How reliable are modern ambulances?

Robert Shepard

Website Administrator / Past President - Golden St
Super Site Supporter
I have attached the following article regarding ambulance breakdowns in Atlanta, and wonder if their reliability issues are common elsewhere in our country.

Whistleblower: Ambulance Breakdowns Happen Often
Wendy Saltzman, CBS Atlanta Investigates
POSTED: 5:11 pm EST November 12, 2009
UPDATED: 5:28 pm EST November 20, 2009

ATLANTA -- Imagine your life is in danger and you call 911 for help. But what happens next may be one of the most terrifying experiences of your life: The ambulance that is supposed to rescue you breaks down, unable to take you or your loved one to the hospital.

CBS Atlanta Chief Investigative Reporter Wendy Saltzman uncovered a rash of ambulance breakdowns that may be putting people's lives in jeopardy.
And Saltzman said the most disturbing part of this investigation -- that this has happened often. A whistleblower stepped forward with a warning that ambulances are breaking down with patients practically on a daily basis.
That's what happened in the case of Courtney McClellan.
"She was going into convulsions," her husband Tony Murphy told us.
In 2008, Murphy dialed 911. Courtney had fallen into an insulin coma that left her unconscious.
"I will usually just fall to the floor and go into convulsions," McClellan said. "Once, I even turned blue and stopped breathing."
What happened next stunned Murphy, and it is more common than many of us may have imagined. The ambulance that was to take Courtney to the hospital broke down, delayed on the way to a life-threatening call because it wouldn't go over 20 mph.
"It is pretty frightening thinking about the possibilities of what might have happened," Murphy said.
Our 9-month investigation uncovered that Grady Hospital, the area’s largest trauma center, has had dozens of ambulances in critical condition -- ambulances that were dying in the middle of emergency runs.
Internal reports obtained by CBS Atlanta News showed EMS Units breaking down on the scene of emergencies on a regular basis. The vehicles were unable to get patients to the hospital because of problems like no steering, being unable to turn, brakes going out, vehicles shutting off in drive, others smoking and/or losing sirens and power.
In one case, the reports indicated, a driver had to hold his door shut as he tried to drive to the scene of an emergency.
"That's not uncommon?" CBS Atlanta's Wendy Saltzman asked whistleblower Eugene Davenport.
"No, no. We are having mission failures pretty much daily, every other day," he warned.
Davenport is a former fleet manager for Grady EMS. He said he found himself on the unemployment line after he questioned his boss about a critical mission failure.
"I think the final straw was when I questioned him about a unit that broke down and the patient died," Davenport said.
Davenport worked at Grady for 25 years, and he says he was only written up one in his tenure, just weeks before he was fired.
"It was a code one patient, which is a cardiac arrest, and it took them a delay of 30 minutes to get to the hospital," he said.
And that's not Davenport's only concern. Each of the broken down ambulances he saw daily, he said, had the potential of being a life lost.
"I said, 'I cannot be a part of this. Somebody's got to find this out,'" Davenport said.
Davenport learned about our investigation from the inside. He said he was told not to turn over records to us by his boss, Grady EMS Director Bill Compton.
“He also told me if I let any information get out of our department I would be terminated," Davenport said.
When we asked Compton if Davenport was fired after questioning the delay that resulted in the death of that cardiac arrest patient, Compton responded, "I don't have any documentation that I have any such recollection of that every occurring."
Compton defends Grady's fleet as "dependable" and says they have nothing to hide.
"We do not feel that we are putting our patients at risk. Nor have we had any documented cases of patient negative outcome," Compton said.
Compton estimates the number of breakdowns is 12 a month and not every day. And he said that's minor in comparison to the 8,000 calls they take every month.
So we asked him about the life-threatening cardiac arrest.
"I don't have that case in front of me. Nor do I, I don't know what case you are referring to," Compton replied. "All I can tell you emphatically that whenever that case was, that there were no negative patient outcomes as a result of a mission failure. We don't really think we have significant delays."
But contrary to Compton's claims that there has been no impact or delay on patients, CBS Atlanta News has uncovered an e-mail, which confirmed that the unit that broke down in the cardiac arrest case took 26 minutes to get to the call. That email also said it was the second breakdown in ten days.
"Do those units need to be pulled off the streets?" Saltzman asked Compton.
"No, we are comfortable with those units," he answered.
We received another e-mail from an insider from a few days before in October. It says another unit died while transporting another critical patient to the hospital. That patient was also in severe respiratory distress.
"Do you think these ambulance breakdowns are putting people's lives at risk?" Saltzman asked Eugene Davenport.
"Yes. Yes," he responded.
Grady had 3 of their 43 ambulances down when we did that interview on Monday. In 2008, Grady EMS lost nearly $7 million in funding. And in 2009, they cut $1 million from the maintenance for their fleet.
Their response times to emergency calls increased to 12 minutes a call in June of last year. Previously, their average response target was 8 minutes.
And now we have uncovered new details as more whistleblowers are stepping forward to share their concerns about the critical condition of Grady's emergency response system.
Sandy Harvill was the Chief Communications Officer for Grady's 911 center.
"There is going to be the patient that is going to die. Somebody is going to need an ambulance, and they are not going to get it, and they are going to die," she told Saltzman.
That warning comes from someone who was on the inside. Harvill saw ambulance breakdowns and critical patient delays from the front line.
"The trucks are in terrible shape. Some are so old that when you are in the back of the truck there are no many exhaust fumes coming in that by the time the end of the shift comes the paramedics would be just about sick having headaches because of it," Harvill continued.
And now we have learned those breakdowns created another frightening fallout. According to Harvill and Eugene Davenport, Grady would run out of ambulances to respond to emergency calls--otherwise known as a Level Zero-- on a daily basis. Our whistleblowers said someone would call with a life threatening emergency, and there would be no ambulances available to respond.
"I hear some calls hold up to 5, 10, 15 minutes at the most," Davenport said.
And in spite of the delays documented by these whistleblowers and in these records obtained by CBS Atlanta News, Grady EMS Director Bill Compton at first downplayed the problem, and said Level Zero is, "not a regular occurrence."
But when questioned further by Saltzman he admitted up to the facts, saying, "You could go on a daily basis."
Yet Compton still defends his emergency response system, even where there are no ambulance to respond to emergency calls.
"In any event that you do not have an immediate ambulance we have a very reliable mutual aid we practice with all of the other providers that we use on a regular basis," Compton told CBS Atlanta News.
But Harvill warns that result is major patient delays.
"The problem was that those backup services were as busy as we were at those times of the day," she said. "If something isn't done very quickly, that patient's going to be dead."
And Harvill provided CBS Atlanta News with records that prove Level Zero's sometimes last for hours at a time.
"Sometimes from 10 or 11 in the morning till 6 or 7 at night," according to Harvill.
She says she resigned because she questions Compton's ethics, and says he covered up the problem instead of fixing it.
"I think some of the things he had done are immoral and unethical at best, and possibly illegal at worst," Harvill cautioned.
In fact, CBS Atlanta News has uncovered a shocking email in which Grady CEO Michael Young offers his solution to Grady's problem of transporting patients.
In it he says, "Why not give them a $20 cab ticket and get out of the business."
We've requested an interview with Mr. Young and all of the Grady Board Members, but they're being shielded from us by their PR Staff.
There is much more to this story and were still breaking new details. If you have a have a story to tell, please email me at wendy.saltzman@cbsatlanta.com.

