, but the digital age means the system can now nitpick those things as only bureaucrats can.

I gotta chuckle somewhat ruefully at how when somebody's running for office and wants your vote, they promise easy, instant access to tax-supported services, but it turns out to be a very different story when you actually need that easy, instant access.

I understand the need to be serten people are not hidding wads of money that should be used for health car. but my life is a open book both of us use direct dep only have one bank account. the house is payed off the cars are payed off as is the credit cards. I guess if it's simple it raises red flags. but the home is wanting more then this cowboy makes by doubble to keep her. at 90% disabled myself earning big bucks is just not in the cards. right now the home wont admit her till they get a responce on the finanches and I would get that till she is admitted. the old catch 22 again.

John you're playing the other team's game on their field by their rules and you're alone. I can only work from what you write, so I may be in error.
What I do NOT see is reference to a Hospital Social Worker. That person should have been heavily involved in Discharge planning and more heavily involved in getting the patient into the next level of care. You need to step back from the instant situation which has gotten out of hand, and get the Social Worker helping you..

As to the value of your collection it can only be determined upon sale between a willing buyer and willing seller. Vehicles not presently ready for sale have only minimal market value. In the situation of a pile of iron & plastic parts that can be a quality restored collector car with $10,000 of labor, the value of that pile of parts is weight X scrap price per pound. The potential future value of a restored car holds no relevance for your purpose.

Right you are we started with the social worker in the home. It was her supervisor that came up with the finances first thing. we currently have a decent amount from DSS . I'll check tomorrow on a available bed.

I'll just save a lot of keystrokes, Social Workers employed by extended care facilities generally leave much to be desired. If they were worth employing they'd be working in a Hospital.
Ideally you get the Hospital Social Worker armtwisting the care facility Social Worker in your and the patient's interest.
They both speak the same language, and you don't speak that language.
Bear in mind one wrong box checked by the admitting SW at the care facility can cost you mightily over time, especially in Medicaid situations. Also remember the SW for the home doesn't have a bit of skin in the game.

Sorry if this comes across as cruel, but You and the patient need to be protected over the long run.

Add that to 100% beds full and a waiting list. Then you see why. They don't need to go the extra mile. The facility is full. No need for recrutment.

Back