AN ENTREATY TO ALL PROFESSIONAL CAR SOCIETY MEMBERS IN GREAT BRITAIN

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
FROM: Gregg D. Merksamer, PCS Publicity Chair & Event Photographer, merks62@warwick.net

GREETINGS TO YOU ALL FROM WARWICK, NEW YORK, U.S.A!

I am currently working on a feature story for THE PROFESSIONAL CAR's next issue about the specially-equipped Jaguar XJ State Hearse built for Queen Elizabeth II's funeral by the Manchester area coachbuilder Wilcox Limousines.

As corporate archives like Getty Images charge hundreds of dollars per photo for publication rights I am fervently hoping that you or someone - anyone! - in your circle of friends or professional colleagues took a good "amateur" unobstructed still photo of this car when it brought the Queen's coffin to Buckingham Palace on the evening of September 13th or took it from London to Windsor the next day.

Close-ups focused on the Queen's coffin as opposed to the entire car are not really needed for the purposes of this article, but high-angle shots highlighting the car's glass roof are extra-desirable.

If any of you reside in Scotland or know anyone that does: I'm also extremely interested in high-res photos of the Binz-bodied Mercedes hearse that took the Queen's coffin from Balmoral to Edinburgh and handled the Royal Mile processions. The same goes for photos of the Royal Mews' Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Jaguar state limousines taken during the Edinburgh, London, and Windsor portions of her funeral (especially the NGN1 and NGN2-registered Jaguar XJ "Semi-State" Limousines as I was previously unaware of their existence).

While images taken with a proper SLR camera would be Godsends, JPEG format digital photos taken with a camera phone are suitable for my needs so long as they were taken at a high resolution suitable for printing in THE PROFESSIONAL CAR as opposed to web-sized images that will pixelate (computer users can determine a photo file's size by right-clicking on the image and scrolling down to "properties" - in general, we'll need files of at least a megabyte in size or those measuring at least 1,000 pixels horizontally). It is accordingly crucial that such photos are transmitted at their ORIGINAL FILE SIZE by deactivating the default feature found in many e-mail programs that digitally "reduces" photo files for faster transmission.

It's a given that anyone in Great Britain who can assist me in this inquiry will receive a grateful photo credit in my story. - Appreciatively, GREGG D. MERKSAMER, Publicity & Media Relations Chair, www.TheProfessionalCarSociety.org

Back