Superior 54XL History

I found another 54XL. This one was used in the movie Nurse Sherri. I do not have a record of this 54XL, so it makes it #16 If there were 50 built between 75 and 76 it means that there are still 34 to be found!

Would anyone have any ideas of the provenance of this one?

Pictures from https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1163739-Cadillac-Ambulance-1975.html

i001163739.jpg

nursesherri1978mkv_snapshot_001258_20180731_220430.jpg

From the 1976 Superior Brochure. I seem to remember that I red somewhere that they used pictures from a 1975 54XL for the 1976 Brochure. The car definitively has a 1975 grill and all of the details are the same, so I assume that this is correct.

02 - 1975 54XL - Brochure 02.jpg02 - 1975 54XL - Brochure 01.jpg02 - 1975 54XL - Brochure 04.jpg

I got this information regarding a 1975 54XL in Detroit. It was a 1975- Superior 54-XL, maroon and silver. The name of the service was ''Quick Ambulance Service'' and was located on East Warren avenue on Detroit's east side. The name of the owner was Warren DeRose.

He ran a small ambulance service and body removal service and closed his doors in 1988 after 40-years in service.

Would anyone have any information on this unit?

I had the opportunity to speak with a lady who used to work at this Salvation Army location in Belmont Pennsylvania many years ago. She remembers this car very well.

The Delmont Salvation Army purchased this car for a dollar from a gentleman who used to work for the local ambulance service. The car was parked in the field for some time before they purchased it. Once it was purchased her son who just graduated from automotive body work school fixed it all up and they used it as their mobile canteen responding to fires and other community activities and disasters in the area.

She said that they outfitted the car with additional shelves and cabinets to store all their canteen equipment. They also had a stove that they would take out to cook meals and warm up water for coffee and hot chocolate.

She does not know where the car is now as it was surrendered to the head office when they were given a new vehicle to be used as a canteen. I also had the opportunity to speak to her son who is the fire chief and he will see if they have additional pictures of the car and we'll send them to me to add to my collection.

06 - 54XL - Delmont Salvation Army - 01.jpg06 - 54XL - Delmont Salvation Army - 02.png

Back