Action needed federal level S.1529

Ray Stanton

PCS Member
As some of you may know from my previous post, my 1987 Cadillac limo by Ogara was forced off the road by NYS DMV, citing that my car does not comply with federal labeling for code 49cfr567.7 Paul Tonko from NY has introduced legislation S.1529 at federal level to push NY law all over the land. Anyone with a altered vehicle or stretch limo manufactured prior to 2011 will loose the ability to register your car and drive it. There is no exclusion for car show only vehicles. The proposed law needs to be modified to exclude not for hire vehicles manufactured prior to 2011, and exclude car show only vehicles. NYS DMV has rescinded all DOT exemptions for car show only, and you are not allowed to get a safety inspection, and your plates are taken away since no manufacturer will certify a car prior to 2011. Please contact your representatives, and inform them of the need of the car hobby exclusion. Once this law is passed, all our stretch limos will be junk heap or crushed, never to be driven again in ANY state. Let your voice be heard. In NY we have started a petition to present to Paul Tonko. You can use the SEMA link to notify your representatives. Please watch your local and federal laws closely. Biden has mandated by 2050 half of all cars on the road must be electric. The old car hobby may come under attack. link to law: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/1529/text Link to SEMA legislative messaging: https://www.semasan.com/state-legislators-who-support-hobby Go under legislators, find your representative. Let your voice be heard before it is too late. NY legislators are pushing hard to to make NY rules the same across all states. We had DOT exemptions for car show only, and they are now cancelled by NYS DMV.

Typically, these laws are not retroactive. It seems unrealistic to render all pre-2011 limousine junk, there will be many people, not just hobbyists moaning and groaning.

Lets begin with What's New?
The crap currently being faced by Limo owners and hearse as well as ambulance owners was fought to a standstill by the Military Vehicle collectors and antique truck collectors maybe 20 years ago.

NY has traditionally been a leader in implementing these brawls.

Search up politicians who are car guys and talk to them in the language they understand, BRIBES to their campaign war chest.

The current Town Supervisor in Greece is a total car freak, owned one of the operational Batmobiles till recently, and has a big collection today. He's a good ally to have since he is Deputy Chairman of the NY R Party.

Lets begin with What's New?
The crap currently being faced by Limo owners and hearse as well as ambulance owners was fought to a standstill by the Military Vehicle collectors and antique truck collectors maybe 20 years ago.

NY has traditionally been a leader in implementing these brawls.

Search up politicians who are car guys and talk to them in the language they understand, BRIBES to their campaign war chest.

The current Town Supervisor in Greece is a total car freak, owned one of the operational Batmobiles till recently, and has a big collection today. He's a good ally to have since he is Deputy Chairman of the NY R Party.
Spoke to him, he said to reach out to all NY members of SEMA, and I did. No one has responded, so we are doing a paper petition to present to Paul Tonko. currently attending local shows and collecting signatures. I think our issue is being dwarfed by the Gov resigning or impeachment, as well as social media.

For the last decade I have recommended writing to politicians, on paper, and mailing it to the house said politician dwells in. Mail, email and calls to their offices become statistics and nothing more. All mail to the Congress of Crooks goes to a warehouse in Virginia, not the Crapitall building.
Mail it to their house their wife will be on them like white on rice.
I see it as completely reasonable since they had no problem coming to my house to ask for my signature on their nominating petition. They even took it to GPS locating my front door in 2010 for their convenience.

I've taken it to the point of stopping by a politician's house to talk. He really wanted to hear what I had to say.

For the last decade I have recommended writing to politicians, on paper, and mailing it to the house said politician dwells in. Mail, email and calls to their offices become statistics and nothing more. All mail to the Congress of Crooks goes to a warehouse in Virginia, not the Crapitall building.
Mail it to their house their wife will be on them like white on rice.
I see it as completely reasonable since they had no problem coming to my house to ask for my signature on their nominating petition. They even took it to GPS locating my front door in 2010 for their convenience.

