Rear Shock Suggestions

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
The 54XL will be coming home within a month. Part of the items on the list is the replacement of the rear air shocks.

What do you recommend I should purchase for a good quality Air Shock Absorber for the car?

I would buy the Delco air shocks. I don't think that there is much difference between brands, and most likely there is only 1 manufacturer of the shocks, and they just paint them different colors and package them in different printed cardboard boxes.

Now of course the question comes up are yours working?. If they are a 4 buck can of spray paint will clean them up nicly.

Ed, they worked and held air, gradually bleeding out over weeks I found. The rear end rose I would say 2-3 inches.

When the car gets back I'll inspect the lines for obvious leaks and overall condition.

If they look to be more or less original it may not hurt to get new ones regardless.

So many things on the to-do list!!

Could be one line leaking or simple a bad tire valve in the inlet. They have two joints on eack line and the valve stem. A little dish soap and water would tell.
My friend's new 54XL with air shock leak issues. The previous owner said it bleed out the air in 2 days, sometimes in 5 days. We'll take a closer look this weekend installed the suspension, rack, and jeep accessories on the Wrangler, and clear the garage.

Ed, they worked and held air, gradually bleeding out over weeks I found. The rear end rose I would say 2-3 inches.
Mine does the same thing. I've replaced them, double checked lines for leaking, but still lowers after about two weeks. My air shocks have the stud on top as well as on the bottom. I would love a larger shock but none with this configuration. Works for now and someday look at replacing the leaf springs which seem to be just worn out.

Back