need rear ndrums 62 Cadillac Hearse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aloha from Honolulu
Hoping you all can help (again).

My 62 Eureka Hearse is a daily driver for work and need the car in operation. Anyway I was driving and heard bad noise like brake shoe rives on the drukms. Took it into shop and they pulled the rear drums to find one is cracked in a circle going more than half way around near the hub!

These were new drums we installed three years ago. Dont remeber where I got them. Wonder why they would carck so soon.

Anyone know where I can get good used or better yet new drums?

I think its 1960 to 1965 commercial chassis only for the rears as I recall.
Thank you

I would check with NAPA or Carquest. I think that the drums are the same all the way up till 1979. It is a 3" x 12" drum and lining.

Drums

My 61 still has the original drums the Kelsey Hayes # on the drums ,front and rear drums has the same pt # which crosses to this Raybestos # 2104. What is needed to fit the drums to the rear taped hub I do not know but would be worth looking in to. Rock Auto has it for about half the price of anyone else.

Cross reference

Front and rear different

Both the front and rear use the same brake shoes however the drums are very different.

The front drums set up look like any other standard front old GM or Cadillac.

The rear drums have the "hub" I think its called pressed onto the drum by the lug (nut) studs.

To remove the rear drum you take off a BIG nut on the axel and user a puller tool to pull the drum off (with the hub and lugs studs attached).

I know this because we put new drums on the rear a few years ago and had to use a 20TON press at shop to press the studs (lug) into the hub to attach the drum. RIght now on the floor at the shop lays my rear drums with hub and lug studs attached. DId you mean the rear drums up to 1979 are all the same? Thanks

I am going by memory on the drums being the same for many years. I know that the information that was posted by Dan is correct, and he has given you the correct part number for your car.
The rear drum has a hub attached to it by the studs. You use a special tool to cut away the swaging and then the drum will fall off the hub. To reinstall the drum, you use new studs that are made specifically for this swaging process. The swaging holds the brake drum to the hub. If you were to see both the front and rear drums without the hubs attached, they are identical. If you didn't use the proper tool to first remove the swaging from the old studs, you very well might have damaged the rear hub assembly, and that is what has lead to your present problem. Once the swaging is removed, the drum will just about fall off the hub. You then press out the old studs and press in new studs, slide the drum over the studs, and then using a swaging tool, swage the new drum to the hub. Some people believe that it isn't necessary to swage the drum to the hub, and don't do it. This can lead to a brake drum face failure, since the only thing holding the drum to the hub is the studs, and there can be some "rocking" motion between the drum stud holes and the hub. Swaging adds a margin of safety to the assembly. If you can't get it done properly on the big island, then you might just have to send it to the mainland to have it done properly.
Are you still using the same mechanic that you used when you had all the other brake problems a few years ago?

Used Drums

Hi Paul,
Different shop now however it was the old shop a few years ago that changed the rear drums and did not do it he way you talked about. Next tme I will take brake drum to a shop that does only that. Thank you for information on correct procedure.

Im calling nall kinds of junk yards trying to find used rear drum. Junk yards are telling me 61 to 65 same rear drums. And they also tell me commercial chassis rear different. I went to NAPA Auto parts and 62 cadillac front and rear same and available however when put in for Series 75 they show only have front drums avalable.

Anyway for now wuld like a used drum with the hub on it ready to go.

Can any one suggest what wrecking yard might have a hearse or limo 61 to 65? Please!

Thank you

I doubt that you will find any rear drum that is any good on a 1961 - 1965 commercial chassis. Have the shop order one drum from NAPA and then compare it to what you have. I will bet that it is correct. Dan knows cars as well as I do, and in some instances better. I trust his experience better than I trust the book. The reason that they can't find it in the books is that the manufacturers dropped the number years ago. In the old days, the drum was available with the hub attached over the parts counter. The shops that installed drums on hubs, only stocked the raw parts and did the install in shop, because the drum itself fit many different cars and they could carry less inventory for a broader range of cars. Finding the swagging studs might be more of a problem than finding the drum. Buying a used drum might not be any better than what you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back