I've taken it to the point of stopping by a politician's house to talk. He really wanted to hear what I had to say.
We have done both so far. We have requested a meeting with one politician, we will see if we get a meeting, or whether they are too busy, or dont want to discuss the topic. Will keep you posted. Do we know how many members there are in NYS? Just curious how many people may be effected.

I understand why the law is being proposed in NY. There was a bad limousine wreck a few years ago with 20 people killed, and the limousine they were riding in was deemed unsafe. That is the "problem" they are trying to fix. But they didn't consider (didn't know) there were people who drive limousines as antiques, not for hire. That is the issue that needs to be brought to their attention - that this law needs to address For Hire limousines, and be amended to exclude the antiques not for hire.

I understand why the law is being proposed in NY. There was a bad limousine wreck a few years ago with 20 people killed, and the limousine they were riding in was deemed unsafe. That is the "problem" they are trying to fix. But they didn't consider (didn't know) there were people who drive limousines as antiques, not for hire. That is the issue that needs to be brought to their attention - that this law needs to address For Hire limousines, and be amended to exclude the antiques not for hire.
Agreed, spoke with one Congress man, and he did not think there were too many vehicles that would be effected, but he did share the issue with the person that wrote the federal bill. Now I have to meet with a local NY representative, as the NY law has to be amended for DMV to make any changes. It would be nice to know how many pre 2011 limos are on the road, or in our club. Other NY issues seem to have a greater attention right now. Thank you for your support

I encourage all members to write your federal representatives, to ask for S.1529 to exclude all collector limos (not for hire) pre 2011 from the federal labeling requirement. NYS DMV is taking plates away from non stretch limos registered in NY, if they do not have the labeling of CFR 49 part 567. This DMV law is not just for stretch limos. Serious collectors of professional vehicles, not for hire, are going to loose your rights to drive your car in any state if S.1529 is pushed all across the USA. NY owners are finding out just how far NYS is going as each person goes to get their car inspected. Attached to this post is a response from my local representative. Bare in mind the limo accident would never have happened, based upon previous DMV rules, if they were properly enforced. These new laws will not bring any justice to the 20 families who lost a loved one. These new laws are only hurting collectors of limos. Your voice needs to be heard, please take this legislation seriously. NY legislators don't seem to understand how many collectors are out there, and are more concerned with the media opportunity to say they pushed for safe limos. By the way, the owner who rented the vehicle that killed 20 people, got no jail time, it is insane that this person got to walk away from such careless operations. If your limo is for hire, then you need to provide a safe legal vehicle, it is a shame one person could destroy a part of our hobby.

Attachments

• PTonkoresp1.pdf
    616.9 KB · Views: 11
NY Legislators are a very special class of Lords.
For years they rolled I-90 at any speed they desired in their State provided car, and Troopers were dismissed by picking up the microphone in the car the Legislator was driving to order the Trooper off.

The Lords even have their very own Law that protects them from arrest when on State business.
Only time I ever saw a Lord care was when he got to meet some constituents on the Church steps one Sunday morning.

I'm not sure why you are having a problem registering yours. My hearse club is spread between buffalo and Syracuse. with most of them being older than 2011 and none of us have had any issues with registrations. Where abouts in NY do you live?

I'm not sure why you are having a problem registering yours. My hearse club is spread between buffalo and Syracuse. with most of them being older than 2011 and none of us have had any issues with registrations. Where abouts in NY do you live?
Mike, we are in the Albany capital district area. It is a state DMV law that is effecting altered vehicles. Your group is not being effected, as your vehicles may be on the commercial chassis, and you are not increasing passenger capacity. you are actually decreasing it. your vehicle may have a rating of 6 passengers, but you really are only carrying 2 attendants and one casket. The people that may be effected are the owners of a 9 passenger station wagon from the 70's or a Cadillac custom station wagon. Any vehicle that carries 9 passengers, which we know station wagons did if they had a third rear facing seat, would now require a CDL drivers license along with a passenger endorsement as of 02-01-2021. Hope that helps explain the new reality.

Back