(Errors in English) I find this fascinating

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

Not really pro-car related, but since we're all communicating here by typing, in English, this list of common errors is pretty cool. I pride myself in having a pretty good command of the english language, and I am finding all kinds of stuff that I thought I understood, but didn't.

(For the record, I found the site by Googling who's/whose to refresh myself on their usage after a post of mine didn't look quite right.)

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/errors.html

Not really pro-car related, but since we're all communicating here by typing, in English, this list of common errors is pretty cool. I pride myself in having a pretty good command of the english language, and I am finding all kinds of stuff that I thought I understood, but didn't.

(For the record, I found the site by Googling who's/whose to refresh myself on their usage after a post of mine didn't look quite right.)

You were doing quite well, until you forgot to capitalize english the second time you used it. You should have spent more time with Jon and Denise... they would have taught you the proper Queen's English. I was thinking about that while I was in the garage this evening. My 5th grade teacher was from England, and taught us the proper way to speak and spell. I still find myself spelling words such as color with the u (colour) inserted. Good thing that I have www.ieSpell.com check spell checker installed on my computer. :thumbsup:

Yeah, uh, I swear I pushed the "shift" key, but it didn't take...

By the way, did you know that if you were zapped by electricity but are still alive to tell about it you were not electrocuted, you were merely shocked? I'm sure I've said a dozen times "That stupid thing electrocuted me!" Obviously, it didn't, since apparently to electrocute means to kill with electricity.

The English language is full of weird twists and turns in our words and their pronunciations... example would be
lead is a metal, however, it also has other pronunciations and meanings
i.e. lead.. means to lead as in leader... :D

...By the way, did you know that if you were zapped by electricity but are still alive to tell about it you were not electrocuted, you were merely shocked? I'm sure I've said a dozen times "That stupid thing electrocuted me!" Obviously, it didn't, since apparently to electrocute means to kill with electricity.
Yes, that is correct. And the same applies to "drowned". I was working with a paramedic partner who was talking to a friend she hadn't seen for a while, and she said, "Yeah, my husband drowned two weeks ago." WHAAA??? :eek: Well, turns out he was in the water (he was a fire department rescue scuba diver) and stopped breathing, but was quickly resuscitated and went home from the hospital that night. "Drowning" means dead. Her husband was a "near-drowning". You'd think a paramedic would know that..... :rolleyes:

Back