1970 Olds fuel tank replacement

Tim Prieur

PCS Member
When Ed was completing the restoration of the 1970 C/B it became obvious there was a lot of sediment in the fuel tank. He attempted to clean it out, but unfortunately there is a baffle in the tank, and he could not reliably get behind it. He was able to flush out +++ old liner, and rust. Despite this, on trying to drive it now the fuel filter totally clogs up within 30-40 miles with dark brown sludge.
In a city of over 1.5 million, there is no one who is cleaning/relining gas tanks. Also cannot locate a new tank on line, including on the Oldsmobile forum. Would anyone have a suggestion on availability of a new tank? I cannot determine if a Cadillac tank would fit it.
Any help appreciated.

Using the search feature of the forums, I found the name of the company;y that does this type of repair that I listed in 2009. Shipping is going to be the difficult part since it has to be drained and totally sealed so no fumes can escape and most likely shipped by motor freight. In the original thread, Scott Anderson a former PCS Member wrote how he got the tank ready for transportation. The company is located in PA and they give a lifetime warranty on the repair. I did call and they said that the repair is approximately $450 but can change depending on the extent of the work. https://professionalcarsociety.org/threads/fuel-tank-repair.1066/ There are also franchised locations in Ontario, Quebec, and Newfoundland. To locate a dealer click on the link https://www.gastankrenu.com/locate-a-dealer/ . You can use the locator to possibly find a US dealer that is closer to you.

The problem was that when this was done in Florida. They did not properly prepair the tank before dumping in the liner. So the liner did not stick to the inside. Then the lenght of time it just sat with most likly a 10% mix in it. I figured that because it ate up the new fuel gage the had put in it. Fishing threw the gage hole i retrieved a lot of the loose liner out of it. When i ran the magnet around the inside it came out clean. The vent lines run across the top of the inside of the tank. They were rough from what i could feel but some were there has to be a pocket of rust. Beating on the tank, blowing air threw it did not knock it loose but driving it plugs the filter i put on the suction side of the new pump. One might get away with puting a 72 tank in it. The fuel the same place and were the same shape. The difference would be the vent. The used a 3 line pickup, return and vent. Fuel gage in 71 were the 70 had only suction and return with the tank vent separate. I would look for a used tank. Send that one in to be cleaned and lined. What ever is in that tank is to small for the sock to catch. But enough to of it to keep plugging the filter. My bets on the duel vent tubes across the top.

Well, after much hunting, and speaking to folks, a tank for a 70 Olds 98 is not reproduced. Finally spoke with one of the large tank reproduction companies, and with pics they thought they could find a close GM product, but Angggttt!!!, will not ship to Canada, and they are in Minnesota. Cripes.
So, in the end, found someone local to boil it. Treated it with Acetone +++, and FULL of old liner and rust. Then acid dipped and boiled... still lots of old liner. Will try and reline it, and see how it goes. If no luck, may have to defer to the winter, when my wife becomes a snow bird, and I will get one shipped to her to bring home. Do you think it would fit in carry on???

Yes, thanks Paul, I am on the forum. They amazingly had no solution other than find a good donor car.
Will send an update once we are back and running (hopefully).

They claimed the one i found will not fit the big car? The only way to clean that one would be to split it and then clean and re solder it back togather. The rust has to be hiding under that liner. Hard to believe with that much it's not pin holed.

Tim, Desert Valley Auto Parts shows two 1970 Olds 98s in their yards, and three Delta 88s. One of the 98 cars, (a convertible) looks more like an 88 to me from the rear (DVD70OL3383B). The other one (DVD70OL5882R) is a very complete 98. I would be happy to pick it up and hold it for you if you run out of other viable options.

The only difference i. The 98 and 88 was the fuel sending unit. There is a 88 unit it Tims tank now because they no longer produce the slosh proof 98 one.

Fuel sending units can be rebuilt to work like new ones. The only problem with the vendor that does this work is that they presently have a 6-month backlog of work in progress.

Back