Asking for Your Prayers for Ruth Wick

Mike McDonald

PCS Member
Kevin O'Connell just called to let me know that Ruth Wick was stricken with a Pulmanary Adema while driving one of their police cars in the Ripon (CA) Code 3 Parade a couple of hours ago causing her lungs to fill with blood and crash the car with air bags deployed. They performed CPR at scene and rushed her to nearby Doctor's Hospital in Manteca (CA) and Robert Shepherd is there with Hewy. We talked to Hewy just now and her condition is currently unknown. THX-MM

Ruth and Hewy are old friends, and we have them in our thoughts prayers........ Paul & Sandy...

Wow! Definately not news that any of us want to hear.

My thoughts go out to both of them. I will keep her and Hewy in my thoughts around here for a long time to come.

Please keep us informed with any information that you get Mike. Thank you very much for posting this and letting us know about the situation. I am thankful that Hewy has someone to keep him company like Robert while he waits for news.

We will keep Ruth and Hewy in our prayers. I am sure that Hewy is going through Hell right now worrying about Ruth. It is just awful.

Clarification

As sometimes happens during an emergency; facts get mixed up. Both Mark Provost and I attended the emergency vehicle show where this incident took place. Mark and I were in our respective ambulances driving Code-3 in a motorcade sanctioned by the local police department. Ruth Wick was behind us in a undercover unit (Cown Vic), when, according to witneses, she suddenly veered off from the motocade at a 45 degee angle, crashed though two fences and impacted with a residential structure. The motocade was, at all times, driving at low speeds. It has yet to be determined if her car increased it speed after leaving the route. As she was behind our cars, we were unaware of the incident until we pulled into the show field and heard a call for Hewy over the pubic address system. This occured just after the rescue truck passed us in front of the entrance to the show field. Upon parking our cars, we were informed of the incident. Knowing that Kevin O"Connell would help, I called Paul to get his number, as I did not have it with me. Paul located Kevin, who called me right away. I explained the situation, and he called Mike McDonald. Mike was able to speak with Hewy and get an update. The confusion regarding my being with Hewy may have come from my being with him at the event.

Thanks Robert for some more of the details.

The shock of having this happen to someone who had given you a hug recently, and who you have come to know through attending events together, is very upsetting. I pray that she recovers and those prayers also go out for Hewy in his time of need.

I do know from talking with one of the rescue agencies who responded, that she did indeed receive CPR at the scene and during transport. Ruth was still being treated at the hospital when I last checked, and that is positive news.

As someone who has survived a pulmonary embolism, I can really sympathize with Ruth and her affliction. For those who don't know it, this is a very serious condition and causes death in a great many of these cases. I count myself very lucky to have come through it. I am still on blood thinners and will be forever to prevent a recurrence.
May you be as lucky as I was Ruth.
John Dorgan

Thank you to all who assisted

Thoughts and prayers from the Northlanders. Hewy and Ruth are former members of our group and, while I've never met Ruth in person, have met and visited with Hewy on a couple occasions.

I encourage any visitors to this forum to go back and re-read Robert Shepard's first post. Take note of how several PCS members quickly contacted each other in order to provide support to Hewy and Ruth. This is why I am so proud to be associated with this organization; we are truly family oriented and supportive in good times and bad.

We will contineu to keep Hewy, Ruth, and all who have been touched by this experience, in our thoughts and prayers.

Wow.. I am shocked and saddened to hear this.
Hewy and Ruth are among the nicest people on earth you could ever hope to meet. It's always a joy to be in their company, whether at a car show or at one of the many events they have hosted at their vast collection of pro-cars and fire trucks... Their smiling faces always stand out in a crowd.

I'll be praying for Ruth's speedy recovery and for Hewy's strength during this difficult time.

Speedy Recovery

I Have never met Hewy & Ruth But have seen Their Posts on the site. We are Wishing Ruth a Speedy recovery. It Seems like We have Known them for Years. Even if it is on the Site.
If Hewy or Ruth needs Anything We would be glad to help/assist

Russ & Barb Dalziel
Mid Michigan Chapter

I'm very shocked to hear of this news. I've always enjoyed visiting with Hewy and Ruth at meets. My thoughts and prayers are with the both of them at this time.

I too have never met Ruth, but I share in the positive thoughts for a full recovery. CHF with flash edema is indeed a serious medical problem although it pumonary symptoms can be reversed and treated. Let's hope that's what is happenning.

My prayers are with Ruth and Hewy.

Rick

Ruth wick

I don't have much of an update other than Ruth is still in the ICU being incubated at Doctor's Hospital in Manteca (1205. E. North St., Manteca, CA) and expected to be there at least another week. I understand The Ripon Police Officers Assoc is helping Hewy with a place to stay, a vehicle and other one on one support. THX to all of you for your kind words and prayers.... they ARE two of truly the best people in the world and a friend to anyone they have ever met! THX AGAIN! MM

Keep us posted....

Hewy and Ruth are great folks and I have always enjoyed Ruth's contagious smile! She and Hewy are in our prayers.

Doing Better

Ruth seems to be doing a little better. Hewy said yesterday that they are slowly weening her off the ventilator and he was able to feed her some jello. They were hoping to do an MRI today. Kevin Johnson is trailering up one of their other large sedans this weekend and bringing the wrecked CVPI back in anticipation that she will be able to come home soon. THANKS to all of you for your kind words, thoughts, prayers and cards that I know have helped. Also to Robert Shepherd, Kevin O'Connell and Joe Ortiz for helping me understand some of the medical terms I am totally unfamiliar with and Brother's Darryl and Scott Lindsay at the Ripon Police Dept (and POA) for their daily personal contact and arranging local transportation and housing needs for Hewy. MM

Back