Ford Ambulances - 6.0 Litre Diesel Engines

The answer is, it depends. WE operate a fleet of 35 ambulances and 14 support vehicles. Historically we had operated Ford Type III ambulances equipped with the 6.9 litre diesel engines. They were bullet proof and would run forever. In 2004 Ford introduced the 6.0 litre engine to meet new EPA requirements and the problems began. We had purchased 12 2005 & 2006Ford Type III ambulances and two 2005 Ford Excursions with the 6.0 engine. The problems began shortly thereafter at about 30,000 miles with engine failures amongst other problems including turbo, higher pressure oil pumps & EGR failures. Ford introduced an extended warranty that gave an extra 24 months (60 months) and or 80,000 miles (180,000 miles)additional warranty at a price of almost $4,000/vehicle Canadian, which we purchased. I was criticized at the time because of the cost but it has paid for itself several times over. Every one of the 14 vehicles with the exception of 2 has had at least one engine failure. Some have had 5 engines in 150,000 miles. A recent example was a truck that had 150,000 miles and was on its second engine, which failed and was totally replaced under warranty. 1800 miles later the new engine threw a rod as the vehicle pulled into a hospital. It was returned to the dealer and another new engine installed. The new engine started once and never ran again. Another engine was installed (#5). Our vehicles are not abused and we monitor speed live with an AVL/GPS system. In 2006 we started to buy Chev Dura Max powered Type III's. WE currently have 11 2010 units on order for December & March delivery, which will bring the number of Ford ambulances left in the fleet to 3. The oldest Chev's have over 100,000 miles on them now with no engine failures. Was our experience an abnormality. Well Ford has sued Navistar, the manufacturer of the 6.0 and Navistar countersued for non payment. In the US the ambulance industry filed a class action suit against Ford which the industry won, but details of the settlement are sketchy. Ford is not offering diesel engines in the 2010 E model, only V10 gas. For 2012 there will no longer be a Ford E series van. In 2008 Ford replaced the 6.0 with the 6.4 (another Navistar engine) which they currently offer in the F series trucks. It has not been uncommon to go into the dealership and see a new pickup just delivered on the hoist undergoing an engine replacement. For 2011 Ford is introducing a new 6.7 litre diesel which Ford designed and is manufacturing in house. The industry has been leaving Ford in droves, the latest post I saw today was that FDNY EMS (City of New York) are moving from Ford Type I's to a different chassis, rumored to be Dodge. FDNY was running diesel Ford Excursions but have just purchased 80 Chev Diesel pickups for their Batallion Chiefs and EMS Supervisors, which will replace the Excursions. And Ford was the only manufacturer who did not go to the public trough for a bail out. Figure that one out!

