Hood Latch Release Cable Replacement

Dave Richards

PCS Life Member
Has anyone had occasion to replace the hood latch release cable (and handle) assembly in an early-1970’s Cadillac professional car? The (I am assuming) original one in my 1973 M-M Cadillac Volunteer 48” Ambulance has become very frayed (virtually ‘hanging by a thread’) at the interior footwell/firewall end. And, I‘m thus afraid the pull handle stem may break free from the cable.

I did find this previous post on the Forums: https://professionalcarsociety.org/threads/hood-release-cable.12955/
… however, wondered if anyone here may have had any experience or advice they could share regarding (1.) where best to procure the requisite replace part(s) — OEM perhaps? — and (2.) whether someone with relatively little mechanical expertise (that would be me) should attempt the replacement?

Thanks!

Not a bad job if you get it changed before it brakes. Try rockauto.com for it rathen the the other venders. The hardest part is getting it stared threw the firewall.

Not a bad job if you get it changed before it brakes. Try rockauto.com for it rathen the the other venders. The hardest part is getting it stared threw the firewall.
Thank you, Ed. Perhaps a good idea to attach something (string, cord, etc.) to the existing cable to assist in guiding the new cable end through (the opening in the firewall or whatever) to where it ultimately needs to go (?)

The cable has to be pulled into the passenger compartment and it is best if you use a strong piece of string and tie it to the cable in the last 25% of its length. I use a waxed cord for jobs such as this since the string is specifically designed for pulling wires. I used to get it from a friend that worked for the telephone company. I have no idea where to source it today, but in a pinch, you could possibly find someone that does deep sea fishing and get a hunk of the line that they use. It should be strong enough for the intended purpose.

Back