Something Different - Take a Look!

On first glance I loved it, then the Federal roof lines sunk in!

As an Eagle Ultimate Elite lover, my eye was caught by the chrome crown and the painted roof. The first pictures I saw were small, and I didn't notice that same old Federal roof line. I do like the interior, except the strange divider window.

Now that I look more carefully at the pictures Tony posted, that ugly roof line that Federal is famos for is really giving me trouble. I think Eagle has a much more graceful and beautiful roof line on their cars. That is why I love them so much.

I am anxious to find out what the price difference is between these cars and an Eagle Ultimate Elite. It was suggested to me that the difference might be as much as $25,000. If this is true, I might learn to get along with that roof line for $25,000! Maybe there would be a way of dressing it up a bit, or distracting your eye away from the "boxieness" with a little chrome strip or something.

Paul Saether

Nope, sorry, dosen't do anything for me. They should have continued the fender top trim going around the back door. It makes the rear door area look unfinished. And that interior! Dosen't look like anything that would be used here in the U.S. in my opinion. Looks like a overseas job to me.

Got my hands on the Federal yesterday!

Yesterday the Baines dealership in the Chicago area held an open house with many spectacular cars on display, a lunch (hearse shaped sugar cookies!) and a few speakers. 2 or 3 Echelons, an Eagle Premier with the large rectangular rear side window, an oval-window Ultimate Elite with electric extend table and carpet floor, an Eagle Coupe De Fleur, and one or two others.

It was a very nice showing. This Federal was on site, so I got to touch and feel it! It still looks boxy to me compared to the Eagles. Besides the "boxieness" the outside looks very nice. I personally still like everything except the divider window treatment. That mirrored panel in the upper part of the divider window is just that, a mirrored panel. I thought it just might have some function, but nope.

My greatest disapointment was the price. As I said before, I had thought the price would be substantially less than a comperablly priced Eagle, but I was sorry to learn that you might save only a couple thousand when comparing identically equipped cars.

I have had such outstanding luck with my Eagles (two 2000 models, a 2004 and a 2005) and such great customer support directly from Eagle (despite my buying 3 of them used) that I would not venture away from Eagle for $2,000 if I were purchasing such an expensive car. My 2000 Eagles still stand up proud, in fantastic condition. One has 65,000 miles and the other 35,000 miles, so neither of them are very high mileage, but the 65,000 mile car is mid-life and it still looks almost like new. I also think you would get some, if not all of that $2,000 back at trade in time.

Paul Saether

Back