Needed - Superior 54XL wiring diagram.

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
Would anyone have the Superior Ambulance electrical wiring diagram for a 75 or 76 54XL?

Or even maybe a regular high roof 75 or 76 Superior ambulance?

I need a little help tracing some wires....16251923949566649287988678450604.jpg16251924176734834364359814021182.jpg

This is for a 74 high-top , should be the same? Save the image and print or open up in another widow , you can enlarge it to make it easy to read.

Screenshot (7).pngScreenshot (8).pngScreenshot (7).pngScreenshot (8).png

Last edited:
I remember that switch board. Yikes!! It all worked, so I left well alone.
There are 4 wires behind the switch panel in the patient area that are not connected to anything and a few of the wires that go to the 2 switch panels that have been spliced and rerouted. I want to see if I can clean it up a little.

I would also like to tidy up the main panel if I can, this will make troubleshooting easier when something stops working but I don't want to dive in there until I have a roadmap.

First, thank you to Daniel Scully for the diagram and color code chart.
Even though I got everything to work in my 1976, I still printed out a copy and placed it in the book I keep in the ambulance.
The next time something stops working, that may save some time with the trouble light.

As far as wires which appear to be not connected, this is still common in ambulances built today. A standard harness is pulled in and customer selected options are connected. The wires for options not selected are still left in place.

When I restored the electricals in my 1976, I folded over and taped any "unused" wires "just in case".

When I restored the electricals in my 1976, I folded over and taped any "unused" wires "just in case".
I was able to trace back one of the white mystery wires from the switch panel. The other end was under the dash by the glove compartment. Looks like it was cut. Since it was close to an unused circuit breaker, I placed it back in service as the lead got the switch panel.

Back