Advice needed

Bill Leverett

PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervis
My Pontiac had enclosed rear leaf springs. The metal surround was badly deteriorated so I cut the metal covering off. I'm now left with the leaf springs exposed (not really a concern) however there appears to be fabric filler pieces between each leaf. The filler strips are extremely brittle and are pretty much falling apart. I'm sure that as I drive the strips will totally disintegrate. Anyone have experience with this set up? Do I need to be concerned when the filler material is gone?

Secondarily, the front coil springs have rubber inserts. I'm guessing these were to prevent the coils from totally collapsing and provide a softer ride over rough ground. Should I be replacing these as well? The shocks will be replaced.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.IMG_5376.jpgIMG_5377.jpg

FWIW on those in your front springs I think that is just a different type of wedges have been available to “cure”sagging springs, Similar to the metal “twist in” ones or the rubber ones that were kind of “H” shaped that you pushed in between the coils that were available from auto parts stores or more famously from places like J.C.Whitney, the d-I-y oriented places.

The rear springs might squeak a bit, that webbing material was supposed to accomplish that. Similar to the plastic discs that were sometimes used where the ends of the lower rear leafs contacted the upper leafs.

I would get the coil springs from Coil Spring Specialties, in St. Mary Kansas. They have most of the original engineering drawings from GM and are the leading coil spring manufacturer in the country. I have dealt with them for new springs many; times in the past and have never had a bad experience.

Back