Temp Gauge showing hot LT1

NJ Dorsey

Hi friends, so I just replaced a Water Pump after I noticed my coolant was low and my temp gauge showed the car getting hot. I found the leak where I found it in another LT1 engine, at the seal between the pump and engine.

I tried to pop the thermostat out of the old water pump as gently as possible and reused it.

Now I forgot to bleed the air and after driving the car a couple miles the temp gauge showed at 90% hot. I've let it cool, bled it. Let it warm, bled it again. Refilled the coolant (which was low after driving) and now the car is still getting hot after driving a mile or 2. If I check the overflow reservoir, The coolant bubbles like it's boiling at this point. Even after the car cools down the gauge is showing 90% to max hot, until i restart the ignition. I just bought another thermostat... REALLY hope this solves it... but do you think I could have ruined an LT1 so easily?

I assume you bled it running? This makes it easy as the stock bleeder screw lets in run out all over the distributor. You attach a line to this and just put in a container. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 complete heat cycles to bleed the air out. With the thermoset out fill it up thru the thermostat opening as high as possible, install the thermostat and then bleed the air off. Do the cooling fans come on? Turn the a/c on at least one fan will come on , depending on a/c pressure and temp than the other fan will come on .

Coolant Bleeder Valve

Attachments

• coolant-bleeder-valve.jpg
    coolant-bleeder-valve.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 2
There are 3 seals in the front , when you do a water pump you are half way there to just changing them all .

DSC03096.JPG

Thanks, Dan! Helpful info. And I didn't know about those special valves , I'll have to get one of those. It can get pretty messy with the stock bleeder valve.

I did replace the temp gauge this morning and it seems like that's the solution! Phew!

One wonder if most of this is planed obsolescence. The way they are assembling things now. Starters and water pumps in the block and in this case a water pump inside the disturber. My 96 has a plastic piece with brass rods moving inside of it that has warn threw or just broken won't know till they drop the pan on the transmission.

The water pump is not in the distributor, it is in front of the distributor and about same amount of work to change as a 60,s v8 Chevy water pump.

.DSC03103.JPG

NJ Dorset
I'd like to add. If your having trouble burping or bleeding the system, It helps some if front end is on ramps or jacked up and on stands as high as you can safely get it.

Back