1975 Lifeliner

Forgot to mention that I have to take the beacon off, drop rear tire pressure, and a few other things to clear the garage entrance. Silly. But it’s only been a week - am sure looking forward to getting the garage entrance height addressed.
Garage door panels come in 18" & 21" Measure the hight of the door panels, and then see how much room you have to the ceiling on the inside of the garage, between the ceiling and the bottom of the door opening. From the looks of the garage from the outside, you might not have that much room to have the door opening raised. A good carpenter can give you a better idea, and you might be able to get some additional room by using an engineered lam beam. You will also need to change the tracks to a low clearance track, and if you want a door opener, you will use a side winder, such as the Liftmaster 8500 door operator. I had one of my doors widened and raised, and it took about a week to complete the job. The door is now a 10' wide x 10' high opening. My door opener track is right on the ceiling.

Thanks Paul - appreciate it. I guess finding parts should something happen along the way. Nervous newbie!
As long as you don't touch the Cole Hersee switch until you turn off the engine, and count to 10, you will not blow out the alternator. That is the most difficult item to find parts for it. I don't know your level of mechanical experiance, but if you can do a basic engine tune up, you will be fine. I always keep a set of ignition points in the car, since they can burn out, but haven't needed them yet. Most everything for that car can be had from one of the national auto parts store overnight. Between Dan Scully (our technical advisor) and myself, we can probably talk you through almost any mechanical problem , short of a bad transmission or blowing up the engine, neither I would consider happening. You have 3 months to get the car ready for the trip. What are you waiting for? Get busy!!!:skipy:

No need for points , 75 is HEI . Maybe carry a spare rotor and ignition module at most on the ignition side of things.

D448X_Primary__ra_p.jpgLX-301_Front__ra_p.jpg

Last edited:
Garage door panels come in 18" & 21" Measure the hight of the door panels, and then see how much room you have to the ceiling on the inside of the garage, between the ceiling and the bottom of the door opening. From the looks of the garage from the outside, you might not have that much room to have the door opening raised. A good carpenter can give you a better idea, and you might be able to get some additional room by using an engineered lam beam. You will also need to change the tracks to a low clearance track, and if you want a door opener, you will use a side winder, such as the Liftmaster 8500 door operator. I had one of my doors widened and raised, and it took about a week to complete the job. The door is now a 10' wide x 10' high opening. My door opener track is right on the ceiling.
Paul, wow! Thanks for the recommendation. We're looking for a contractor for options - my wife has suggested an additional bay (she likes the ambulance; she wouldn't suggest that for one of the funeral coaches!)

As long as you don't touch the Cole Hersee switch until you turn off the engine, and count to 10, you will not blow out the alternator. That is the most difficult item to find parts for it. I don't know your level of mechanical experiance, but if you can do a basic engine tune up, you will be fine. I always keep a set of ignition points in the car, since they can burn out, but haven't needed them yet. Most everything for that car can be had from one of the national auto parts store overnight. Between Dan Scully (our technical advisor) and myself, we can probably talk you through almost any mechanical problem , short of a bad transmission or blowing up the engine, neither I would consider happening. You have 3 months to get the car ready for the trip. What are you waiting for? Get busy!!!:skipy:
this community is amazing! THANKS!

Hope you have many hours of enjoyment ahead.
I will defer to others , but I have never seen the micor in the patient compartment like you have. Makes perfect sense.
Thanks Tim. There is so much medical equipment that came with the rig - the previous owner is an awesome person. I know nothing about EMS but hope to set it up sort of true to era. Rich Litton has provided me some amazing information how things would have been set up in the late 70s.

I don't like how i had the drapes set up, so I started digging around today in my Miller-Meteor literature. It looks like Vanishades were standard from at least the early 60s until 1974. In 1975 the literature just mentions airplane style drapes. Yet my car has one Vanishade, which I thought was odd. But somehow I missed the obvious: I have a 1972 Frankenstein rear passenger door...at least the interior panel. I'd love to learn the story behind this! :thinkingface2:

1615130067708.jpeg

As a result of a lead from a former EMS worker/collector/member, I am now a very proud ambulance owner.

This 1975 Lifeliner was delivered to Morgan County Ambulance Service, Fort Morgan, CO on March 17, 1975 via McPeck Motor Coach Company, Denver, CO. It was originally Aspen White over Bolero Red. I have documentation of its use by Morgan County through 1983. It was later used by LifeCare Ambulance in Grand Junction, CO, but I am unsure in what capacity. I believe LifeCare painted it the current blue color. It was purchased by the previous owner on eBay in 2001.

The ambulance originally had a Federal beacon, 2 Ful-Vus over the cab, and a Federal Q. The last owner added 4 Ful-Vus on the upper roof and Federal electronic speakers. Also included with the ambulance was a number of pieces of equipment, including a Lifepak 4 defibrillator, a Dixie Thumper, Ferno stretcher, 4 folding stretchers, and multiple smaller pieces and kits/bags and comm devices.

The original fender skirts were apparently destroyed by tire chains and never replaced. I was also provided a pair that will need to be stripped/painted to match the car. Apologies in advance for the numerous questions I’m sure I will ask down the road! I posted photos in the member albums if anyone is interested. Thanks!View attachment 45583
Beautiful ambulance. My days in Flint with Zelley's, we always removed the skirts in the winter. Oh well, nice rig.

Congratulations!

If you're interested, correct mounting bases and speaker cones can be found occasionally from a PCS member or on eBay. Someone may be reproducing the bases (left and right side specific), but I don't remember who it is/was.

Just a note of caution; I don't know of anyone that owned one of these cars with grille lights that didn't have cooling issues, especially when idling for long periods.
These are the bases that you need for your speakers.Bases.jpg

I plan to be driving there from Des Moines IA, arriving by Monday 6/28. If anyone needs a pilot car to accompany them en route let me know, you can PM me and/or call me anytime, 727-365-4825. And my offer is still open if anyone needs a free ride I can be your personal Uber as well, there and back as long as it's somewhat on the way to pick you up and drop you off.

Back