Rear bumper for 1972 Cadillac superior

That bumper is very repairable. I would take it to Tri City Plating in Elizabethton Tenn. and have them repair and replate the bumper. It will cost you a lot less than buying a new bumper, and having it shipped from who knows where. They are less than 2 hours (115 Miles) from you. I have had many bumpers repaired and replated by them over the years. I give them the bumpers at Carlisle PA at the fall swap meet show in Carlisle and and they return them to me at the spring show. They are very accomodating and reasonably priced, although chroming has gone up in price over the past few years.

If not rusty, you will definitely want to repair that right bumper bar! Now, I would NOT repair the center piece, as those are easily findable and cheaper to replace than repair. Those never rusted out. Just scrap that center section behind the license plate.

There is only one problem when you repair only one part of a bumper. It looks much better than the other pieces of the bumper. Eventually they might all blend together. If it were mine, I would have them do all the parts of the bumper if your wallet can handle it.

That bumper is very repairable. I would take it to Tri City Plating in Elizabethton Tenn. and have them repair and replate the bumper. It will cost you a lot less than buying a new bumper, and having it shipped from who knows where. They are less than 2 hours (115 Miles) from you. I have had many bumpers repaired and replated by them over the years. I give them the bumpers at Carlisle PA at the fall swap meet show in Carlisle and and they return them to me at the spring show. They are very accomodating and reasonably priced, although chroming has gone up in price over the past few years.
Paul, thanks. I have spoken with a guy at Superior who made this bumper, who redirected me to some guy in Ohio. That guy assured me that replating the bumper after repair would be astronomical in price. I will call Tri City Plating to check, but I am worried that it will be cost prohibitive, which is why I'd rather replace than repair.

If not rusty, you will definitely want to repair that right bumper bar! Now, I would NOT repair the center piece, as those are easily findable and cheaper to replace than repair. Those never rusted out. Just scrap that center section behind the license plate.
Thanks. Nothing on the car is rusty; it's a TN car. I actually considered repairing the bumper and taillight section myself, but am worried that my admittedly amateur repair skills might worsen its condition. I am a master tech, but not a body man.

Guys,

Thanks for your responses. I have been referred here by a guy out of Ohio, can't remember his name, he told me to ask if anyone had the bumper section laying around. I really want to get my hearse painted in the spring, and was devastated at destroying the rear of it. I am confident that I can handle the repair of the door and interior, but not the bumper. I can replace bumpers all day long, however.

Tri Cities Plating quoted me $1200. Holy smokes. I traded a $900 motorcycle for my hearse.
Did you tell him the bumper was made up of sections, and you only wanted to repair the damaged section? If they only saw the picture of the bumper on the car, and you didn't point out that the bumper blade is about 36"' long, that would have caused them to over estimate the repair and replating. I know that the last time that I had the 3 piece bumper for my 1962 Chevrolet done, repair and plating for that bumper end was $300, and it is about 33" wide. Measure the blade itself, and give them that information and ask them it that will effect the price that you were given. I have always found that they were very competitive. Possibly Dan can take a picture of a blade so they can actually see the individual part, or you could use the picture of the bumper parts lying on the floor that he provided you.
Paul

Back