Re-doing Vinyl on rear loading door

NJ Dorsey

I'm putting it on my list this year to re-do the vinyl on the rear door of the Masterpiece. The grain does not match the rest of the white elk top and it's now discolored with mildew and has shrunk to where I had to use vinyl calk to seal out water from the the inner edge where it meets the glass. So all in all, it's time...

Question is; should I pay a shop to do this or is it a small enough piece/project that I can do it myself? I've never taken one of these apart but it seems there is a fiberglass shell that attaches (how?) to the door that the vinyl is stretched around. I do not know how they did the seal between the vinyl and glass. Could use some advice....thanks!

I may end up practicing on my Fed Heritage that needs it too...

It would seam that some one has put a new top on the car and decided not to do the door. There should be nothing with that coveting that would let water in the car. The glass is just the standard glue in,same as everything in that line. The normal way they did then was a fiber glass form pop riveted onto the door. The material was glued to it and then tucked under around the edges. Simple enough to do I'm sure you could.

Definitely has had a top replacement, neither top or door vinyl is original. So I don't know why the mis-match. But it seems like the vinyl is formed like this: DSC09752.JPG
Is that a thing? Or am I crazy?

Some one at some time could have put any number of things on it. I have not looked hard on one of them but my guess would be that it would be tucked under the fiberglass form on both sides

Back