Federal 184

I've had for many years on the shelf a Federal 184 that I would now like to mid-roof mount on my Lifeliner. The skirt was modified to fit the contour of the roof from the vehicle it came off. It's not that noticeable but definitely not level. Anyway, there were no mounting brackets that came with it, and before I fabricate something I'm looking for some suggestions.

It will be noticeable once mounted. What vehicle did it come from, and in which position?

These didn't use mounting brackets; only a set of three nut and (long) bolt sets, as can often be found on eBay. A set of rubber grommets should be used at the roof line.

You do need to have a template so the beacon is properly facing when mounted. Mounting a beacon takes a lot of time, but it isn't that difficult. The time is in getting it properly located. I don't know if the stud spacing is the same as the Model 17 series sirens, but if it is, then Ed Renstrom has the template, and I am certain that he will share it with you. I use threaded 1/4" rod, flat and rubber washers, and a bunch of nuts to make my own studs. I usually make them longer than needed, and trim them to the proper height once the beacon is located on the roof. Just make sure that there is a zipper under where you want to mount it, and that you can get power to the beacon before you start the project. The beacon should be wired with 12 gauge stranded copper wire. When you are ready to start the project, let me know, and I can give you full instructions on how to do the job with minimal effort. The first one is always the most difficult, and the more you install, the easier it gets.

It will be noticeable once mounted. What vehicle did it come from, and in which position?

These didn't use mounting brackets; only a set of three nut and (long) bolt sets, as can often be found on eBay. A set of rubber grommets should be used at the roof line.
I plan on trimming the skirt to make it level. Fortunately, the most I'll have to trim is about 1/4 inch at the deepest point of the skirt.

One thing I don't see in this kit is the "scribing tool", and little "riser" pieces. If those are there, doing a mount job is your basic walk in the park.
A very nice person gave me one of these mounting kits many years ago, and they are among the missing somewhere in my garage. I hope to find them before I pass away, because whomever cleans up the mess in the garage will have no knowledge of many of the things that I have stored in it. Since that time, I have learned to tag items with a description of what they are. Wish that I had started doing that 35 years ago. That is when I built the garage, and filled up a dumpster with a whole lot of things from the old house garage that I thought I would never need again, like my armature growler, and my Ford and Chrysler master key sets.

OK. I had a couple of ways to mount the light, or any almost any light, with ONE hole. Years ago, I used a lamp screw stem that is open in the middle where, when mounted in/on a lamp, the stem is attached to the bulb holder and the wire is run thru the stem, down the inside of the lamp, and secured with nuts. I did that with another type of roof light I had on my car. There is a detachable plate that can be used (see picture attached) I'm guessing for most lights. You attach the plate to the light via the 3 bolts that would normally go thru the roof. The "stem" I mentioned is in the middle of the plate (in picture). The stem can be of various lengths based on the light base. Drill one hole, place the light on the roof with the stem extended thru the roof, secure the light via the stem with a nut, run the wire(s) thru the stem. Done. I hope this helps others wanting to mount lights.Detachable Plate for 174.jpg

Back