my turn

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I have discovered that in doing the engine swap on this 70 they unhooked the alternator and failed to hook it back up. got 3 colored wires coming from the regulator to it. but no Idea what goes were. anyone have a Motorola hight amp in there car and can relay the colores from the reg to the post to me clockwise.

Attachments

• IMG_4930.JPG
    IMG_4930.JPG
    547.1 KB · Views: 8
It makes no sense that it would have a Motorola alternator on it, when a GM alternator is what it came out of the factory with. It might be better to convert it back to the GM alternator because parts are readily available.

It is most likely ex military. Sam set up as my 72 high top had. Shop made brackets and all. To swap it one would need a number of pieces not here. We have located a schematic for it so can at least get the wires on correctly.

For some reason, quite possibly a hyperactive salesman, there were a glut of emergency vehicles with Motorola alternators in the early 70s. From recall the Rochester Fire Department had a group of AMC Chief station wagons with them. USPS was a bigger user on RH drive Postal Jeeps. Motorola sold a boatload of them.

Only advantage to Motorola alternators was they were smaller than Delco and weighed less making it more convenient for mechanics to change them, which was done frequently. On vehicle life was less than half of Delco.

It is most likely ex military. Sam set up as my 72 high top had. Shop made brackets and all. To swap it one would need a number of pieces not here. We have located a schematic for it so can at least get the wires on correctly.
It was original to car. If I had known you were looking - would have sent the diagram.

C/B had Motorola as their high amp alternator option - as you may recall the Oldsmobile 98 “Super Chassis” was not a true commercial package.

It makes no sense that it would have a Motorola alternator on it, when a GM alternator is what it came out of the factory with. It might be better to convert it back to the GM alternator because parts are readily available.
The Motorola 120-amp was the only alternator upgrade available from C-B for that car.

Back