Laminate for my 54XL

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
It looks like I may have no choice but to place a special order to get the laminate I need to replace the interior of my 54XL. The issue is that the laminate manufacturers still print White Ash laminate, but I have not found one yet that prints it in gloss finish. I can get matt finish no problem, but not gloss. I guess gloss finish for kitchens are passé.

Formica, which is the actual manufacturer Superior used for the laminate has a minimum order of 8 sheets, which is probably about double of what I need. I will reach out to the other manufacturers such as Wilsonart, Arborite or any other I can find to see what options I have. If anyone has any ideas, please drop me a line.

In the meantime I will measure exactly each components and compose exact drawings to calculate as accurately as possible the number of sheets I need based on the cutting pattern that will produce the least waist.

I am using Sketchup to draw each components. Once I am done I will be able to "blow-up" the components and overlap them on virtual sheets of laminate.

1672189055446.png1672189087116.png

You might want to try some local cabinet shops that might have some old inventory of laminate that they will sell. This is how I found the Colonial Classic linoleum that I needed for my 1969 Miller-Meteor ambulance. Found a local source that had about 2/3 of what I needed, and 2 other PCS members had scraps that were enough to complete the project.
Another place to look is laminate wholesalers that might have obsolete inventory. Ask the manufacturers if they have any wholesale accounts that might be able to help you. In fact, most manufacturers require you to buy products through a stocking warehouse.

You might want to try some local cabinet shops that might have some old inventory of laminate that they will sell. This is how I found the Colonial Classic linoleum that I needed for my 1969 Miller-Meteor ambulance. Found a local source that had about 2/3 of what I needed, and 2 other PCS members had scraps that were enough to complete the project.
Another place to look is laminate wholesalers that might have obsolete inventory. Ask the manufacturers if they have any wholesale accounts that might be able to help you. In fact, most manufacturers require you to buy products through a stocking warehouse.
I have called a number of places with no luck. All of the shops I spoke with do not have any of the gloss laminate and most suppliers do not sell to individuals. One of the cabinet shops however offered to order the material if I can find it and they and will sell it back to me at cost. They usually don't do this, but they thought that this was a cool project.

I still have a few leads to follow up on.

The detective work involved in the restoration of these cars is half of the fun isn't it!!!!

Half the fun if it's your car mostly frustration if it's someone elses. You do learn a lot sourcing for things. I need a shelf rest. But no one has one small enough. I did learn that they measure then from the pivit to the hing though.

1672453351080.png
1672453398764.png
321420846_506064351378542_6288443313974001512_n.jpg

322219316_1143137939735115_5939183480920291905_n.jpg

We are just about there on this 70. Been re glueing things and stacking them in the corner as i go along. So when the flooring goes down we can paint the back sides and get the cabinet in place. With one of these each time you fix something it makes other things look bad.

Looks like there may be light at the end of the Formica laminate tunnel. I spoke with a very helpful Formica Rep (Thanks Tim for the contact). She scanned their database and their distributor's database, but there are no sheets of Gloss White Ash laminate in stock in Canada or the US.

Any orders for Gloss White Ash laminate will have to be special orders. As we know, there is an 8-sheet minimum order for 8 x 4 sheets, but she informed me that there is a 1-sheet minimum order for the larger 5 x 12 sheets.

Things are looking-up!

I have decided to go back to plan #1 which was to make templates out of paper and mock-up how they would fit on sheets of laminate. Looks like I will need 2 sheets of 5 x 12 laminate to get the job done.

The first 2 pictures are the mock-up for the first sheet, and the third picture is what still needs to be mocked-up.Laminate Template 02.jpgLaminate Template 03.jpg

Laminate Template 01.jpg

Back