1966 M-M lowtop project in CA

I'm in love with this old girl, I love lowtop M-Ms, especially ones with the typical CA amber beacon ray. Plus this one has factory tunnels to boot, somewhat unusual on a M-M of this vintage as they more often had Ful-Vus. A somewhat sure sign that she was built as a straight ambulance, not a combo turned into an ambulance. But I guess clear windows might prove me wrong and reveal rollers on the floor!

It also appears she may have once sported a siren on her passenger side front hood area, possibly a Q?

This girl might have once been set up similarly to Robert Shepard's 1966 C/B that he once had when he owned his ambulance service, that I am also in love with. Although Robert's didn't have tunnels though, and his had dual red beacons up front with a CA steady burn red lensed light between them (and a single amber beacon ray aft). But his had a Q on the right front hood area, too, like this one possibly had at one time.

I'm in love with this old girl, I love lowtop M-Ms, especially ones with the typical CA amber beacon ray. Plus this one has factory tunnels to boot, somewhat unusual on a M-M of this vintage as they more often had Ful-Vus. A somewhat sure sign that she was built as a straight ambulance, not a combo turned into an ambulance. But I guess clear windows might prove me wrong and reveal rollers on the floor!

It also appears she may have once sported a siren on her passenger side front hood area, possibly a Q?

This girl might have once been set up similarly to Robert Shepard's 1966 C/B that he once had when he owned his ambulance service, that I am also in love with. Although Robert's didn't have tunnels though, and his had dual red beacons up front with a CA steady burn red lensed light between them (and a single amber beacon ray aft). But his had a Q on the right front hood area, too, like this one possibly had at one time.
That footprint on the r.f. fender is a lot smaller than what a "Q" would have made.

This is likely the same car.View attachment 45519
Great photo, thanks for sharing it. One thing the photo points out is that sometimes ambulance services were more than a singular business. I make the assumption in this photo, they were affiliated with a service garage, maybe? I remember seeing ambulance and towing companies affiliated and we all know about ambulances and funeral homes.

No affiliation, San Jose Ambulance was a standalone service.

Attachments

• 0CD05971-9812-4953-A545-3C4408FC616C.jpeg
    0CD05971-9812-4953-A545-3C4408FC616C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • B58AC325-9299-4FF3-9D76-4AF11149AEC5.jpeg
    B58AC325-9299-4FF3-9D76-4AF11149AEC5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Were the blue & red two-tone rear interiors common on these cars? I see it has a blue and red interior front, and back. It looks like the carpeting could be pulled off and either replace or restore the original floor, new headliner, all new steering wheel and driver's cab appointments including instrument cluster, but man. This car could be a real gem again for a lot of money. But a very rare M-M low-top with factory installed tunnels instead of the more common ful-vues. Not that I don't love ful-vues, but I'm thinking tunnels on a lowtop are a dead giveaway the car was birthed as an ambulance instead of combo. Or did M-M make de-mountable tunnels of this style?

Wow, even their cot was two-tone red & blue, red blanket, and red/blue stripes on the pillow and seatbelts to match the interior appointments! I see their techs with red jackets, white pants, and I'll just bet there's blue somewhere on their uniform shirts. They must have really been high class operators. That's fascinating about Standard Oil paying for the co-branding on their sign. Let me guess, San Jose Ambulance was taken over by AMR. :nausiatedemojii2:

Wow, even their cot was two-tone red & blue, red blanket, and red/blue stripes on the pillow and seatbelts to match the interior appointments! I see their techs with red jackets, white pants, and I'll just bet there's blue somewhere on their uniform shirts. They must have really been high class operators. That's fascinating about Standard Oil paying for the co-branding on their sign. Let me guess, San Jose Ambulance was taken over by AMR. :nausiatedemojii2:
No blue at all.

Someone really needs to save and restore this rarity! It's missing a lot of moldings and a little messed up inside, but you won't find another low top M-M with tunnel lights!

Someone really needs to save and restore this rarity! It's missing a lot of moldings and a little messed up inside, but you won't find another low top M-M with tunnel lights!
If I had the financial means I would buy this precious gem, and pay to have it fully restored to its original glory and beauty! Unfortunately I can't swing it financially, not even close.

Back