Rear bumper for 1972 Cadillac superior

Did you tell him the bumper was made up of sections, and you only wanted to repair the damaged section? If they only saw the picture of the bumper on the car, and you didn't point out that the bumper blade is about 36"' long, that would have caused them to over estimate the repair and replating. I know that the last time that I had the 3 piece bumper for my 1962 Chevrolet done, repair and plating for that bumper end was $300, and it is about 33" wide. Measure the blade itself, and give them that information and ask them it that will effect the price that you were given. I have always found that they were very competitive. Possibly Dan can take a picture of a blade so they can actually see the individual part, or you could use the picture of the bumper parts lying on the floor that he provided you.
Paul
Yes, I told and showed him the pics. The center piece that holds the license plate (curly part) is damaged, the RH blade is damaged, and the tail light is damaged. He told me the tail light alone would be $300-400. Apparently what they do (which I didn't know) is press the bumper straight, beat it with a BFH, then grind the high spots down. He said that he hasn't done one in a while, but that he is familiar with it. He told me to ask you guys if anyone had the pieces laying around for sale, hahah.

If you have collision insurance on the car, I believe that it would be worthwhile to put in a claim, because you have sufficient damage that will need to be repaired. If you have any of the antique automobile insurance companies, they don't charge you with claims like your daily driver insurance does.

If you can buy a straight right blade(from CA, NM, or AZ) and a straight center piece.... that would be the way to go. Don't mess with trying to straighten that center piece... even if you are going to re-plate it. They are very common and readily available. You should be able to get a nice center piece for $25.

If you can buy a straight right blade(from CA, NM, or AZ) and a straight center piece.... that would be the way to go. Don't mess with trying to straighten that center piece... even if you are going to re-plate it. They are very common and readily available. You should be able to get a nice center piece for $25.
Kurt,

Do you have any idea who I'd contact to buy these pieces?

If you have collision insurance on the car, I believe that it would be worthwhile to put in a claim, because you have sufficient damage that will need to be repaired. If you have any of the antique automobile insurance companies, they don't charge you with claims like your daily driver insurance does.
In TN, you are only required to carry liability. I have 3 other antique cars, so I just have liability for all of them on the assumption that I am not a moron, which apparently I am.

If you were insured with Hagerty Antique Insurance, they only charge you for one liability on all cars on the policy, whether it is 1 or 101. Each car is insured individually for comprehensive, collision, & fire at a value that you establish.

If you were insured with Hagerty Antique Insurance, they only charge you for one liability on all cars on the policy, whether it is 1 or 101. Each car is insured individually for comprehensive, collision, & fire at a value that you establish.
Hmm, maybe I’m using the wrong word. I have the type of insurance that only protects other drivers. If I crash my car, I have to pay for it.

Most times, you will have to buy the entire assembly, because sellers don't want to sell partial parts of an assembly, unless the section that you don't want is damaged.

Ya I am definitely aware of the whole bumper thing. I had a guy quote me $850 for the whole bumper.

I don't think I need the license plate light holders; I suppose I should disassemble it and check it out. Spent a couple hours pulling the engine on my 64 f100 today; maybe I can pull the bumper tomorrow. I know the RH part with the reverse lights in it is bent, as is the chrome center. Honestly, the tail light has been like that since I got the car, so I don't really care that much about it.

Damn, thanks Daniel. I don't do social media, so I'll have to get my wife on there.

Not sure the blades will work though; supposedly bumpers for the 71-73 are the only ones that'll fit.

Last edited:
The blades are all the same, except for the back up light. As rare as these bumpers are, you are lucky to find one as good as this, and as inexpensive as this one. If I needed one, I would be on this asap.

Back