Incubator Cot Project

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
While I am waiting to get the 54XL back from the radiator shop I took the time to work on the cot for my Ohio Transport Incubator. After doing much research on the internet the choice for a donor cot came between a FW Model 30 or a FW Model 54 (I think). Since I already had a spare M 30, that is what I used as a donor.

I am quite happy with the progress so far. Still need a little work , but overall the work on the cot is done.

JM's Incubator Cot 01.jpg

Now I need to build the fasteners that will hold the incubator to the cot. Would anyone have any suggestions on what I could use for this? The fasteners used look like the Ferno aluminum sliders for the cot bar, but they do not work for this application.

size (1).jpg

Any suggestions or better pictures of the fastening system will be appreciated.

Terrific work J-M. For those that served in the 70's, neonatal transport was an essential for these young souls. Great you are preserving this piece of history.
I tried to find a picture of the Calgary neonatal transport car, but no luck. It would have logged a lot of miles.

Looks like I'm going to have to go with Plan B which is make my own, so I picked up a pice of aluminum flat bar. Will see if I can turn this bar into a reasonable facsimile of the original brackets.
20230613_114706.jpg20230613_114706.jpg

I purchased a keyhole router bit yesterday to make the 90° slit in the channel for where the base of the incubator bracket will sit, well, that didn't quite work out as I planned.20230617_094309.jpg20230617_094322.jpg

My guess is that by using the router table it puts too much pressure on the bit and that's what broke it. When doing it freehand I can feel how much pressure is applying the bit better. I guess we're going back to the hardware store...

Little bit more work on this project this evening. I had to save about 1/8 of an inch off the top of the bar so that the incubator parts would touch the bottom of the channel. Then with my new router bit I was able to carefully cut the groove in the bottom, unfortunately this is how deep the groove gets.

With anyone have any idea how I could get that groove to go deeper so that it mates probably with the incubator parts?20230617_223305.jpg20230617_223150.jpg

Need the next size bigger router. Some times you get to do it in steps.
I went to all of the stores that I can think of that carry these and this id the biggest I can find. Next option if I cannot think of anything else is to go online to find a bigger key hole router or similar cutting tool.

Back