1976 54XL Equipment

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I am not sure if this is the proper section of the Forum, but here I will post the medical and other equipment that will be part of my 54XL.

To me this hobby is more than just about the car. It is about the history of EMS, the vehicles and equipment that were used. My goal is to equip the car so that it would meet and exceed the minimum requirements set forth in the 1984 New Brunswick Standards for Ambulance Services. This car was in service until 1988, and as many of you know it was not unusual for these cars to be in service for 10 years and more, evolving from primary units to back-up units.

I intent to have as much vintage appropriate equipment as possible displayed in the car. The car will sometimes be equipped as a 9-1-1 unit, sometimes as a transfer unit, but the goal will be to always be to be representative of what it could have been back in the days.

Please feel free to comment on your stories or experiences and also to let me know if you have any equipment that would be the right fit for the car. Also feel free to post pictures of equipment you have in your car or in your possession.

I hope that this thread will remain positive and will contribute to the preservation of both these cars and their equipment.

The 1984 Standards required a Hand Held Spotlight. I just received this mint 400,000 Candelpower Hi-Beam Spotlight. It is complete with the box, instruction and warranty sheet as well as wall clip. There are unfortunately no dates on the spotlight itself, the box or the instruction sheet, but from the research I have done it should be from the correct era. I tested the unit and it works like a charm.

400000 Candelpower Hi-Beam Spotlight 01.jpg400000 Candelpower Hi-Beam Spotlight 02.jpg400000 Candelpower Hi-Beam Spotlight 03.jpg400000 Candelpower Hi-Beam Spotlight 04.jpg

We used to use a Cavitron Spot Light. It was a sealed beam spot with a rubber encased head, hand grip with spring release trigger and a curly cord. Before the days of wigwag headlights this made a great "alternate" emergency light when the attendant (right seat) shone the light into the mirrors of the vehicle we were trying to get by and needed to attract the other driver's attention. The other not so useful thing about these spot lights was when they were placed on the floor of the ambulance and the trigger got depressed. More than a few melted rubber floor mats resulted.

Keep us informed on your journey to equip the car Jean-Marc.

Back