Asking advice on a TSC calendar caption

Greetings all,

As most everyone knows, I've been putting together the TSC calendars for a long time now.
So long that 2022 will mark the 20th year for me to be at the helm of this project.

In all of those 20 years, I have never had a difficult time captioning the photos.
This year is different.
I have 2 photos that I'm struggling with the captions and I'd like some advice from the PCS masses.
This would all be everyone's opinions so that I can get a better idea of your thoughts.

As everyone knows, just in the past 6 months or so, we have lost 2 incredible influences in the PCS.
One photo I'm using was taken by one of those gentlemen and a second photo is of a coach owned by the other gentleman.

When giving copyright information, would it be better to use "photo by the late Tom..." or better just to omit "the late" and use the standard "photo by Tom McPherson"?
The second one is a bit more difficult in my opinion. We lost Tony unexpectedly back in November. I have 3 or 4 different "owned by" lines in my head and I truly don't know which one is better or proper. Owned by... "Tony and Kim", "Kim and the late Tony", "the late Tony", or maybe just "Tony Karsnia". I never knew Kim well enough that I feel that I can just message her out of the blue with a question like this so I'm coming to the masses.

I respected both of these gentlemen greatly and I want to include them both in the next calendar in some way if I can but I also want to do it in the most respectful way possible. Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to print these? This is a tough one for me.

Thanks all,
Chuck

PS: Teaser photo included for attention.

Attachments

• 2022 all 12 prep.jpg
    2022 all 12 prep.jpg
    600.5 KB · Views: 6
Speak to the wives of the past members, and ask for written permission to use the photographs. Then post under the picture, "used with permission of the estate of XXXXX. This is the only legal and proper way to use photographs that you don't own the rights to. If I were to send you a picture, it should be accompanied with a release to use. In todays litigious society, you have to cover your tail.

As Tony and Kim owned everything jointly one could just use her name. As for tom if he took the photo then giving him credit for taking it.

Thanks for the replies everyone but I think some might have been confused by my original question.

I am not concerned with the legal rights of using the pictures. That part is taken care of. I've been doing this long enough that I am very familiar with copyright regulations. I always given credit where it is due and I always denote pictures that have been sent to me.

My main thought when asking was that I was hoping that some of the more professional photographers might see this and give insight as to how to respectfully credit deceased photographers and how to respectfully credit deceased owners. Some of our members have had thousands of photos credited to them and to others. Gregg Merksamer has done some extensive writing for the automotive world, I thought maybe he or Steve Loftin, or Steve Lichtman, or anyone else that might have had to credit the deceased in the past might have some advice.

The photo of the Karsnia's coach was taken by me. There isn't a legal problem with using it, it's my photo. I was just trying to think of the best and most respectful way to credit ownership as I always have a double line under the picture, the top line being the coach's name and the second line "owned by: ...". I have never had to credit an owner that has passed before. Is it more respectful to just denote "Owned by: Kim and Tony Karsnia", or should it be denoted something like "Owned by: Kim and the late Tony Karsnia"?

The photo that Tom took, Tom himself e-mailed it to me along with several other pictures specifically for calendar use. He sent me the photos and then followed up with a second e-mail with all of the specifics on each coach. In the e-mails he states specifically that he is sending them to me for calendar consideration and use. I have used several of Tom's photos in the past and I always credit Tom with the ownership of the photos. But similar to the Karsnia's coach, I have never had to credit a deceased photographer. What is the more respectful and correct way to list credit? "Photo Copyright Tom McPherson" or something more like "Photo Copyright the late Tom McPherson"?

i would go with "photo by Tom McPherson" and "owned by Kim and Tony Karsnia"
Thanks Rick.
I like that.
Simple and to the point.

The more I think about it and after actually seeing it written out in my original question above, I think you are right. I think I'm going to keep it simple and not over think it. I've just never had to credit a deceased photographer and/or owner. My mind went into overdrive and I was trying to think of all the alternative ways to write it and also the most respectful.

Back