We too are having problems including engine failure with the Ford 6.0 Liter engines, both at my Fire Department job and at my paramedic job. At the Fire Dept. we have moved away from the Fords and recently purchased a Heavy Duty GMC 4500. It is quieter, roomier and an all around better truck.

4500 gmc

A great truck with a big following in both EMS & Fire but another casualty of the auto industry duldrums. Final truck came off the line in Lansing in I believe July.

Our county was dedicated Ford buyers, and I have also heard that the last 3 years or so they have had serious issues with the newer Fords... actually, some of the older ones had less down time.
The county bought one Dodge and three GMC's... the jury is still out on the Dodge but the GMC's seem to have very little down time...

Ford Diesels

Our local fire departments and private ambulance services are going the same direction from Ford-Navistar Diesels to DuraMax's. We are in the construction business here along with providing emergency (heavy equipment) wildfire suppression services to CAL FIRE and the USFS. Last week we had to spend over $5500.00 on a 2004 F-250 4X4 6.0 SuperDuty with 155,000 miles on it due to leaking head gaskets and some related PM work getting to and from R&R'ing the heads. As you stated the 7.3's and 6.9's before them were all nearly bulletproof.

Dodge Sprinter (Mercedes Benz) Vans

My wife has purchased 2 Dodge Sprinters for her commercial fleet; including a first generation with the 5 cylinder engine, and a second generation with the 6 cylinder. The maintenence costs for these vans is much lower than those associated with her Chevrolet and Ford vans (gas powered), or her Isuzu cab over engine box van (also gas powered).

Overseas MB based ambulances are the most common, and I'm starting to see them in use here as well. I know that one of our members who owns an ambulance service in the San Francisco Bay Area recently added a few MB units to his fleet and is very happy with their performance.

I wonder, based on the issues with the Ford based units, if the Sprinter will become the vehicle of choice for ambulance services in the USA?

Sprinters

While Sprinters may find favour in the private ambulance fleets to some degree, it is unlikely that the fire service will head in that direction. NFPA has formed a committee to write standards for ambulances and hope to convince the Feds to do away with the KKK spec in favour of the NFPA Standard. The NFPA standard is 3 to 5 years away but many in the EMS industry have great concern should it be adopted in place of KKK

Two different perspectives to add:

Since I come from a Towing background...Towers HATE the 6.0 diesel in their trucks. I've seen them say no way and going to gas engined v10's if Ford is a must...esp when considering the lower cost of gas. Dodge's...they're loving their Diesels great mileage in actual use and no default's I've seen posted.

From my City of Phoenix history... All equiptment purchases are made through Fleet Management. For far too long inmho vehicles that ended up in our use seem to come from one perons perspective which meant Ford....along with low bid price. We went through Mini-Buses with un-realistic specs then the Diesel phase then Gas CNG powered...Temps in the 110+ grounded over ten buses within 10 minutes one fine day. Blamed on faulty fuel pumps??? They're back to Gas power and will remain so I'm sure.

I'd like to see Ford get a run for their money with chasiss builders but I don't see it happening anytime soon. FWIW: All current City of Phoenix Ambulances are E 550's with whatever Body mfg meets spec with low bid.

Ford Ambulances

I have been in EMS since I was 16 Starting with The Caddies Then when Starline came out with their Mods. Wayne etc. Every Ford I have ever worked out of has had some type of Problem. Do you Guys remember Back in 1984-1985 when Ford Ambulances were catching on fire and leaking fuel
I had first hand experience with that. I was picking up a patient at the Henry Ford Main Hospital when someone asked is that your ambulance outside? They told us it was leaking fuel. We go out and look at the fuel door area and sure enough it was leaking. I opened the fuel door only To see the gas cap moving to open itself and fuel sprayed all over me.
Every Agency I have worked for or assisted has had nothing but heartaches with the Ford's. I am not Ford bashing, but they have had a few problems with vehicles over the years. ( Everybody has their favorite car maker)
I have had C 6 transmissions go out on vehicles that were just serviced or transmissions replaced. A large ambulance manufacturer had our agencies business for many years ( Our agency started with 5 ambulances and now has 110 ambulances) Our V.P. went to pick up our new type II van unit and he noticed that the van did not run straight etc. They put the van on the hoist and found a brand new drive shaft was bent. The President of the conversion company said too bad thats a Ford problem and the dealership is right down the road. Needless to say he flew to Orlando to pick up vehicles for many years.

Russ

most of the problems come right out of the mine is bigger then yours concept. how can you take a rig that is over loaded to start out with and expect it to last. bigger is not better it's just bigger for bragging rights at state convention. most ambulances are brought by committees with that mid set of I'm getting what I want. if they had a navistar under 100 grand you would only see them. now look at the fleet, imagine vans costing half as much getting twice the mileage and what that would do for your bottom line. I have never seen a medic happy with there rig. they always want a bigger one:rolleyes:

Back