Finished the '59 Cadillac S&S

Joe Puleo

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
I finished the '59 S&S Hightop in October and thought I would share some photos. The restoration took 2.5 years and we had to have some of the parts made, like the rocker moldings, sill plates, S&S wheel cover centers, squad bench and window decals. The original Armstrong linoleum floor is in great shape. 284A7678.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2335.jpg
    IMG_2335.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2338.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2340.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_5965.jpg
    IMG_5965.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1820.jpg
    IMG_1820.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1968.jpg
    IMG_1968.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 55
Thank you for the compliments! The OH meet is 530 miles from me, but I did have a custom trailer made for it so I will plan on attending. I didn't see any info or a registration form online. Maybe it's in the Profession Car publication?

Thank you for the compliments! The OH meet is 530 miles from me, but I did have a custom trailer made for it so I will plan on attending. I didn't see any info or a registration form online. Maybe it's in the Profession Car publication?

This next issue of The Professional Car will have more information about the meet in it. In the meantime, you can get some information here.... https://professionalcarsociety.org/forums/2021-pcs-international-meet-perrysville-ohio.91/ We will have updates on the forums as they become available. I suggest that you get your room reservation made as soon as you can, because the host hotel has a limited number of rooms available. There are also other motels in the immediate area.

Wow, what a complete stunning beauty she is! I noticed the cost was listed as $20,000 in the newspaper article regarding this new ambulance, which would have been the equivalent of $179,019.93 in 2021 dollars! I wonder what a fully loaded 1959 Eureka, Superior, or M&M would have cost back then. Thank you for restoring this gem, and for sharing her with us!

I would like to thank the members that helped answer questions I had during the restoration, and also big thanks to Attila for the lead on the parts car that had the molding I needed, and Dan Scully for selling me the correct Washington model 54 cot, and Peter Graves for supplying the parts for the squad bench and David Henry for the dimensions of the squad bench.

What a great-looking car!

That metal bracket on the driver's side is for a Reeves stretcher.

Did the car ever have hanging hardware for four-litter configuration? I don't see any now - but that was one of the big reasons you got such a big ambulance back then.

We look but the car did not have any holes in the original headliner, so it did not have brackets for hanging cots. Does anyone have a picture of the correct stretcher that hangs on the side brackets?

Strange - I wonder why it didn't have hanging hardware. Ed is referring to the stretchers for that.

The "side bracket" holds a Reeves. They still make them today in modern materials, but at the time they were canvas/leather/etc.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back